Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Duct Gone (FIXED)

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

Well the old air duct has given up the ghost. Not bad as it was last replaced in 2009 ;) Can anyone point me in the direction of a link or a DIY post. The last time it was replaced it was done by OPC Kuwait.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ATB ☺️

Attachments

• Air Duct - with hole.jpg
    Air Duct - with hole.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 35
is that the heater duct ?

Yes I believe it is the heater duct. It's connected to the rear fan and the fan housing that the alternator is attached to. I suppose the alternator fan blows air through the duct into the rear blower fan? Or is it the other way round and used to keep things cool? πŸ€”

ATB πŸ˜€

@decgraham about time you fitted the heater duct bypass, run that on my 993 in England and works fine

1699380462119.png

DIY is really simple

Buy new fan duct.
  1. Remove heater/blower motor ducting.
  2. Three screws hold duct onto top/back area of fan shroud.
  3. You'll see a channel and 3tabs that slip into place at the back of fan shroud.
  4. Align holes and replace 3 bolts.
  5. Replace removed ducting.
A 2 on a 10 scale of difficultly.

Last edited:
if youre going to fir the RS duct delete, you'll need this

1699388404843.png

Thanks again for the information, much appreciated. However, I'm a bit of a traditionalists 😊 so I'll keep original. I even have the original 16" wheels on the car as that's how it came from the factory.

ATB πŸ˜€

Very common issue. Two part variants exist, depending on Varioram or not. Discussed several places: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1350763-cracked-plastic-engine-component-how-serious.html
Please be aware that if you delete the engine bay fan you will run into problems using the two main ventilation blower fans. The CCU detects the non-op fan and will shut down the main blowers to avoid exhaust fumes into the cabin. The rear blower also has an important role in engine cooling.
Cheers,
Tore

Warning: an easy job that is easily messed up:

1. The thread into the fan shroud gets stripped (its very soft). 2. Bolts fall into the engine.

Please don't ask how I know this.

Simple job although getting to the rightmost screw can be a challenge. No need to remove the screws, just loosen them and the duct will pull out. Slide new one in and tighten.

Check the part number from your old one as you can not be sure of the one you need by just "Varioram and non Varioram".

Varioram version:
NaxWRCL.jpg

Hi All,

Job doneπŸ‘ must be the easiest job I've ever done on my car. It took 15 minutes. Slackened off the 3 bolts removed the A/C pipes clip and pulled out the old one. Slid the new one in, juggled it around until I got the rear clips in and the bolt holes lined up. I then pushed it onto the air box, it just clipped straight in. Tightened everything up and ran the car, no air leaks so it's a good un πŸ‘Œ

ATB😁

Attachments

• 20231109_162032_resized.jpg
    20231109_162032_resized.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231109_161749_resized.jpg
    20231109_161749_resized.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 13

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members