Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 - Club Sport or Comfort?

NickHappy

Montreal
What's the view on desirability and effect on prices?

I've been investigating 997.1 GT3s - what are the essential must haves on a purchase? Are the comfort specs difficult to sell as there seems to be quite a few available - if club sport am I correct in thinking that a selection of fixed bucket seats were available from spec or only one type. Just conscious that there may be a few cars being sold as a club sport with aftermarket seats/cage and were originally a comfort.

Many thanks

N

Hi Nick,

I have a 7.1 CS.

As I understand it the .1 CS has fixed back carbon buckets only (carrera GT seats as they're otherwise known as). Mine came with them, they don't suit my body shape so they're removed and I've fitted Recaro's.

The .2 CS came with folding buckets which are meant to be more universally comfortable.

If it's a CS, it should absolutely have buckets. Either fixed or folding depending on which gen .1 or .2

I believe that's accurate, but happy to stand corrected.

CS should also come with Schroth harnesses, and the Gloria fire extinguiser in the passenger footwell.

Can't advise on the pricing side I'm afraid, other than CS seem to be more expensive, and perhaps an easier sell.

Attachments

• gen_1_seats_149.jpg
    gen_1_seats_149.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5,480
  • gen_2_seats_176.jpg
    gen_2_seats_176.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,481
I'm pretty sure the Clubsport has a unique factory code (I don't know what it is), look for that when you see the spec sheet for cars you're viewing

There was never such thing as a 'GT3 Comfort", just a 'GT3" and a 'GT3 with Clubsport" pack / option, so you need to check that option is on the car's factory code sheet

Personally, if I was looking for a GT3 or GT3RS, it would have to be the Clubsport, with the cage, bucket seats and fire extinguisher, and Cup2 tyres, as well as the aircon, as I'd want to drive it to the track.

NickHappy said:
...if club sport am I correct in thinking that a selection of fixed bucket seats were available from spec or only one type.

With the 997.1, from new the Clubsport option was zero cost. However it was only selectable if you optioned the Carrera GT style bucket seats at a cost of approximately £4k. These seats are a significant factor because they are very narrow (not just across the base but also the shoulders) thus is you are not built like the proverbial racing driver you may find them pretty uncomfortable (and the more powerfully built may not fit in them at all).

The folding style bucket seats were not introduced until the 997 GT2 came out a while after and were subsequently available as standard on the 997.2 GT3 (no cost for normal sports seats, extra for the Carrera GT style fixed backs from the 997.1). The folding buckets were also a cost option on the 997 GTS, 997.1.5 Turbo & Turbo S, Boxster Spyder and Cayman R).

The folding seats have a fit very similar to the 996 buckets (considered by most to be the ultimate one-size-fits-all bucket seat) and are strongly recommended where you can get them, but on a 997.1 they will only be in there if they were fitted aftermarket (for which Porsche would have relieved someone of about £8k, so don't pin your hopes on finding such a thing).

In short : if you fit the seats then buy a Clubsport. If you are going to track it and don't fit them : buy a Clubsport then replace at least your drivers seat with a Recarro that you do fit and store the original one (don't sell it on - you'll need it to get what the car is worth if you resell it). If you don't really need buckets then just get a comfort and save yourself some cash.

Many thanks to you all for the replies on this - good info. I think of myself as fairly slim so buckets would work for me, plus I think another reason for an upgrade to a GT3 is make every drive an occasion which I'm sure the buckets will help with.

It confirms my thinking thanks - and as said; essential spec seems to be cage, buckets, extinguisher and air con. i.e. club sport 👍🏻

-ollie- said:
The .2 CS came with folding buckets which are meant to be more universally comfortable.
Not 100% - it's sort of down to the individual, although agree the Gen 2 folding buckets are definitely more generous. They also make it far easier to stash luggage or crash helmets behind the seats on trips.

If OP is fairly light and slim as he says, fixed-back ones from the Gen 1 Clubsport should not be a problem.

Ive had my GT3 for 8 years now. Only ever done touring , mostly in Europe and a couple of charity track days.

Mine has the 18 way electric or comfort seats. They have been perfect for all my usages.
I would not let the seats sway you away from a well looked after non club sport model.

Mine is a 997.1 GT3 with carbon buckets but not a CS car. They aren't ideal if your a bit lardy but they fit me fine. My friend has a 997 GT3 CS obviously the scaffolding poles are a useful safety addition and add some rigidity but unless you do a lot of track days or like to hang up your washing he reports they do squeak a fair bit and obviously add weight. Air con I'm pretty sure is available on all GT3 models. Fire extinguisher surely a bit of a novelty. Has anyone ever used one?

I'm a fat ***** and fitted in my .1 buckets just fine :pc: :mrgreen:

Personally I would not get hung up about CS or Comfort Specification they are both lovely sports cars, tactile, rewarding and something special. If you buy a Comfort Spec. you will pay less and sell for less and can always get some Recaro seats put in ( - OEM ones are hard to get hold of but aftermarket will be fine*).

My car was orginally a Comfort car (996 GT3) but has Porsche Recaros and the OEM fire extinguisher (my wife hates it as it sits in the middle of the footwell on a 996). It also has the OEM roll cage. The seats were done either from factory or by a previous owner.

I would buy on condition and then turn it into what you want. If you get a Clubsport you (or your wife) may find it too harsh for general use. If it is mainly a track car then CS has to be the easiet way to go.

Good luck either way.

Pip

*there were some carbon buckets for sale on Farcebook for £3,000 in Edenbridge, Kent a couple of days ago. I assume that everyone says the cars are not much bigger this could be put into a 997 - ??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back