Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Am I mad?

I've been looking at GT3s myself. I have tbh the car you have is a sweet road car. Unless you're going to actually spend at least 3-6 + days a year on track I'd stick not twist. If I buy a GT3 I worry I won't use it as Porsche intended which sort of defeats the object of having a special car.

I think the colour everything on the one you're looking for is amazing actually. How I'd spec one too but I wouldn't buy one without buckets tbh.

Just seen the price too. Its a really good deal if under OPC warranty and the cars done no fighting. I fear you're in trouble :pc:

PS if it doesn't have official warranty this is a must on a 991 in my experience. They're complicated cars.

Seems to me that this is a complicated matter for anyone other than the Max to make the choice... There are a few clues though. "It will be a keeper for a very long time." That being a probability(?) then as ever when trying to weigh up new against old on one side and the emotion of owning a dream car on the other, the dream car wins it for me..

Buying an older car is ever a gamble, perhaps less so when it is planned to be a long term ownership, and any issues found can be resolved as and when it might suit.

I bought my 991.1 sight unseen (other than via video) during Covid, there were a few minor issues that were sorted out but for a then 42k mile Porsche it looked as good as new, still does.. I did put it through the 111 point check as soon as it was eligible and bought into the 3 year extended warranty...

Hope it all works out as you might hope... :thumb:

I have had my 991.1 GT3 for 8 months now and must admit it's a wonderful ownership experience and an amazing machine. Having covered nearly 8000 miles already I really know the car now and the handling a power is immense. Mine also has the G6 engine (which was a must have for me) and warranty which I've already had a couple of minor things repaired under.

The one thing it lacked for me was noise, and seemed quieter than my 991.1 GTS. I added a Hayward and Scott Centre Silencer Bypass and permanently unplugged the valves and now sounds as it should IMO.

Congratulations, enjoy it!

Thanks for your comments all. Much appreciated.

I went to test drive/collect yesterday. Love it! Had a 130 mile trip back home which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then took my wife out on some roads I know well... braking hard into corner resulted in awful knocking/clunking noise from rear!! Argh... then 'Parking brake failure' warning multiple times. All this despite me test driving and also paying for a comprehensive PPI.

Upshot ... spoken with sales guy and they'll book it into Porsche Silverstone to be checked & rectified under warranty. Can't believe in less than 12 hours I'm looking at warranty issues.

BUT it's stunning to look at (I love the colour combo, ceramic callipers with the yellow seat belts) and amazing, if a little scary, to drive when pushing it up the rev range.

Thanks for your comments all. Much appreciated.

I went to test drive/collect yesterday. Love it! Had a 130 mile trip back home which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then took my wife out on some roads I know well... braking hard into corner resulted in awful knocking/clunking noise from rear!! Argh... then 'Parking brake failure' warning multiple times. All this despite me test driving and also paying for a comprehensive PPI.

Upshot ... spoken with sales guy and they'll book it into Porsche Silverstone to be checked & rectified under warranty. Can't believe in less than 12 hours I'm looking at warranty issues.

BUT it's stunning to look at (I love the colour combo, ceramic callipers with the yellow seat belts) and amazing, if a little scary, to drive when pushing it up the rev range.

It should get sorted. Congratulations and enjoy it!
Will be something not major. I had PASM failure when driving back with my Turbo, was disappointed but was sorted under warranty in a day.

The car was likely sitting around for a while and what I've learned over the years of Porsche ownership is they like to be driven otherwise little niggles appear.

My car had the infamous white smoke on start up when I first got it. Now I'm doing 1000 miles per month, it hasn't happened since and the car is running beautifully.

I'm not sure how the other engines drive, but the G6 feels really solid and hitting 9000rpm is addictive and something I have to do on every journey now too, usually followed by a little chuckle.

Glad you made the jump, please do post up some pics for us to horn over, the colour is not common so excited to see in real light...

Hopefully you'll have it sorted soon...

Congrats its properly stunning. Had a feeling you were smitten as I was too when I looked bit closer.. Always keep in warranty. Awesome car.

Looks awesome, agree with others, plenty of pictures please. Congratulations and enjoy (once your niggle is fixed)

pzero said:
Dark Blue Metallic was a regular colour as far as I'm aware.
I can't find the pic of my 997 GT3 parked next to the 991 GT3 at HedinghamCastle, both in DBM.
Here is a pic of the GT3 I had, it was taken sometime after I sold it.
NB, pic not taken by me.

