Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT3 RS arch extensions - any UK companies make them?

CarreraMonkey

Mugello
Hi all. Have done a search but didn't turn up anything of use (but that could be me, rather than the search function).

Does anyone make (decent) repops of the gt3 rs arch extensions in the UK, if so could you point me in their direction please?

I've seen a US company that does them on ebay, but they look to be the cup style arches which aren tapered at the back bottom edge where they touch the sill, like the RS ones. They're a bit chunkier.

I know D911 do the set for £1100, but I'm trying to avoid going down that route if possible, although it may be unavoidable.

I know there used to be someone in the UK that did them, but can't find any info on them now.

Your knowledge and help is appreciated.

Regards

Matt

Matt , I got mine from the guy on ebay from 8662scott he's not showing them at the moment but maybe worth sending him a message to see if he's got or can get any .
as you say most that seem to be available are the Cup style with the side light blanking panel .

I haven't fitted them so they are still in the garage in a box waiting for me to do something with them lol.
they were around the £300 mark

you will also need the deeper side lights for the RS available from the OPC seem to remember they were around £70/80 again I have those in a box with the arch extenders .

I was very keen to do this mod but I actually now don't think I will .

The difference between the OE and aftermarket extenders is the aftermarket ones use 3m tape the OE ones you need also the RS front bumper not the gt3 front bumper as they seem have cut out sections that the OE extenders clip into , I dont know if the OE ones can have the fitting tabs removed so they can be fitted with 3M tape to a non RS bumper. see the attached photo circled in blue .

IMO on this occasion its better to go aftermarket for this mod :thumb:

Attachments

• 142339482_4833060356767990_7391313134848765341_o_135.jpg
    142339482_4833060356767990_7391313134848765341_o_135.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 2,454
Phil 997 said:
Matt , I got mine from the guy on ebay from 8662scott he's not showing them at the moment but maybe worth sending him a message to see if he's got or can get any .
as you say most that seem to be available are the Cup style with the side light blanking panel .

I haven't fitted them so they are still in the garage in a box waiting for me to do something with them lol.
they were around the £300 mark

you will also need the deeper side lights for the RS available from the OPC seem to remember they were around £70/80 again I have those in a box with the arch extenders .

I was very keen to do this mod but I actually now don't think I will .

The difference between the OE and aftermarket extenders is the aftermarket ones use 3m tape the OE ones you need also the RS front bumper not the gt3 front bumper as they seem have cut out sections that the OE extenders clip into , I dont know if the OE ones can have the fitting tabs removed so they can be fitted with 3M tape to a non RS bumper. see the attached photo circled in Red .

IMO on this occasion its better to go aftermarket for this mod :thumb:

Phil - I should have asked you on the group! Should have known you'd know!

Is the quality OK? I'll try that guy now but would you consider selling yours, if you don't want to use them?

Will pay you what you paid for them of course.

And yes, am aware that the side repeaters need swapping, but they're cheap and easy to get hold of.

:grin: :grin: I wondered why you hadn't asked in the whats app group mate :grin: Quality is reasonable externally surfaces are fine , the GRP is a bit thin in one patch on one of them but had asked my garage about it they were not worried and said the external surface was good and they could easily strengthen the underside , it was an area about 4" that I thought looked a bit thinner than the rest on close inspection, you know me mate fussy git lol..

How about next time your down here come round and have a look , unless you cant wait lol. I could possibly be persueded to sell them as I dont think I will be using them now . the sidelights again you can have for what they cost .

pic is of mine

:thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• porsche_gt3_rs_style_wide_bodyarch_extensions_fender_1_994.jpg
    porsche_gt3_rs_style_wide_bodyarch_extensions_fender_1_994.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,438
Thanks Phil. Didnt ask on WhatsApp as you're never on there anymore!!!
I thought you been involved in an alien abduction!

Steve just put the wheels on and I might actually be able to get away without them.
The 235 tyres look horribly stretched on 9" rims though. Tbh, I think its due to the wall / rim saver profile of Bridgestone potenzas.

245's would be better anyway, so the plan is to fit some 245s of a tyre that doesn't have such a severe rim saver, get the engine back in, stick a degree of camber on it (if needed) and see where it is from there.

I did order a set of gt2 side skirts today though..

CarreraMonkey said:

Steve just put the wheels on and I might actually be able to get away without them.
The 235 tyres look horribly stretched on 9" rims though. Tbh, I think its due to the wall / rim saver profile of Bridgestone potenzas.

245's would be better anyway, so the plan is to fit some 245s of a tyre that doesn't have such a severe rim saver, get the engine back in, stick a degree of camber on it (if needed) and see where it is from there.

