Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CCU Removal Query

Darthmjh

Silverstone
I would like to remove my CCU but can't work out how to get it past the indicator stalk.

I have read the threads and Tim did a great guide, which said

I've done this recently and on a RHD car it at first appears to be impossible:

1. Free it off using the stereo removal keys.
2. If it's never been out before: snip the cable tie that holds the bundle of cables going into the CCU. If you don't do this, at best you'll only slide it out a few inches.
3. 'While you're down there', free off the nut that secures the indicator stalk unit to the sleeve around the steering column. I thinks M8 or M10 and is easily accessed through the hole in the underside of the plastic housing behind the steering wheel. This allows you to rotate the stalks clear of the CCU when you slide it out.

However I am stuck on point 3. Do I have to remove the steering wheel to be able to get to the nuts to rotate the stalk? I can't see any hole in the underside of the housing.

Many thanks

removing the CCU doesn't need any cable snipping. My top tip is to cover the top of you knee bar with some cloths secured by masking tape. This is because you will need to rest the CCU a little while you struggle to undo the plastic clips which can be quite tough the first time. If you are very dextrous you can lie on your back and potentially start the unclipping process from under the knee bar before you even remove the CCU unit.

You release the CCU unit itself by pushing a pair of those large U shaped release bars into the two holes in either side of the CCU into. Once you've done it once, it's very easy.

I can remove the CCU by pushing the stalk up to the highest position, my car is LHD but you should be able to do the same thing with the right stalk on your car.

There is definitely a hole down there as you need to undo this to get the cowl on and off, this is the same wether you have an airbag or non airbag cowl, you are looking for an oblong hole for an 8mm socket. The socket goes in at an angle.

Thanks for the replies. I am worried about breaking the stalk. I have lifted it and pulled it towards me and the CCU is still catching.

I have found the hole underneath, but it looks like there is a connector there and not a nut.

51982833606_235617d6cc_z.jpg

Darthmjh said:
Thanks for the replies. I am worried about breaking the stalk. I have lifted it and pulled it towards me and the CCU is still catching.

I have found the hole underneath, but it looks like there is a connector there and not a nut.

Yes, that's just a hole :)

If you want to loosen the stalks to give more room to remove CCU, then you need to get to the mechanism holding the stalks. So that is achieved by removing steering wheel, horn ring and plastic front plate (four screws) which from memory will give access to the screws holding the stalks unit. These can be removed to loosen the stalks. I would expect this will give you enough play to make you feel more comfortable removing the CCU. Full removal of the stalks is more involved as the connectors pass into the dashboard and can only be accessed by removing the knee bar.

Not wanting to encourage you to break anything, but unless your car is somehow different to mine (std rhd), I've removed my CCU many times in the last ten years without having to mess with the indicators at all.

Darthmjh said:

Look into the hole towards the steering column, the nut is at an angle in there. Imagine a jubilee clamp holding this to the steering column, this is basically what you're looking for.

Stick a long 8mm socket in there towards the steering column and after bit of gentle fiddling it should settle on the nut. If you can get and eye (or phone camera) on it, it will all make sense.

Cheers for the replies. I will give it a go.

I was worried about breaking the stalk too but i persevered and it didnt break; removed fluff from the sensor but the AC still goes cold after a while .... grrrr

Good luck[/quote]

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowrick
Back