Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Child seat position and removal of fold down rear seat back

GP41

Nurburgring
We've currently got the Porsche Child seat fitted in the back of our Carrera 4 coupe and it always seems to have a very vertical seating position - it doesn't looks very comfortable for our 8 year old (and she's only a small 8 year old)

I feel like I've got 2 options: take the back off the child seat and revert to it being a booster only which I'm not really happy about (see Britax's Bin the Booster video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMez6Nfe50) especially with the lack of rear airbags, or try and take the fold down top section of the back seat away, allowing it to lean back a little more.

Anybody done that? Would it be difficult? Would it be safe? I'm sure I saw a thread a while back about this but can't find it now.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

I'm interested in this... I need to buy a new child seat for my daughter, the technology continually seems to be improving... Could do with a thin/strong carbon fibre upright :D

that's a great idea! I've been struggling with the same thing.

I'll work out how to do it this weekend and get back to you with pictures.

Are you aware that the rear seat bases come out very easily. Maybe this will help with the booster positioning.

Graemep - thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Chowgar - yes, we already took out the base - partly to protect it and partly to get the seat to sit down into the bucket shape better. The downside to this is that the childseat is too low relative to the seatbelt buckle but I can live with that.

Andyspencer100 - did you have any luck?

Looking at it again this weekend you can see it really isn't a great fit. It does seem to help a little with the flap pulled out at the back. I did notice that with the top of the back of the seat raised a little you are getting very close to the roof lining. I just hope when the back's off that this doesn't push the seat too far back to where the rooflining comes even lower.

Definitely worth a go though - the picture in that link showing the seat removed does look like a better space to put the seat into.

Thanks again all - I'll give this a try.

I wouldn't remove the seat backs in the rear, there will be nothing to stop the car seat falling backwards. Maybe pull the base forward a little and place a piece of foam or something similar under the front of it to provide a bit of angle?

photos!?

stressballsteve said:
I wouldn't remove the seat backs in the rear, there will be nothing to stop the car seat falling backwards. Maybe pull the base forward a little and place a piece of foam or something similar under the front of it to provide a bit of angle?

That a great point for you coupe owners. I've yet to get round to to this sorry as I've been reinforcing the garage ceiling to board it out for storage so propels bikes aren't sat next to my car!

Finally had a crack at this yesterday. Thought it worth updating to save everybody else wasting an hour or so doing this as it doesn't work. When you do have the back support off, the child seat seems to fit less well than it did with it in. Removing the seat does in theory allow you to get the seat further back but then the base and side start catching in different places preventing the seat from resting in a stable position.

By the way, if you do decide to have a go anyway, the bolt that holds the bearing onto the side of the car has what appears to be a Torx T42 head. I've got gazillions of Torx bits and sockets but no T42s so I ended up grinding the end off a T40 so where the bit starts to taper out goes further into the bolt head and gets better purchase. :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back