Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2S Tip - Thoughts ??

Gents, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this :

https://www.cameronsportscars.com/v...ale-in-chippenham-south-gloucestershire-u762/

To add some context I've been around the block a bit Porsche wise over the past 10 years or so, did the 993 thing with a manual C2 so kind of know what to expect running cost/upgrade wise. Then went 997.1GT3, 997.2GT3, 981GT4 and am currently running a nice 997.2 C2S manual. All are/have been weekend/holiday cars.

I bought the current 997 with a view to it being the one to keep and it turning into what the 993 C2S is now ten years or so down the line.

Despite all the pluses of the 997 - cheaper to buy/run, more reliable, better performance the pull of the air cooled is still strong.

Arctic with black is the dream combo for me hence the interest in this car, potential negatives :

Tiptronic - I've never driven a tiptronic 993, will it kill the experience, I've no desire to go racing either on track or on the street so kind of like the idea of wafting around in an auto ??

Lack of Hardback Sports Seats - yes much debated but i just love the look of them, Southbound used to offer the option of building them up from OEM parts, obviously £££ but as part of a future re-trim maybe an option. Has anyone gone down this route ??

Price - this car has been advertised for a good while now(maybe getting on a year?), on face value it looks a nice example, presume it is the Tip box that is making it a slow seller or is it just too highly priced currently ??

Appreciate any thoughts guys
:thumbs:

Hi,

Looks a lovely car :thumb: I can't comment on price but regarding it being a Tip, it's a Tip S, I can see the paddles on the steering wheel. l've had my Tip S since 2000 and have had a great deal of fun with the car. There are those that don't favour the Tip but in my personal opinion they are great. You have the best of both worlds, with the sit back and let the gearbox take care of you, or use the paddles or the stick and have fun without having to use a clutch, bit like am F1 car :D. Some say that they are not as fast as a manual... true, about 5 mph slower BUT, you'd need the skills of Lewis Hamilton to benefit. There was a post on here a week or so back with a write up about the Tip and what you can get out of them. Worth a read, go here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1570736&highlight=#1570736
page 4.

I'd have no hesitation in buying that car. Good luck, what ever you decide.

ATB. :)

Hi

I have had a Tip 993 for about 10 years and now also have a Tip 986. I also used to have a manual 964.

Personally speaking I love the Tip. As long as you never put it in full auto mode you will probably get along just fine. The car can be used in waft mode on the steering wheel buttons and it quite suits it that way. The only thing you will need to do in my opinion is get it mapped by someone who knows what they are doing (I used Wayne at Chipwizards). It really makes a difference to the low speed pickup of the car. Like a big difference. They like to take off in 2nd and have some idiosyncrasies, but if you want to press on then they take up the challenge just like a manual. They are very different to a normal slush box. They also have a lock up so its only at lower revs you get any "slippage".

The later boxes in the 996/986 have an extra gear and are a bit more responsive. Its a shame you cannot retro fit them! Mind you I have never actually looked into that.

Looks like a lovely car. Get negotiating!

All the best

Berni

Its a lovely car from a respected dealer, priced about right and you know both the marque and model well........

....so you've answered your own question..........its a tip

Its worth noting that in the UK there where more 2S tips sold than manuals (it was the opposite in the rest of the world) ....and the market reflects that......if this car was a manual with hardbacks it would be £10k more and would have sold a lot quicker.........so you need to decide if you want to put your money in a nice tip or not....only you can decide that......that partly down to how it drives but if we're honest at this part of the market its also about retained value etc.........I always take the view at worst the total cost of ownership will be the same it's just weather you want to tie another £xk up in the car, you will always get that back on resale ....but with the potential that the manual to tip gap will widen as the cars get more valuable (I personally think they will)......my real world example is that 7-8 years ago a WB was a £10k premium over a narrow body.....tip made a slight different on that......the gap nb "”> WB has widened but so has the gap manual to tip (all other things being equal)......that will only continue IMHO .....

.....personally I would put my money in a manual as its a rarer car, more fun to drive as a hobby / occasional car and it has the max potential to retain / gain value.

Ps now is a great time to invest in a 993.......capital gain tax is set to take hammering over the next few years so any asset base with no capital gains tax will be an even more attractive place to put your money :grin:

Pps the 997 WB comparison to 993 WB will never work the same for the simple reason that there are far too many of them compared to the 993 WB :bandit:

jonttt said:
Its a lovely car from a respected dealer, priced about right and you know both the marque and model well........

