Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Black Edition

Vortex

I sold my 997.2 Black Edition manual last November after owning for just over 6 years, when I purchased the car I planned to keep it 2-3 years but liked it so much that I ended up keeping it much longer. I really agonised over changing it but eventually replaced it with 2018 991.2 Carrera S.

I found the 997.2 a great all rounder and the 345 bhp always felt plenty enough for me for road use. I'm toying with the idea of buying another 997.2 (either a Carrera or an S) in the future to keep alongside the 991.2 although that be a couple of years off.

Loved the spec of the Black Edition and how it looked on the Turbo II alloys, mine had metallic Black paint (Basalt) so fairly easy to keep clean for an occasionally used car. It was super reliable with the only issue being a clutch pedal micro switch which played up intermittently until replaced.

Lovely looking car - clean and fresh. :thumb:

How do the NA and turbo engines compare. :?:

The turbo engine is very good and it's impressive with how close they have tried to make it to N/A feel. The sound is a little different and will probably never quite be the same (even with the sports exhaust fitted which mine has). The bottom line is the turbo route for the standard Carrera's was forced on them by emissions targets rather than something they really wanted to do. Most would have rather have a 4.0 N/A if they would make one.

The refinement in the 991.2 has been welcome on long runs, I'm not sure i'd like it anymore refined like I'm hearing the 992 is.

Vortex said:
The turbo engine is very good and it's impressive with how close they have tried to make it to N/A feel. The sound is a little different and will probably never quite be the same (even with the sports exhaust fitted which mine has). The bottom line is the turbo route for the standard Carrera's was forced on them by emissions targets rather than something they really wanted to do. Most would have rather have a 4.0 N/A if they would make one.

The refinement in the 991.2 has been welcome on long runs, I'm not sure i'd like it anymore refined like I'm hearing the 992 is.

I thought that when I drove a 991.2 C2S compared to my 997.1 C2S. The newer car was so much faster and would hammer my car on most things - refinement, grip, body control etc.

The only thing that was lacking was the noise and the linear feel the 997.1 had. Made my car feel like a good 1960's VW Beetle.

Having just bought one, I just think the 997.2 is the sweet spot of modern/analogue.

Hydraulic steering, naturally aspirated engine, manual box. That's just something I can't see any manufacturer doing any time soon.

Still has Sat Nav, can connect an iPhone, decent lights, parking sensors etc.

It's also not too big, not too small, perfect 911 for me.

2 things I'm not keen on after a few weeks of ownership. The 1st - 2nd gear change and the woeful noise. It really is pathetic for a 3.8 flat 6.

One I can remedy easily (noise), the other I'm not so sure. I'll learn to live with it and call it character. I'm due a 12 year service soon, that will include gearbox oil so I'm hoping that this might help a little.

Mogwai[/u]

Mogwai said:
Having just bought one, I just think the 997.2 is the sweet spot of modern/analogue.

Hydraulic steering, naturally aspirated engine, manual box. That's just something I can't see any manufacturer doing any time soon.

Still has Sat Nav, can connect an iPhone, decent lights, parking sensors etc.

It's also not too big, not too small, perfect 911 for me.

2 things I'm not keen on after a few weeks of ownership. The 1st - 2nd gear change and the woeful noise. It really is pathetic for a 3.8 flat 6.

One I can remedy easily (noise), the other I'm not so sure. I'll learn to live with it and call it character. I'm due a 12 year service soon, that will include gearbox oil so I'm hoping that this might help a little.

Mogwai[/u]

Fit the short shift .....transforms the feel of the gearbox :thumb:

My 997 GTS has the factory short shift or 'Sprts Shifter" as it is called on the spec sheet. One of the things that sold me the car originally was the gearshift !

Mogwai said:

Mogwai[/u]

You might find that new 'box oil helps. Others to consider are replacing engine and gear box mounts, and getting them to check linkage.
Hth

Mogwai said:
and the woeful noise. It really is pathetic for a 3.8 flat 6.

Mogwai[/u]

all 997.2s are a bit too quiet stock.
go for a centre silencer delete, even keeps the switchable pseif yuo have it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back