Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling Ohlins R/T users on a Carrera 4

linson

Hi, I’m after some advice. A few years back I fitted Ohlins coil overs on my 2002 Carrera 4. 2 or 3 years ago Ohlins did a recall of the front struts and supplied new struts with Elephant Racing uni ball top mounts. After about 5000 miles and 2 years a knock has developed from the front near side which my excellent Indy has diagnosed as play in the uni ball bearing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible to just replace the bearing with an off the shelf item. I don’t really want to shell out for complete new top mounts. My Indy feels uniball bearings are much more of a track than road item and are likely to be short lived. If I can’t find a bearing I may just live with it and see if it gets worse.

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

For road use the Elephant top mounts are overkill. If the spherical bearings are worn to the point they’re knocking, I’d find a decent Porsche independent and get them to establish which side is knocking, then remove the offending mount and strip it down, including, if possible the spherical bearing from its carrier, and see if the bearing Elephant use is an easily available commercial item.

If it is, buy one from one of the many excellent bearing suppliers to be found in the UK. If it’s not an easily/cheaply sourced item, I’d revert to the OE Porsche top mount assemblies.
They’ll be quieter and smoother, though you may lose a tiny bit of precision, but it won’t be a night and day difference.

Thanks for the reply Slippydiff. I agree that the Elephant Racing mounts are
overkill but the standard mounts cannot be used with the recall replacement struts. I believe Ohlins have carried out further design changes so the latest version can once again be retained but sadly not mine.

Since I posted my Indy has identified the bearing size and replaced it with a third party item. Apparently it’s a fairly common size. I think I’m just going to have to get used these being a short life item.

Cheers

Glad you got it sorted. Sounds like you have a good Indy.
My experiences with Elephant’s 996 components were less than stellar I’m afraid.
I suspect their bearings whilst “decent”, aren’t the best quality, and with bearings you really do get what you pay for. Basically the cheaper they are, the shorter their lifespan, and the sooner they start to rattle, which in turn rapidly accelerates the wear process.

See if you can find out what the bearing size was, and what make of bearing was used. If it wasn’t a Fluro or Minebea Motorsport quality spherical bearing, it’s life expectancy will most likely be compromised.
It’s definitely worth paying the extra for the best available.

My old ohlins suspension was part of the recall. The top mounts may be overkill but that was their solution for the recalled shocks so I’d be careful about using something else.

I got rid of mine after that happened.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will.i.am911
Back