Sea levels showing no sign of abating then? :lol:

Should say there's a good chance Terry's pic is from the castle. Can't make it this year sadly.

short-shift said:
Well, I wouldn't be in so much of a rush myself. That's a very early car and the mileage is high for a GT3. It's odd to see it in that colour - is it a genuine PTS (I'm not aware that PTS was available that early on) or has it had a respray? Additionally, what's going on with the yellow belts and the silver stitching - a bit of a mess. And there's no leather on the dash or door casings which may or may not be an issue to you, but...

This particular car, in my opinion, falls short in several ways.

crazy.gif
Err..... It's a 2013 car with 33k miles on it so less than 4k pa. Respect to the owners who at least managed to take it out and drive it, but it's hardly stellar miles :roll:

The colour is unusual which is a big plus in my book, PTS or not, and I expect it to look stunning in bright sunshine. It's got axle lift and comfort seats (the best available being 18-way and the benefit of heated) for someone who wants more road than track use. Belt colour matches the calipers - which they should. Yellow stitching would look wong in the cars current colour combination. We are not talking a turd rolled in glitter here.

Whilst the leather door cars and dash top may give you the impression you can drive like Jody Scheckter through Durban it's a matter of personal taste and compromise when buying secondhand.

Zingari said:
short-shift said:
Well, I wouldn't be in so much of a rush myself. That's a very early car and the mileage is high for a GT3. It's odd to see it in that colour - is it a genuine PTS (I'm not aware that PTS was available that early on) or has it had a respray? Additionally, what's going on with the yellow belts and the silver stitching - a bit of a mess. And there's no leather on the dash or door casings which may or may not be an issue to you, but...

This particular car, in my opinion, falls short in several ways.

crazy.gif
Err..... It's a 2013 car with 33k miles on it so less than 4k pa. Respect to the owners who at least managed to take it out and drive it, but it's hardly stellar miles :roll:

The colour is unusual which is a big plus in my book, PTS or not, and I expect it to look stunning in bright sunshine. It's got axle lift and comfort seats (the best available being 18-way and the benefit of heated) for someone who wants more road than track use. Belt colour matches the calipers - which they should. Yellow stitching would look wong in the cars current colour combination. We are not talking a turd rolled in glitter here.

Whilst the leather door cars and dash top may give you the impression you can drive like Jody Scheckter through Durban it's a matter of personal taste and compromise when buying secondhand.

+1 love it :worship:

Thanks. In the flesh I love the colour combo, the white tail lights, the seats etc. For my taste & driving the spec is superb. Miles don't worry me too much, particularly with the new G6 series engine 6k miles ago. Guess my only big worry would be gearbox but they're pretty robust aren't they?!

What has absolutely gutted me is that despite a PPI I identified issues just after I arrived home on my inaugural journey.

So far it's visited two Porsche hospitals. One independent & the other Silverstone OPC where it is currently on a ward waiting to be seen by the surgeon.

Issues (and I sincerely hope they are just down to the fact that it was undriven for a while)
1. Clunking/clattering on certain styles of breaking (slow & fast which I can replicate). Could be calliper retaining springs.
2. Multiple occasions when 'park brake failure' warning light came on. Again OPC has been able to replicate this - could be battery on way out or linked to above.
3. OPC Silverstone spotted a front headlight wasn't secure and won't bolt in. The technician's eye for detail was superb. Don't know how he spotted this but severe braking could have seen it flying out.

So I'm now thinking I might have been mad after all to trade in my 2021 GTS because the sellers have called on their warranty company. My guess is they'll try to minimise their costs in rectifying. They actually have only authorised a 1 hour inspection of the car to get to the bottom of the problems! OPC thinks that's a ridiculously short time go get all wheels off & start investigating.

I don't want to get into a battle - this is ruining my dream GT3 experience. I've pushed my budget to the absolute max to purchase this and sincerely hope it's not a lemon or that I have a battle on my hands.

I've looked up the legal situation and believe if there's a significant problem within 30 days I can reject the car and have my money returned. This problem (brakes) was identified within 4 hours!! I suspect rejection is likely to be a battle - no dealer will appreciate handing £105k cash back (they've already sold my Cayman!)

I'm in a quandary. I should hear more on Monday on the seriousness of the 'niggles'

If I do get it sorted & get it back I'm going to need a few drives to give me confidence that all is good. And then smile as I should have been. Anyone fancy showing me how it should be driven??!

Thanks for your interest guys.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back