Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A little interior modding..

Basalt_Yellow_997

Silverstone
Thought this may be of interest..

I get bored easily. To that end, I thought, ***** it! Let's pretend I'm a Porsche designer. OK So, I borrowed all their ideas..

However, I did transform my slightly dated-looking 2005 997 and got it a bit more up to date (at least in 997 terms..)

Enjoy the before and afters..

JOBS DONE:

- Installed gen 2 / 991 Steering Wheel (Yes, the PDK buttons are just for show / make it look sexier / and the wheels are cheap because people want flappy paddles :grin: )

- Installed Clarion VX404E Double Din HU (PCM 2.1 sucks quite a lot, plus I felt it was starting to date the car)

- Total black out of centre console (mainly to match the new HU, but also because I felt the grey looked a but 00's and black is black is black..)

--- The above involved finding a black OEM Air Con / HVAC unit and swapping it over and careful masking and painting of other elements (I had a pro body shop do this for me)

The steering wheel was a bit of a doddle until predictably, the horn didn't work. Simply requires PIWIS (and only PIWIS) to activate multi function controls for the wheel. Oh and the six point torx is fine for the 12 point bolt

The HU was actually easier and cheaper than anyone described online. It DIDN'T require any harness of any kind. I have the non-BOSE setup with amp in the front. Although I was told these are all optic fibre, they're not. My PCM 2.1 is fed by a rainbow of ISO (?) wires and simply requires any decent car audio chap to cut and splice a few wires to get full functionality from all the speakers with the new HU. (Happily the £150 harness I shelled out for went straight back!) :))) Sounds frikkin great (OE speakers are genuinely good) and so nice to have both touch screen and bluetooth music. Others may want the higer spec Sat Nav unit but I tend to prefer Google Maps through my phone on the windscreen mount. (Google Maps is just less of a ballache to use and obvs never needs updating)

Hoping to sell the old PCM Unit and HVAC for an essentially no-cost mod!

The grey fascia for the HU I had painted and placed a white decal I had left over from my caliper mod I did previously. It took me a day to adjust to the new look, but now I'm super happy with it now. Yeah maybe the decal doesn't look particularly OE but it works and fills a gap

The new wheel TRANSFORMS the feel of the dash and totally modernises it. I'd recommend it to anyone. Plus it's flat bottomed and feels thicker and more plush. Handles well too. And I actually think my fake PDK look adds a gloss to everything. They're nice looking / feeling buttons.

COST OF PARTS:

Wheel job

New / used PDK steering wheel £100

Airbag nicked from a Cayenne £300

Labour (PIWIS use) £30

- old wheel and airbag sold for £250

Total cost: £180

Centre console

Head Unit: £175

Fascia and fitting kit £25

Aerial adaptor £10

Air Con unit £50

Radio labour £50

Paint labour £20

- Sell old PCM unit £250?

- sell old Air con unit £50-100?

Total bill: Negligible?

Attachments

• img_20160311_wa0004_627.jpg
    img_20160311_wa0004_627.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 5,559
  • snapchat_4811699848811247961_581.jpg
    snapchat_4811699848811247961_581.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 5,559
  • snapchat_1253290504977600492_633.jpg
    snapchat_1253290504977600492_633.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 5,559
  • snapchat_8251571095632853795_156.jpg
    snapchat_8251571095632853795_156.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 5,559
Very nice job, I agree the biggest two things to freshen the 997.1 interior is a steering wheel to a gen2/991 and a double din head unit. I like the black and its a simpler option than the gen2 console facelift I am looking into, now that some of the forum members have overcome the A/C incompatibility issue.
I personally prefer the gen2 rocker wheel to the flappy paddles and I did the same as you , needed a steering module as mine is a tip.
great you had a car not fitted with fibre optic cable as you saved on the most unit. honestly undecided on the white porsche sticker but its your car not mine.
The black extras sit nicely with the volcano grey trim and black dials, next bits could be carbon handbreak and gear knob the carbon tip shifter is next on my list , I have added a new black centre console and taken the grey one out and an alcantara armrest and handbreak rear trim. also going to get Designls to trim the tip surround in black alcantara with white/grey french stitching oh yes and upgrade the interior lights to the bright white from the old yellow look I currently have. I was wondering what I would get for my old gen 1 round sports steering wheel and air bag you got £250 was that the thinner triangle type. What's next on your list :thumb: :grin:

Attachments

• img_0354_204.jpg
    img_0354_204.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 5,523
Well done. Have you also installed a Boxster gear knob too?

Jam911 said:
Well done. Have you also installed a Boxster gear knob too?

Cheers!

Boxster knob? Is it? I have no clue..

Wasn't me, if so. Quite like it though. Someone put a carbon fibre finish one in my old 986 and I always longed for the standard black leather

Horses for courses!

post-10990-1236439149.jpg
[/img]

It would be great if you could get the dedundent tip buttons on the steering wheels to operate the stereo volume! Some electronics wizard must be able to sort it?

basildon993 said:
It would be great if you could get the dedundent tip buttons on the steering wheels to operate the stereo volume! Some electronics wizard must be able to sort it?

Haha what a crazy but altogether awesome idea...... :roll:

You know your AC wont work with that AC unit? If you never use it then it's no biggie.

Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:
You know your AC wont work with that AC unit? If you never use it then it's no biggie.

Defo does work :) (if that's directed at me)

Had it on during motorway rain today

A group of us did the conversion over the last year. We installed PCM3 from the Gen.2 the AC unit and the lower PSM strip underneath. The only thing we couldn't get working was the AC unit... Until last month. To make it work we needed to rewire the power in the loom to match the different wiring of that unit and reprogram the gateway in PIWIS. And we had to use a AC unit from the 2009 turbo as its the only one that will work in a gen.1 car.

Have a read of these threads:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=100986&highlight=conversion

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113034

isysman said:
Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:

A group of us did the conversion over the last year. We installed PCM3 from the Gen.2 the AC unit and the lower PSM strip underneath. The only thing we couldn't get working was the AC unit... Until last month. To make it work we needed to rewire the power in the loom to match the different wiring of that unit and reprogram the gateway in PIWIS. And we had to use a AC unit from the 2009 turbo as its the only one that will work in a gen.1 car.

Mine is just a gen 1 equivalent in black. Plug and play..

Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:
Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:

Haha so it is! Sorry thought it was a later one. Now that I actually looked at it I can see that clearly! :D

isysman said:
Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:
Basalt_Yellow_997 said:
isysman said:

Haha so it is! Sorry thought it was a later one. Now that I actually looked at it I can see that clearly! :D

Haha yaseeeee

I was actually pretty damn chuffed to find one going spare on eBay. Can't imagine there are that many in black. And with my old grey one I sure as hell didn't fancy masking that many buttons or stripping the thing down to bits. Timing is everything when modding 🤗

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back