Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice needed for caliper repair

kp278

Monza
Hi, my caliper is currently with Pro-Calipers due to a leaking nipple. It doesn't leak a lot but after being sat for a couple of days there is usually something glistening. If I leave it for a bit longer then that it will run down and onto the alloy. I've spoken to Tom who has checked threads, seat and pressure tested and advised everything is fine. Do I request that the thread is replaced anyway? I'm loathed to refit the caliper if it's going to leak again. Tom has suggested that I could tighten that one a bit more, upto 20nm.

The leak started after replacing all 8 nipples with HEL items, only to have a couple of them leak. I've then bought new brembo items but one nipple still leaks.

If it leaks it has nothing to do with the threads - they play no part in sealing it. It's either the angled face on the front of the nipple or the seat in the caliper that it seals against. Pro-calipers should know that IMHO. tightening it up will help solve the problem, or just re-maching the seat in the caliper, unless it was the nipple at fault. But I'm guessing they'll have mixed the nipples round now so you'll probably never know until everything is back on the car and at home. If it's one caliper on one bleed hole - re-machine the seat in that hole, then fit 2 new nipples.

Could try one of these if you get it back and tightening doesn't do the trick?

Andy

Attachments

• img_8438_545.png
    img_8438_545.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 775
Do you gave Porsche nipples?

I was going to replace mine with some titanium ones recently but then I found out, on the Forum, that they do not seat properly and would leak so I stuck with original ones.

I replaced all my rears with cheap stainless ones off eBay and they've all been fine.

Update: I decided not to go with the repair on Toms advice, unfortunately after refitting it's still leaking, although this time it's leaking from the thread (not the top of the nipple as before)

Is there another caliper repair shop that one would recommend?

Its still the nipple seat thats the problem.

I'm upto 20nm so far, wonder how high it can go - how sound is the theory that aluminium is softer and by tightening it'll shape the seat to the nipple face, which I could then slack off.

Or - more likely - I'll strip the thread. Nothing to lose if it needs repairing anyway right :)

Or I could refit one of the old nipples, would rule out a dodgy nipple I would guess

Just try swapping the nipples on that caliper and see if the problem is with the nipple or the nipple aperture.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back