Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS kicks in early / Ice mode - which sensors to check?

JonnieD

Nurburgring
Can anyone help me please :worship:

I've just had a couple of heart stopping moments when the ABS has kicked in early, preventing me from slowing down as I'd expected to!! It seems similar to a problem I've seen with 996's where the car goes into "Ice mode" and you only get ca. 20% braking. Lifting off and reapplying does seem to work, but I can easily recreate the issue.

I haven't got any codes being thrown on the car, but I wonder if there's an issue with the ABS sensor or one of the speed sensors that could be causing this?

I'm sure I've seen a code for an ABS issue and I think there's a dash warning too. But are they any speed sensors codes that could be thrown?

Cheers all,

Jonathan

Have you changed the tyres recently? I bet front to rear tyre wear difference is out of tolerance. This happened on my C4S

Winny911 said:
Have you changed the tyres recently? I bet front to rear tyre wear difference is out of tolerance. This happened on my C4S

Thanks for the feedback.

My tyres are new though, went on 2 weeks ago. The ABS feels the same as with the old tyres (though more grip!).

Was that all 4 tyres replaced with new matching brand? Only the symptoms you describe are indicative of low tread front tyres being used with new rear tyres or possibly different brand front to rear

Winny911 said:
Was that all 4 tyres replaced with new matching brand? Only the symptoms you describe are indicative of low tread front tyres being used with new rear tyres or possibly different brand front to rear

Yes, brand new Conti Super Contact 7's in factory recommended sizes, on standard wheels.

There's really nothing different in my suspension either, apart from H&R springs (although I'm about change them for some higher ones due to being too low!).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back