Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pipe fittings

X911

Silverstone
Attempted to fit my Goodridge SS brake lines today but having problems with the fittings on the rigid to flexible lines. I can get an 11mm flared spanner on but it just slips and gives me no purchase whatsoever. Tried on both rear sides and it was the same on both. The 10mm end of the same spanner is however too small and it won't fit.

I had done my research ahead of this job and read that the nuts were meant to be 11mm.

Any advice from anyone who has removed these fittings before?

I did see a difficult access socket set in Halfords that I contemplated...

Thanks!

I had exactly the same problem earlier this year. The flare nut spanners are a bit useless. I gave up as I didn't want to mess things up and be faced with having to renew hard lines running from one side to the other.

However, I have purchased a pair of these.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/knipex-c...XOHeXHA6vcfmZrhQCfRoC5b4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Based on a recommendation from another forum member who used them to get his flexi lines removed. Can't remeber the post but it was recent.

Thanks Mark.

Exactly where I am at. Don't want to risk breaking the line.

The flared spanner's don't seem to be able to get a good grip. I'd say I had a better grip with my open ended spanner but don't want to risk rounding any nuts.

Thanks for the link. Car is in for annual service next week I may just get them to have a look for me but I don't really like admitting defeat!

A good soaking with Plus Gas or similar for a few weeks will help. I got my indie to look at mine when it was in for a service a few months back and he said they should come off without too much effort... must know a trick I don't. I haven't tried the Knipex Cobra grips yet.

By the way, I purchased the 150mm Knipex Cobras.

Sure the 180mm will be fine, but space is tight, especially drivers side because of the coolant pipe.

I also used a torch on it and got it proper hot, using a heat matt as the plastic fuel tank is not that far behind! :mrgreen:

However, I think with the knipex grips it would have properly come off anyway, however, mine had started to round a little, so I wanted to be sure.

Thank you guys. Will get the car on jack stands and keep hitting it with penetrating oil over the next few days.

I've ordered the 150mm Knipex Cobras which are arriving tomorrow.

Will report back!

No joy with a few days worth of penetrating oil and the Knipex. Nothing will budge.

Will have to try some heat next.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back