Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Am I eligible for buying a GT3 (RS)?

DRZ911 said:
I have bought 2x 911, 1x GT3 (second-hand) and 1x Cayman, and am still not on a 'special list' when it comes to GT cars. :nooo:

All from the same dealer? If that's the case, I guess when mine told me that I need to build up my profile A BIT, they actually mean A LOT

Senoj said:
If you want one just pay the 25k overs and buy one tomorrow. It's quite simple. We can pi55 and moan all day long about allocations and favours and what ever but the market decides the price. For good or bad.

All one is really saying, if one wants an allocation, is that one wants a discount on the market price.

If you want a car, buy one. If you want a discount get in the 'que" . There is no secret riddle to solve. :thumb:

Hmm, I disagree on the discount part. The reason for some people who want an allocation is that they want to have a tailored configuration.

I mean I did search the used market and none of them seems attractive enough to me.

allenbryan11 said:
I did do some research on youtube, and one of them (think the guy was based in the US) said he got an allocation with 0 buying history. The only condition for him to get the build slot was that he needed to configure the car with some kind of $30k sticker.

I guess $30k "bribery" is ... acceptable?

I don't think this is acceptable, but I do think that where the factory deliberately keeps the product scarce, then the dealers are motivated to do everything they can to maximise their own profits, rather than let flippers and scalpers capture the profits in the aftermarket.

As I understand it at the moment, in the US, dealers are adding significant mark ups as the manufacturers cannot produce enough new cars in the current climate, and it seems that people are prepared to pay a premium for a new car.

It's just the basic economics of supply and demand, but what's tricky with the dealer requirement for an 'established buying history' is that it isn't transparent and it's likely not seen as fair when some influencer can jump the queue...

Maybe it would be fairer if the dealers just added a premium to sell at the actual market price, or the factory increased the base price (but this ignores the impact of local car tax from one country to another).

s2000db said:
The problem is, that by the time you've bought loads of heavily depreciating 'cooking models', or paid well over list for a flipped one (and the heavy depreciation that will result), you could have bought a far better car from another manufacturer, and in some case not suffer that much in depreciation or trouser dropping that you would've suffered from Porsche...

Ok so it might not be the ultimate driving Gods car (only a GT will do :p !), but the event and occasion of driving it will be far higher imo.
Just consider it before committing your time and money to the Rolex Daytona of the car world (safe investment but not the best looking thing in the world) :mrgreen:

All imo, ymmv, etc, etc...

I'd have your STO in a heartbeat!

OP if you want a GT3 you'd be far better off buying a used one with 100-500 miles on the clock or so rather than jumping through their hoops. Trust me cheaper this way :wink:

GMG said:
...I know but who wants to not only knowingly get f'd but literally bend over and invite it :floor:
You get proper effed either way.

If you don't pay overs you will, effectively, be paying for plenty of depreciation on the stuff the dealers want you to buy in order to get on the list.

It's such a cringey load of old b0ll0cks. :roll:

I'm so glad I'm not interested in any of the new stuff. I've seen the games one of my mates has had to play over the years to keep getting his new Spyders, GT4s and GT3s.

Everything from buying Macans he really didn't want, etc.
Even things like buying the sales managers motorbike to keep in with him. The whole thing is so ridiculous it's funny. :grin:

(I mean the situation in general. I'm not laughing at my mate. :D )

My DP (to be fair only trying to be helpful bless him) says to me new 992.2 coming out soon I suggest you get yourself on the list Imi with a view to getting a GT at some stage (maybe, depending on how I am feeling and if there is a blood moon, stars align, wolves howl simultaneously at precisely 911 secs past 12am etc).

I replied really not interested in any 992 matey nor GT cars any more a Porsche friend in his 40s (with young kids to parent) died on track not long ago and I have gone cold on the idea of a track GT for now. Genuinely my driving skills not improving as I pass 50. Not just about my own driving skills but you should see some of the other drivers on track. Its terrifying watching them when they're on the brakes into a corner almost wiping out a few cars at every corner slowing down from ridiculous velocities these new cars do at the twitch of a toe. The track organisers do f all and they let race cars that are testing on the flipping track with you too. There may be more disasters for sure.

Mental note I think I need to work much much harder the way people fritter cash on heavy motors. And also not be such a tight so and so and complete and utter pussy :grin:

If I had my own track like say the West circuit at Bedford I'd love to own a track GT3 RS but I think i'd get bored very quickly. On a serious note OP if you really have what it takes and want to drive on track I think the best way is to enter some sort of race series. Start with Caterhams then move on. This is what my kids who are interested in cars are doing ;)

I see Sam of "Seen Through Glass" YouTube fame has collected his new GT3. I like the spec of AM green met and Pasha trim :puh:

Plenty of click-bait, YT advertising income and promoting the brand has got him a car and a nice wedge of profit when he sells it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back