Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Alfa Project

It's turning out to be a major mission just to get the engine out, having to cut up parts of the chassis and disassembling far more than I should have to in order to get clearance. All the front chassis bracing, air-ducting and oil cooler parts have to come out in one: much head scratching to find the best solution required. Still it gives an opportuning to redesign everything that has been disassembled so that it will be far easier in future. This picture also highlights just how far back in the engine bay the engine sits; like a front mid-mounted config: No.1 cylinder is basically inline with the front axle. This is what has led to the almost perfect weight distribution 51:49. With all the changes I've made to the car it may even be 50:50 now as a lot of weight has been removed from the front end:

49802514911_95da3b5917_k.jpg

Good luck with the removal. I'm ( and I'm sure many others here) interested whats inside. Please keep us posted.
The engine in my Tiv sits really far back too, #6 is well under the windscreen. 6 &5 plugs are a b*tch to reach

infrasilver said:
Is it supposed to come out from the top or underneath and does the gearbox come with it to make it easier?

Engine and gearbox designed to come out from above. The funny thing is this car retains some typical Italian future maintenance and access considerations. The reason in this case is the bare chassis had the custom welded in engine subframe built first, then everything else was designed and fitted afterwards. No consideration was given to what if the engine ever needs to come out... So as I go about any job on this car I am constantly redesigning almost every part to make it far more everyday usable. By the time I'm finished the engine build, engine and gearbox removal will be a simple 30min job.

As examples there is no radiator drain plug, fixed window (can't lower/raise), couldn't remove wheels without removing wheel bearing cover, no driver seat adjustment, suspension components complicated redesign, throttle and injection system limitations, E85 fuel not available so complete fuel system and ECU redesign, full range of steering angle not possible... and many, many more

All of these issues are now resolved or in the process of redesign which you could look at in two ways: 1. A PITA or 2. (as I try to see it), a great challenge which enables you to develop new creative ideas. I'm not going to lie, it has been a massive headache in many cases to resolve these issues, but overall the finished car will be something I can look back at and feel a special connection with as it really is a one-off in the truest sense of the word. After this final phase (engine rebuild and associated rework) is complete, the car will be a truly usable proposition which I intend to spend a lot of time doing something I've not been doing with any of my cars over the last 4 years or so; actually driving the things. That's the hope anyway ;)

Sounds like a great project. I am often impressed with Porsche design at how well various parts fit together, which if very slightly different could be an absolute pain to work on. Where would the fun be if it was perfect when you got it?

MC

Been a while since an update primarily due to the fact I've simply not been in the garage for two months. Anyway now diagnosed the fault (Cyl No.3 no pressure):

Stripped the inlet manifold off and you can see here an M5 bolt stuck between head and valve:
50053642912_74973e8f5d_k.jpg

50052821828_ebae2582ba_k.jpg

M5 bolt came from here from the carbon airbox:

50053395176_a5c0d64c6f_k.jpg

Engine strip required to check for further damage:

50052820973_2e5f820316_k.jpg

50053394091_64138a61e1_k.jpg

The result is basically I have to replace a bent valve and associated components and I've now sent the head away to remachine the valve seat. The piston has also been impacted but luckily no bore damage so I have simply die ground the piston for valve clearance in situ:

50053393326_48c1de11b3_k.jpg

50053393781_27f01b2fe9_k.jpg

Assuming I get away with a simple valve seat rework, it looks like I've been very lucky. Should hopefully get the head back next week so I can rebuild it all again :D

You are right infrasilver, I was very lucky indeed to get away with this minimal damage.

Head now back from the machine shop so now the fun of the engine rebuild starts

50081375863_6b0759dc4d_k.jpg

Engine rebuilt, so finally, after nearly a year of painstakingly going over the car with a fine toothed comb, fine tuning it to within an inch of its life, it is time to start driving the thing; and properly!!! After getting it through the TUV process that is :?

50081375628_3a1d02dd92_k.jpg

A little shakedown at the weekend ;)

50535185528_dcf0062623_k.jpg

50533276357_6268b16d87_k.jpg

50533121146_f96cb2cb35_k.jpg

you wouldnt happen to be in the uk with the car would you?

kingston said:
you wouldnt happen to be in the uk with the car would you?
Funny you ask Kingston, part of it actually is at this moment in time. I'm having some brake components re-manufactured (TUV compliance issue again), so I sent the original items to the UK for this. How come you ask? Did you see one similar?
I'd like to start doing some tours with the car and I'm sure I'll bring it over to the UK at some point but right now I'm still concentrating on getting it through the TUV process. In the words of the TUV approval Inspector this is by far the most challenging car they have ever had to deal with. I must have now been 9 or 10 times. But I am now down to 8 items which need to be addressed, the brake lines being one of them and all going well it will then be accepted.

coullstar said:
Very lucky! Looks ace. How does it feel?

Driving a handmade one-off is a bit nerve-wracking. Driving one that is still effectively a test mule that you have no basis or standard to judge it against make giving an accurate appraisal of how it is, a bit tricky. It is very edgy, noisy, raw and manic in just about everything it does. Once I get it TUV'd (hopefully very soon now), I can then really start to drive it, dial out most of the NVH and fine tune all the current list of issues I have picked up in the short frantic drives I've managed so far. You should come over next year when it is all finished and I'll take you out in it ;)

hello,

indeed i did, was on a flatbed that was pulling another covered car transporter so didnt see it till the last moment. Just saw a red old school Alfa and the rest is history/world can be a small place sometimes.

ELA said:
I must have now been 9 or 10 times.

:grin:

That's proper dedication that. I reckon you'll be invited to their Xmas party.
Glad it's almost there Richard. It looks ace mind. 8)

PS. As has been said that bolt incident could have been much worse. I'm glad you got off lightly. :thumb:

I had a photoshoot with the cars last weekend so some of you may appreciate some professional pictures rather than my terrible iphone shots. Around another 400 or so pictures available here but a few sample pics below.

50845400527_8799da6e75_k.jpg

50845314396_955569fa6b_k.jpg

50845402147_468c066e50_k.jpg

50845312966_2ba157e94d_k.jpg

50844587088_a4661322be_k.jpg

50845398712_367a11e4ce_k.jpg

50845311456_968fb564ee_k.jpg

50844585788_db23e7cd5e_k.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members