Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 PCCM+ information

esendia

Monza
Hi, if anyone has installed one of the new PCCM's may I get a little information from you guys regarding the unit?

Would you be able to tell me the software version from the menu screen as well as whether with car play if the dash screen show the song playing and navigation directions or it just shows APP and APP Navigation?

Just curious if us with the older 996's version may be due an update soon to get some of the new features like the trip computer, fingers crossed.

based on the manual - android 6.0

the instrument cluster info (song name, turn-by-turn) should only work via the native porsche nav + music apps.

the chances of waze/google maps spitting out this info while under a wrapper-application (carplay/AA) is slim to none - this does suck as most users would rather much use waze/google/carplay/AA vs the native car apps in todays day + age.

myw said:
based on the manual - android 6.0

the instrument cluster info (song name, turn-by-turn) should only work via the native porsche nav + music apps.

the chances of waze/google maps spitting out this info while under a wrapper-application (carplay/AA) is slim to none - this does suck as most users would rather much use waze/google/carplay/AA vs the native car apps in todays day + age.

Thanks!

If you go to "settings/version info" you'll get a screen like shown below in the attachment. It would be super interesting to see what software the 997 PCCM+ comes with. THanks!!

Attachments

• img_6154_179.jpg
    img_6154_179.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,102
I've fitted the 996 variant but not the 997 .. is there a separate microphone and gps antenna does anyone know that needs to be installed or does it use existing components ?

If not it seems like a basic swop so no real labour charge to fit .

deMort said:
I've fitted the 996 variant but not the 997 .. is there a separate microphone and gps antenna does anyone know that needs to be installed or does it use existing components ?

It's VERY similar to the 996 PCCM+, mic and GPS are supplied. You can see lots of information on the Friends Green Porsche video

deMort said:

the pccm+'s seem to all be android 6.0 devices, not oem porsche/becker radios - hence there is no integration to existing oem car components thru the main oem harnesses.

myw said:
deMort said:

the pccm+'s seem to all be android 6.0 devices, not oem porsche/becker radios - hence there is no integration to existing oem car components thru the main oem harnesses.

It connects directly into the original OEM audio harness to utilise the existing amp and speakers. In addition, in some cars it will display navigation information on the dashboard LCD screen and you can also use any existing GPS antenna (with a converter cable from Porsche, which is not in the box :roll: )

Does anyone with a software developer brain think there is a possibility of pulling the PCCM software from the unit and sideloading it as a launcher onto one of the more powerful Android headunits that have been spoken about on here before?

KillsBugs said:
Does anyone with a software developer brain think there is a possibility of pulling the PCCM software from the unit and sideloading it as a launcher onto one of the more powerful Android headunits that have been spoken about on here before?

If its all android based theres a reasonable chance some of it would work, the canbus integration would be very interesting (eg nav instructions on the dash). If anyone could get the PCCM+ hooked up to a laptop via USB and see if its possible to get an adb session to it to pull off the APKs that would be a good start. Not sure how easy (or possible) it would be to get access to the standard android stuff to enable things like adb.

Or if anyone has a copy of the system image that they use to flash/update the units, that would probably be a good start

Is there a USB port on the back of the unit or just the front? If there is one on the back, I'm wondering if you could add a wireless CarPlay dongle.

1marc said:
Is there a USB port on the back of the unit or just the front? If there is one on the back, I'm wondering if you could add a wireless CarPlay dongle.

There's no rear usb and attempts to use the 996 media box haven't been successful. CarPlay is only available from the front unfortunately.

It's still a massive step forward from the old PCM.

I put the supplied mic into a donor original mic shell and fitted it in the space on the left hand side of the steering column cowl. There's loads of info on the rennlist pccm thread.

I love the idea of this, but at the price point I think it's shocking they have the nerve to charge extra for the maps on top.

HI,

I placed the PCCM Plus and wrote a small installation document. Sadly the pdf size is 466 kB so it is to big to post.
If you are interested please send me a pm with your email address and I will send the document

Regards
Hans

Clanky said:
I love the idea of this, but at the price point I think it's shocking they have the nerve to charge extra for the maps on top.

I agree! For the ridiculous amount of money Porsche is stealing, the spec is woeful! Not even wireless CarPlay! There's a Chinese android unit that has been developed with a Rennlist chap, similar looks to the PCCM+ but with 8" screen and a massive spec for a fraction of the price!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back