Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black GT3 No?

And before you ask, the differences between the Mk1 and Mk2:

Mk2 had (as standard):
- revised Mk2 body design
- better interior build quality (machine vs hand built Mk1)
- alcantara roof lining (some late Mk1s had this too)
- electrical engine and boot opener (some late Mk1s had this too)
- engine rev limiter lifted to 8200rpm (Mk1 was 7800rpm)
- Variocam stepless (Mk1 was 2 stage)
- wider front and rear track
- slightly wider wheel design (0.5" at front, 1" at rear)
- gearbox oil cooler
- steel synchros on 3rd and 4th gear (Mk1 synchros were brass)
- 6 pot front calipers and 350f/330r mm discs (PCCBs an option)
- glovebox
- cup holders
- US FDA approved (mk1 was not)

Mk2 CS vs Mk2 Comfort, CS had as standard:
- Nomex buckets
- full cage
- extinguisher
:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85154

I think mk1's get a bit of an unfair hammering for having poor brakes etc. but they're widely regarded as being better road cars than the mk2 and the brakes were more than fine until the mk2 came along with better ones. Also, remember that mk1 discs are cheaper than mk2s.

I've been out on track as a passenger in my mk1 before i bought it was very matched to mk2s and only outpaced by a 96 RS. Mine is basically factory std mk1 CS.

Whilst researching before purchase i found that Mk1 CSs have a premium of around £2k on their comfort brethren due to the improved for track spec (which would cost over £2k to retro fit to a comfort) and due to the rarity.

Mk1s are more collectible than mk2s due to the handbuilt and rarity factors esp. the CS.

Mk2s are marginally faster and better braked than the mk1 though possibly slightly less good on road. They're also all younger.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85160

And to think I was up the pub while this little GT3 love in was going on....so my contribution will be late....

Colours....guards, speed yellow, zanzibar or cobalt....however I do like Ade's silver one. I see a couple of black ones fairly regular & they just seem understated. Depends what you want Daz, but recommend you don't get red, yellow or silver as we need to have a 4th colour to balance up Ade's picture he uses in his signature! :D

Mk1 or Mk2, well regarding the brakes stuff you're going upgrade to Alcons anyhow so the only difference is you'll need to budget for new front calipers for the Mk1. Performance wise I don't think you'll notice the difference between the 2.

If you really are going to be thinking about putting belts & seats in the back, it might be better to go the comfort route & get the sports seats rather than buckets. I think this is your big decision.

Otherwise as the others have said get the best/cleanest example you can find within your budget be it Mk1 or Mk2.

But whatever you decide...get on with it...we want to see you at Bedford in December in a GT3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85179

Daz

Yes , yes and yes, the Black one........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85187

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob J on 26 October 2006

but recommend you don't get red, yellow or silver as we need to have a 4th colour to balance up Ade's picture he uses in his signature! :D
I'll go with that !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85196

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 26 October 2006

Come on Daz, join the Grand Tarts club... :wink:
911-GT3.com :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85209

it will be all here.... so might have to set up that GT3/RS section after all....

So we have yellow, silver, 2x diferent red, a soon to be orange....

so then another shade is need !!

all we then need is a few more colours and then we can be the raindow gt3 alliance

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85215

Red looks absolutely Fantastic, Black a bit dour, Yellow a tad too in your face for my liking, IMHO of course!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85221

Hi!

My MK II is black and that was one of the reasons why I bought it. Yes, it takes some work keeping it clean, and on the picture it is not clean, sorry!

Henrik in Sweden :)

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/GT3_gadekær_small(4).JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89600

Well, I missed my old Cobalt Mk.2 so much I spent ages finding this guards Mk.2 CS - I previously owned a Speed Yellow Mk. 1 CS and there isn't that much difference between them - they are great cars and good value for money at the moment.

DSC00209.jpg

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89610

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 13 November 2006

very nice car

i am very jealous
Me too! Very nice indeed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89612

The only colour to have & very nice too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89729

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back