Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will the ToyoSports 996 headers fit a 997.1 3.6 Tip ??

Mac68

Nurburgring
Hi all
I'm looking for advice on replacing my headers please.
I recently checked if my manifold/header bolts moved and much to my surprise 11 of them moved quite freely.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=145904

The 12th is slightly obstructed so I'm waiting on a shallow socket which will hopefully allow me access. I was concerned about rounding it off so decided it was safer to wait.

These are the headers I'm intending to use https://www.toyosports.co.uk/exhaust-manifold-for-porsche-911-996-34-36-99-04-non-turbo-1933-p.asp.

Has anyone used these headers on their 997.1 and confirm they fit?

I'm still debating SS bolts versus mild steel studding + brass nuts and crushable versus Porsche thin gasket.

Thanks
Mac

Get some Stainless bolts from screwfix, only a few quid.

The 996 and gen1 997 headers fit both variants as far as I'm aware. Turbo are different from NA engines though.

Thanks Alex for confirming about the bolts and more importantly the manifold compatability.

Mac

Can those manifolds really be any good for £150?

It's cheaper than the jap car stuff and some of that was really rough quality

I'm hoping they'll be similar to Designtek or Topgear.

Back in the day a few B5 S4's owners fitted similar and they cracked. Didn't see any of the RS4 owners fitting from memory, but the S4's where all usually fairly modified to big power. Pretty sure they were tubular manifolds. Might not be as much as an issue on the N/A 997's with less power, but it's worth considering.

It's a PITA job to do, so you'd only want to do it once.

Sean-B said:
Can those manifolds really be any good for £150?

It's cheaper than the jap car stuff and some of that was really rough quality

Alex ran a set for 7 years before they perforated. He's on his second set now and swears by them.

I'm fussy and I'm not worried about fitting them. I had a friend who builds custom exhaust check the flange to make sure they were square and he was super impressed with the quality for the price. OK, so they're not equal length, but as he said 'it's not going on a race car - what's to worry about!'

The oem x51 items are basically £1100 to replace after 14 years use - - i can get a lot of replacement sets for £1100!

Yes - those manifolds are bob on. I wouldn't at all be surprised is some of the ones out there at £500-£700 are the exact same ones and people are getting fleeced to ****.

As stated, just started on my 2nd set after the 1st lot last 7 years used daily in rainy East Lancs.

........and its only a hard job to do once so long as you copper grease up stainless bolts. Piece o **** 2nd time.

Can't say fairer than that then.
The issue was exacerbated on the the jap stuff by the turbocharger heat and weight I'd imagine.

Do these mainly offer a sound advantage as the standard manifold seems quite well sized?

Sean-B said:
Can't say fairer than that then.
The issue was exacerbated on the the jap stuff by the turbocharger heat and weight I'd imagine.

Do these mainly offer a sound advantage as the standard manifold seems quite well sized?

Not to my knowledge and I'm doubtful about the claimed BHP/Torque improvement but I have no experience of swapping headers so.......

My headers' flanges are shot and currently not blowing but it's only a matter of time so I figured I'd swap them out as preventative maintenance. My car sees about 4-5k per annum in mostly good condition so these should last me a while.

I found they sound much better and at the time over 7 years ago, car felt like it had slightly increased low end torque. Top end felt same. Only my perceprion driving, no tests or data to back those claims up. I think dynomike or poppopbangbang did some tests around 5 years ago and gave them the thumbs up.

The Chinese company who make them are called mgp racing: https://mgpracing.m.en.alibaba.com

Alex said:
Yes - those manifolds are bob on. I wouldn't at all be surprised is some of the ones out there at £500-£700 are the exact same ones and people are getting fleeced to ****.

As stated, just started on my 2nd set after the 1st lot last 7 years used daily in rainy East Lancs.

........and its only a hard job to do once so long as you copper grease up stainless bolts. Piece o **** 2nd time.

Having looked at a few sets, I think they are all the same - designtek, topgear etc.

I didn't know that Toyo did them for £150 and paid £230, but thats better than £500..

I've ordered a set and will have a crack when the weather improves!

I'll also look at the exhaust support brackets and suspect I might need to reinforce them by welding something on to them.

Thanks all
Mac

I'd leave those brackets. You'll only open a can of worms. Mine look like they've been salvaged from the Titanic but they still do their job after 21 years. The looked liked that nearly 8 years ago and still look exactly the same now.

Alex, you've talked me into leaving the bracket! :)
Thanks

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back