Skirts will look good mate easy swap on a wide body car. yes not been chatting recently in the whats app group, but do read whats going on. :thumb:

CarreraMonkey said:

Just reading thread on these GT3 extensions. Do the arches need to need to be trimmed to make full benefit of the extensions and provide the additional room for your wheels?
What offset are your 9"? How far are they poking out? I may have same issue. What suspension do you have? Very interested to find out how you resolve.

tim-06 said:
CarreraMonkey said:

Just reading thread on these GT3 extensions. Do the arches need to need to be trimmed to make full benefit of the extensions and provide the additional room for your wheels?
What offset are your 9"? How far are they poking out? I may have same issue. What suspension do you have? Very interested to find out how you resolve.

I don't believe the arches need to be trimmed. they just stick right on. I also dont think they provide any extra clearance either though, you need the proper RS wings to get that.

The wheels are et48, as it was the only size I could get (frustratingly), so I knew it would be touch and go.

I'm not sure in reality how far they stick out as at the moment as its in the body shop and I haven't been over there lately. Its got the original 235 tyres fitted on the 9" rims and they are very stretched. What you can see in the picture is the rim protector sticking out from the arch. The tyres are Potenza's and they really do have protruding RP's compare dto other tyres.
So the plan is to switch to 245 PS4S and see how it looks then.

The car has m030 suspension anyway, so is at east 20mm lower, and in reality is probably lower than that as the springs are now 13 years old and will have sagged a touch, plus the engine is out so the whole car is sat a bit awkward at the moment anyway. This is refelected in the rear where ther appears to be some tyre showing, but they will tuck back in when there is weight on them.

Will wait until tyres are on and engine in, before I make a decision. Maybe stick a degree of camber on it all round to see if it pulls the edges inside the arch enough.

Attachments

• img_20210129_wa0014_171.jpg
    img_20210129_wa0014_171.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,029
Thanks for clarifying and from the pic i agree with you it is slightly poking out. My front wheels are 9" and were only available in ET45, but seems to poke out much more than the additional 3mm in your photo. I'm using 235 as well and it is stretched but it helps tuck the top of the tyre within the arch. I'll try to get a photo as car is at workshop.

I'm trying to figure ways to bring the wheel back into the arch so I can lower the car.

Could you also advise is there plenty of clearance to the suspension?

Also like the black headlight surrounds. Did you make them yourself? Or can these be bought ready to stick on?

tim-06 said:
Thanks for clarifying and from the pic i agree with you it is slightly poking out. My front wheels are 9" and were only available in ET45, but seems to poke out much more than the additional 3mm in your photo. I'm using 235 as well and it is stretched but it helps tuck the top of the tyre within the arch. I'll try to get a photo as car is at workshop.

I'm trying to figure ways to bring the wheel back into the arch so I can lower the car.

Could you also advise is there plenty of clearance to the suspension?

Also like the black headlight surrounds. Did you make them yourself? Or can these be bought ready to stick on?

TBH I'm not sure there are ways to bring them back inside the arch. I looked at the option for milling 5mm off the inside face of the wheel, but that won't work as there is only about that much clearance between the wheel and the caliper. if that isn't the case for your wheels, it may be an option, but you certainly wouldn't want to remove too much as you'd diminish the integral strength.

I had a look a while back and there was sufficient space between the rim and the suspension on the inside, but from memory, I really couldn't tell how much.

I bought the vinyl headlights surrounds from the states years ago. they could do with replacing probably. There was a UK guy making them and selling them on ebay. May be worth a look to see if they are still on there.

Could the issue not be solved by adding some camber? Within the pic it looks like you have little to no camber?

I currently have standard c2 suspension so not sure how much camber can be added if at all on this set up. Is it possible? Also the tyre is so close to the spring perch base that tilting the wheel in may cause rubbing issues. When I looked it was all very tight around there.

In terms of caliper clearance the wheels have plenty of space, maybe you have thicker calipers and discs on your car which bring them closer to the back of the spokes.

I will see if any can be take off the back of wheel but as you say it depends on the meat left where you bolt through.

Is there any simpler way to get the wheel in without carrying out arch work or getting coilovers?

I'll look on ebay to see about the headlight surrounds.

Cunno said:
Could the issue not be solved by adding some camber? Within the pic it looks like you have little to no camber?
Yes, I did say above that I was going to add some camber - plus there's no engine in the car which is screwing the general camber anyway..

Cunno said:

Gordon Bennett- £3K for wings and then paint on top- that's the road I'd rather not travel down. Nice for a race car if really required but I cannot justify this on a road car.

I'd rather get some coilovers and arms to sort out this issue. Anybody have a set for 997? Or is there a coilover people would recommend? My car is Non PASM. Was thinking BC is a palatable price point, but tbh if can resolve without resorting to this that's the option I'm pursuing as I've already bought some H&R springs.

Hopefully can also shave a bit off to get to ET50.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back