Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

brake upgrades

cvega

Nurburgring
new year, new thing to look upon. With my new power reserves, I certainly would like to improve braking on my 2003 996 c2.
What's the best option here?
Turbo calipers + gt3 master cylinder? or perhaps aftermarket brake calipers?

You won't fit turbo calipers unless you fit GT3 uprights. I'd go for some decent pads and GT3 brake ducts as a starting point

MC

decent discs and pads
GT3 brake ducts (996.341.483.01 & 996.341.484.01)
braided flexible hoses (goodridge etc)
GT3 master cylinder (997.355.910.30 - OEM/TRW part available for 160 quid)
decent brake fluid (Motul rbf 600)

also make sure all the brake hard lines are in good shape.

Martin996RSR Has developed a big brake kit which keeps the standard callipers but works with a 350mm disc.

Do a search on this site, there are several threads on 'upgrades' although I find the standard brakes fine for road use.

What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

cvega said:
new year, new thing to look upon. With my new power reserves, I certainly would like to improve braking on my 2003 996 c2.

Been there done that with my 996 Turbo, I held off for ages because of the price, but the best thing I did ...Night and day difference was fit Pagid RS29 pads!!
Last forever too!

Honesty, try a set before you do anything else, they will sell second hand easily if you are not happy...which I doubt.

Obviously its good to have a regular fluid change, especially on 996s :thumb:

angry said:
cvega said:

Been there done that with my 996 Turbo, I held off for ages because of the price, but the best thing I did ...Night and day difference was fit Pagid RS29 pads!!
Last forever too!

Honesty, try a set before you do anything else, they will sell second hand easily if you are not happy...which I doubt.

Obviously its good to have a regular fluid change, especially on 996s :thumb:

This and beat me to it. Fit pagid RSL29 and once there is heat in them it will pin the nose to the ground at 100mph+ no bother. The caliper and disc are more than enough on a 1400kg car with proper pads. You could spend a heap of money and easily make them worse. Just my 2p worth

thanks for the input guys, Appreciated.
Sounds like a new pads, discs and a decent fluid should be enough. Maybe the master cylinder as we're gonna replace fluid anyway.

As for problem solving, spongy pedal and sad screeching noises (mot had advisory for discs pitted, so it's time!)

Pagid RS29 pads worth every penny!!

What are the pagid pads like for noise?? I notice they don't have the balance weights on like oe or the Brembo hp2000 pads.

jond58 said:
What are the pagid pads like for noise?? I notice they don't have the balance weights on like oe or the Brembo hp2000 pads.

I have upgraded to 6 pots on the front and turbo fronts on the rear, they can squeak a little!!

Attachments

• 882372a6_08c5_48c7_9d2e_9c6b0e335b4c_151.jpeg
    882372a6_08c5_48c7_9d2e_9c6b0e335b4c_151.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 932
  • 882372a6_08c5_48c7_9d2e_9c6b0e335b4c_151.jpeg
    882372a6_08c5_48c7_9d2e_9c6b0e335b4c_151.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 932
Turbo front calipers on the rear? What have you done for the massive rearward bias?

MC

jond58 said:

They will squeel if you pootle about and don't get enough heat in them. If your pootling about and not using the brakes hard and from decent speed then they are not ideal. They only work really well once they are hot. They will eat your discs though so be warned. I put them on brand new discs 1500 mike's ago and already have a good lip on the front discs. Awesome stopping power though so it's horses for course's.

Not issues..brakes and perform perfectly

What are you looking to achieve?

IMHO RSL29 pads are overkill for the road, they are a fantastic track pad and have cult status, however there are other Pagid RS pads more suited to road use, RS42, RS44 as an example

If you see RSL29's in a caliper and they are still yellow in colour they have not been used as intended and subsequently a waste of money.

They are usable on the road, but are intend as an endurance trackpad and on the road will squeal and cold bite is sub-optimal.

Below is an image of a set that has come out of my track car, they go black when heat cycled. (The blue pads are Pagid RS5, now discontinued but similar in performance to RS29)

If you looking for a more positive pedal, changing the master cylinder will provide this and reduce the pedal travel.

I would not fit a 997 GT3, 27mm, master cylinder, I have walked this path and it does not work on a 996 with standard calipers, many downsides.

If you want to replace the MC go for a 25.4mm from a 996 Turbo / GT3. - No downside apart from cost, significant more expensive than the 27mm.

As suggested by others 997 GT3 ducts front and rear are a cheap upgrade, as is high temp brake fluid, castrol SRF or Motul RBF660 are both great, however both will only provide a noticable difference when the brakes are hot and being stressed over a prolonged period, same goes for braided hoses.

Standard discs corrode on the inside, so even when the outsides look good, the insides can be beaten up. If worked hard cracks will start to appear from the holes on the discs, said holes also fill up with brake dust which can hinder airflow a little. - If you can get slotted discs I would.

Giro discs are a step up in size and performance, they also lighter, but expensive.

In honesty its a case of marginal incremental gains.

Attachments

• pagid_yellow_260.jpg
    pagid_yellow_260.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 879
  • pagid_yellow_260.jpg
    pagid_yellow_260.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 879

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member