Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker Single DIN Sat Nav - Cascade 7944, ideal for the 911

Sundeep said:
Damian said:
PolarExpress said:
The Infiniti Kappa 47i's (dash speakers only) were finally fitted to my car last week. WOW!!! What a difference! They come with their own mini amps attached, and it's enough to really punch through the road/engine/exhaust noise in the cabin at speed :wink: The speakers were fitted behind the original speaker grills, so everything looks OEM on the dash.

Ade those aren't 'mini amps' they are crossovers :)

8)

er.... is that good ?

as it's an option on the Becker Cascade

Crossovers basically split the sound, allowing high frequencies to go to the tweeters and the low frequencies to the bass units.

Any decent speaker's going to benefit from an improved source :)

Damian said:
Sundeep said:
Damian said:
PolarExpress said:
The Infiniti Kappa 47i's (dash speakers only) were finally fitted to my car last week. WOW!!! What a difference! They come with their own mini amps attached, and it's enough to really punch through the road/engine/exhaust noise in the cabin at speed :wink: The speakers were fitted behind the original speaker grills, so everything looks OEM on the dash.

Ade those aren't 'mini amps' they are crossovers :)

8)

er.... is that good ?

as it's an option on the Becker Cascade

Crossovers basically split the sound, allowing high frequencies to go to the tweeters and the low frequencies to the bass units.

Any decent speaker's going to benefit from an improved source :)

Thanks Damian! :oops: I thought they were amps as the speakers were first wired up without attaching those 'mini-amps' and the sound barely made it out of each speaker! After unwrapping the bubblewrapped 'mini-amps', they looked like they should be plugged in! So I did, and WOW, the music really powered through.

I can turn the stereo up all the way, and there is no distortion - only the vibration of the entire dash and windscreen!

Sorry for such a numpty question........ but on a MY03 996 how can you tell whether it is a simple single DIN or a MOST plug..... ? Or can you choose either if your car has MOST ??

At some point in the long distant future (with the current costs of my new house escalating out of control) - its something I would consider.

Nice install Sundeep.

Gastro said:
Sorry for such a numpty question........ but on a MY03 996 how can you tell whether it is a simple single DIN or a MOST plug..... ? Or can you choose either if your car has MOST ??

At some point in the long distant future (with the current costs of my new house escalating out of control) - its something I would consider.

Nice install Sundeep.

If you've got a CDR-23 then you have a MOST equipped car :)

Damian said:
Gastro said:

Nice install Sundeep.

even though I had the CDR-23 on my GT3, as there are only a pair of dash speakers :!: the fibre optic bit at the back had a blank switch in the back, so there was just a regular speaker cable from the back to the pair of front speakers

so fitting a Becker with MOST isnt imposible but costs a bit more

SINGLE DIN = just normal single stereo size (1 DIN)

Sundeep said:
Damian said:
Gastro said:

Nice install Sundeep.

even though I had the CDR-23 on my GT3, as there are only a pair of dash speakers :!: the fibre optic bit at the back had a blank switch in the back, so there was just a regular speaker cable from the back to the pair of front speakers

so fitting a Becker with MOST isnt imposible but costs a bit more

SINGLE DIN = just normal single stereo size (1 DIN)

Just to clarify, a MOST equipped (non GT2/3) will likely have amplification, CD changer etc removing the headunit will mean getting shot of the changer and the amp, not a cheap option and not to be taken lightly!

These Infiniti Kappa 47i thingys - do they require any cutting/chopping/glueing, or can you just shove them into the existing space using the existing mountings and grill?

What kind of cable adapter do I need in order to fit a cascade (or any other DIN-ISO fitted stereo) into the MY2002 996 ?

As mentioned before , I have the TrafficPro 4760 , but this is Porsche/Becker OEM, so I assume the contacts are different then on the Cascade ?

Would like to order this adapter in same go

wagonface said:
These Infiniti Kappa 47i thingys - do they require any cutting/chopping/glueing, or can you just shove them into the existing space using the existing mountings and grill?

The Infinitis use the outer ring of the same bracket used to hold the OEM speakers. You will need to cut out the original speakers out of the bracket, and then hot glue gun the new speakers to the bracket outer ring. The entire bracket+speaker then screws into the OEM speaker grills sandwiching the new speakers firmly in place.

The speaker+grills just rescrew into the existing space on the dashboard.

It took about 1 hour for the whole process, and the finish looks no different to standard.

wagonface said:

Judging by Ade's response, you need to cannibalise the original speaker and use the bracket ie. cut the ring from speaker cradle.

Ade am i right in thinking you just used Infinity co-axial speakers, ie. the tweeter and the bass unit in one, not a component set as in my pictures.

snocrash said:
What kind of cable adapter do I need in order to fit a cascade (or any other DIN-ISO fitted stereo) into the MY2002 996 ?

As mentioned before , I have the TrafficPro 4760 , but this is Porsche/Becker OEM, so I assume the contacts are different then on the Cascade ?

Would like to order this adapter in same go

No cable needed, if it's an ISO unit then the standard OEM loom will fit. However you might need to 'disconnect' the CAN-BUS line to get the air-con compressor to work on a Becker unit.

Damian said:
wagonface said:

Judging by Ade's response, you need to cannibalise the original speaker and use the bracket ie. cut the ring from speaker cradle.

Ade am i right in thinking you just used Infinity co-axial speakers, ie. the tweeter and the bass unit in one, not a component set as in my pictures.

Yes - they are. Sorry, the correct model number is Infiniti Kappa 42.7i.

Click here: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...EL&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

PolarExpress said:
Damian said:
wagonface said:

Click here: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...EL&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

What size are the Speakers in there ? And do they run a bass (midbass), and a tweeter ? Or is it one cone ?

Daniel said:
PolarExpress said:
Damian said:
wagonface said:

What size are the Speakers in there ? And do they run a bass (midbass), and a tweeter ? Or is it one cone ?

Hi Dan, they are about 10cm. In an upgraded 996 they run a separate tweeter and bass unit. In the GT3 and others they have a crappy (and I mean crappy) unit that attempts to do both....very poorly.

If you look at the pictures I posted (or can recall the full story) you'll see the existing unit and what I replaced it with.

For the record I didn't cannibalise any speakers, although I was tempted :) I just didn't fancy leaving in £200 speakers when I sell the car :)

How would the Cascade 7944 compare to the tomtom910?
Can you enter the full UK 7 digit postcode in the Becker?
Not bothered by the small screen as I really only listen to the Tom-tom. Does the Becker come over with clear instructions, in plenty of time to manoeuvre?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back