Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pad warning light - how much notice?

tedzwedz

Suzuka
Hi,

My brake pad warning light has come on so the sensors are touching, how much wear is "spare" on these in miles/time etc?

I cant imagine one has to change them that day for example, how many MM do they have?

I have a service coming up in a few weeks so just seeing if it can wait.

Cheers

Edward

Depending on how you drive it can probably wait but if you are heavy on the brakes track day style then it probably won't last but two weeks average driving will be more than fine

Winny

Winny911 said:
Depending on how you drive it can probably wait but if you are heavy on the brakes track day style then it probably won't last but two weeks average driving will be more than fine

Winny

Thank you, good to know!

It's the lip on your discs that cut the sensor wire, so if your discs are quite old and have a big lip you could have plenty of time to sort them out, but if your discs are quite new then the lip would be small therefore your pads would be quite low. The wear light is there to tell you they are low, not finished with. But always best to get them checked out.

cobrars said:
It's the lip on your discs that cut the sensor wire, so if your discs are quite old and have a big lip you could have plenty of time to sort them out, but if your discs are quite new then the lip would be small therefore your pads would be quite low. The wear light is there to tell you they are low, not finished with. But always best to get them checked out.

Cheers, good to know re the lip!

If you look at the pic you can see the hole the sensor fits in, when my light came on in my turbo due to the rear pads I was surprised to see the pads were only just over half worn. I bypassed the wear sensor by soldering the wires together and ran the pads until they were down to about 2mm which is still perfectly safe and is whats recommended by a lot of manufacturers. This ended up being couple of years or about 5k miles later!

Some may see this as me being a bad owner but I see it as fully and safely using the available pad material. When I order a skip I don't half fill it then shell out on another, I fill it to the top 8)

Attachments

• 9p3o54~2_656.jpg
    9p3o54~2_656.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 698
  • 9p3o54~2_656.jpg
    9p3o54~2_656.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 698
Mac996t said:
If you look at the pic you can see the hole the sensor fits in, when my light came on in my turbo due to the rear pads I was surprised to see the pads were only just over half worn. I bypassed the wear sensor by soldering the wires together and ran the pads until they were down to about 2mm which is still perfectly safe and is whats recommended by a lot of manufacturers. This ended up being couple of years or about 5k miles later!

Some may see this as me being a bad owner but I see it as fully and safely using the available pad material. When I order a skip I don't half fill it then shell out on another, I fill it to the top 8)

Thank you, I agree, that's say 45% of the pads left really!

Are you sure your sensor is correctly fitted that seems a little over cautious to me, I, about to swap out by pads and sensors at the weekend due to the brake warning light on dash, will report how much pad is left, bit looking through the wheel I would say around 4-5mm left on pad

I bought new pagid pads front and back from carpartsforless for £70 plus 4 brake pad wear sensors for another £30, I will do the job myself as it's one of he easiest jobs you can do.

So for the sake of £100 I would replace them rather than risking metal on metal and having to replace the discs too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back