Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another one of those 957 GTS Work in progress threads.. :-)

NeilTVR

Evening all. Its great to see mark looking after my old car so well.. Less than a month after selling it.. Finances improved and another replacement was found.. this time a 2009 957 GTS Manual. I ran this for 6 years spending virtually nothing but then a series of events resulted in the car off the road.. the first was a damaged tail end after becoming embedded in a deep snow drift in the winter where we live.. It is fair to say that Marks Car now has a charmed life compared to my replacement which lives outside and is the company Tow vehicle as well as our bad weather car :)

Shortly after the car was repaired we started to get the issues with PDCC warnings. then it popped a hose.. Then I effected a repair but another hose popped and I was towing away from home so was forced to run the car which likely has damaged the main PDCC Tandem pump.. Anyhow I will post up some pics of the re-build as started and where I am currently up to :) and add to the story along the way..

So then. After a burst PDCC Pipe and a repair. Followed soon after by another burst pipe it was time to get the car into the garage.. Brakes had not really been touched in this time so time to do a thorough overhaul of the rear end..

The rear brakes were seized onto the disc / Drum. Persuading wasn't an option and I actually ended up cutting the discs off the car to get them off.

The exhaust was also removed and all the brake componants stripped off the car to allow for some proper cleaning of the undercarriage All the arch liners were removed. The rear PDCC pipes were removed along with the PDCC module at the rear which was similarly difficult due to seized bolts which sheared..

Eventually everything was stripped to allow for all under body areas to be cleaned, de rusted, given a coat of Dynax stabilizer followed by some Bilt Hamer black epoxy mastic on the steel subframes etc.. :)

Stuff me i've never seen rear discs that bad before !!

Normally winding off the shoes and a large hammer on the disc gets it seperated .

PDDC issues .. Marks thread says it all to be honest .. i've done a few of these and the issue is the pipes don't come out of the block ..

Hence new pipes and block are required .. its due to rust build up or debris in the sensor .. not the best design in the world but it is what it is .

You can also get front issues but rear is the more common of the two .

Pipes bursting is a bit strange .. i've not seen that before ... sounds like a total blockage perhaps ?

So then.. once rear brakes were all stripped a lot of cleaning and painting, waxing and protection was carried out.. deMort.. You were right about the PDCC system. Pipes seized in the block which came out but not without twisting the pipe and breaking it further.. :) I did have a thorough read about Marks PDCC repairs and did buy a BMW block second hand but found that only 1 of the actuators was the same. The other was slightly different.. In addition I found that the pressure switch removal ended up with the corroded alloy thread coming out of the casting so it ended up being a replacement new pdcc block that I had to use.. Also had the fixing M8 screws shear which resulted in me having to grind off the chassis bracket so I could weld in t new captive nuts..

Here you can see pre seam sealing where the bracket had to be cut off and replaced

So pretty much the whole rear PDCC system has now been replaced :)

While I had the underside of the car fully dismantled I also cleaned down the exhaust.

I also dropped all of the Fluids and replaced the Front and rear diff oils, Gearbox oil, Transfer box oil and Engine oil and filter :)

Neil.

So with this large scale recomission a few things were coming to light..

1. The car is a keeper. a 4.8 Manual GTS is just a joy to have. I use it as my Tow vehicle but I don't tow a lot. I tend to use it for Local race meetings and towing with such a competant car is never a chore.

2. As a keeper it was clear that a better winter solution was going to be needed to keep the miles off the Porker and keep my handywork in good order.. As such a Skoda Yeti now also takes the strain as the daily. A garage is also required for next year.

great little cars..

N.

I used to work for a TVR dealership more years ago than i care to remember .. good cars but very scary .. straight line and your ok .. cornering was more fun lol .

Based in Blackpool i believe .. we had a bulletin one time saying can you check the center brake lines .. turned out when they were fitting the carpets they used rivets .. when drilling the holes they went through the brake lines without them noticing !

Phoned them once to get a manifold .. i was told nope we don't have any .. when will you have some i enquired .. well he says .. when we get around to making some i guess ..

What should i tell my customer i asked .. well he says .. 6 months or when we get around to making them i guess and he hung up !!

Yup .. PDDC is a pain .. as long as the front to rear connection comes undone you are safe .

The issue is the upside down sensors in the base .. they get rust in them and jam .. if on top they would be fine .

Seized pipes .. everyone i've done has had this issue .. sigh .

Nice work though .. not the easiest of jobs so my hat off to you sir .

So back end coming back together nicely.

When everything was stripped I utilised a load of Bilt hamer Dynax products..
Essentially the cleaner and de-greaser followed by the neutraliser to turn any light surface into magnetite then all of the black subframes were given 2 good coats of 2 pack epoxy mastic followerd by Dynax UB wax into all the cavities and on all the surfaces and under the arches..

Then all the rear brakes have been built up with new componants where required... Car only has 52k miles so the Calipers were removed and given a good clean and all the seals and pistons found to be servicable etc.. One thing I did was to use 2 blanking pipes and fittings I made up so as not to loose all the system brake fluid.

System was then pressure bled with new fluid.

Hi DeMort.
Yep. Thankfully the Front to rear connections although looking a bit corroded did come away. Again the swivels were corroded so it was a case of turning the whole intermediate pipes around to seperaste the threads.. The car has now got the 4 rear PDCC pipes all brand new..
When re-assembling I also thought belt and braces and used a very good product.. Denso tape. This wrap now protects those front to rear connections.

In fairness I think when I had the second pipe burst which led me down this path I may have previously inadvertently mixed up the connections here after the first pipe failure.. either way it is all now nicely clipped back together now and wrapped The pipes went together when swapped over and clipped into their holders perfectly . I have also used plenty red rubber grease on all the pipe connections so hopefully these will last a good while.

the last job on the back end was to change the Tailpipe clamps... God knows why Porsche use stainless clamps with mid steel barrel nuts and fixings.... Anyhow they were seized solid and had to be cut off then replaced with new tail clamps complete because you can't buy the barrel nut fixings seperately. Another £86 :-0

Then it was just a case of cleaning and re-instating all the trim and arch liners and back end is back fighting fit.

So then.. Last fluids required was replacement of the PDCC Fluid.. The car was ran with a rear pipe failure for a good few hundered miles so DeMort.. I reckon you know what is coming next :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back