Its worth noting that in the UK there where more 2S tips sold than manuals (it was the opposite in the rest of the world) ....and the market reflects that......if this car was a manual with hardbacks it would be £10k more and would have sold a lot quicker.........so you need to decide if you want to put your money in a nice tip or not....only you can decide that......that partly down to how it drives but if we're honest at this part of the market its also about retained value etc.........I always take the view at worst the total cost of ownership will be the same it's just weather you want to tie another £xk up in the car, you will always get that back on resale ....but with the potential that the manual to tip gap will widen as the cars get more valuable (I personally think they will)......my real world example is that 7-8 years ago a WB was a £10k premium over a narrow body.....tip made a slight different on that......the gap nb "”> WB has widened but so has the gap manual to tip (all other things being equal)......that will only continue IMHO .....

.....personally I would put my money in a manual as its a rarer car, more fun to drive as a hobby / occasional car and it has the max potential to retain / gain value.

Ps now is a great time to invest in a 993.......capital gain tax is set to take hammering over the next few years so any asset base with no capital gains tax will be an even more attractive place to put your money :grin:

Pps the 997 WB comparison to 993 WB will never work the same for the simple reason that there are far too many of them compared to the 993 WB :bandit:

This ^^^^^

911Sport have a C4S in for just a bit more money. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010024513156

991.2GTS said:
jonttt said:

This ^^^^^

911Sport have a C4S in for just a bit more money. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010024513156

Wow...That's the first time i've seen a WB car with a NB front bumper...?! :dont know:

C.

Yep, weird seeing a WB with the wrong bumper.....obvious guess is it had a bump at some point and the wrong second hand bumper was fitted :grin:

cableguy said:
991.2GTS said:
jonttt said:

This ^^^^^

Wow...That's the first time i've seen a WB car with a NB front bumper...?! :dont know:

C.

I'd have never have noticed, need to do more homework. :oops:

Is that correct? That the C4S at 911 Sport has the wrong front bumper? If so, thank you all - I was just looking at the car with a view to purchasing. It seems keenly priced and in good order and a sensible mileage.

Thank you for spotting it.

SW

SecondWind said:
Is that correct? That the C4S at 911 Sport has the wrong front bumper? If so, thank you all - I was just looking at the car with a view to purchasing. It seems keenly priced and in good order and a sensible mileage.

SW

There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation... you may just need to dig a little.
For example, last year I hit a pheasant whilst accelerating down a country road. Cracked the front intake bar and smashed a bottom corner resulting in a new bumper skin required. Nothing wrong with anything else apart from plastics.

Previous owner may have done something similar and rushed into buying a second hand bumper, forgetting that there are two different styles!

C.

Really nice car. I wouldn't hesitate.
I bought a C2S Tip S in 2009 from Paragon and really love it.
I understand the comments from other members and think John TT and others sum it pretty well.
I am elderly and have no interest in how fast it is or even how involved I am in the driving experience. I like the noise and the experience. I like the easy drive. I rarely use the steering wheel buttons and it suits me.
When it comes to values it is clear that Manuals are more attractive than Tips.
I had no interest in investment value when I bought it and even less now.
I will probably pop my clogs before I sell it so sales value is not really interesting
I was looking for a manual in 2009 when I came across my car. I realised it was a good drive and delivered all the performance I needed.
It's a personal choice.

Do what you like.

SecondWind said:

SW

The car at 911sport ran an RS front spoiler set up both front and back for most of its life, the last long term owner sold the car with these items still on, they have subsequently been removed, it also had an RS steering wheel and gear selector.

The car was sold into the trade around Feb March time and 911 sport landed with it early summer.

pics below

Attachments

• 75148921_bdc1_4565_92e9_d6c97628c8f1_644.jpeg
    75148921_bdc1_4565_92e9_d6c97628c8f1_644.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,502
  • cbf4d601_576e_44ce_9854_999ca62f2678_914.jpeg
    cbf4d601_576e_44ce_9854_999ca62f2678_914.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,502
Thank you again - so much knowledge on this forum. Do you know the car well -or does anyone else? Looks much better without the body kit! Is there a story?

I'm still planning on mine going early next year. Could be persuaded to let it go sooner. But not a tip. Just spent £7,500 on it a few weeks ago knowing I would be selling it soon - tells you all you need to know on how well I have maintained it. 🤪

Attachments

• 4008e8d3_4677_47fd_852f_4e4cac385c4c_121.jpeg
    4008e8d3_4677_47fd_852f_4e4cac385c4c_121.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 3,328

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back