Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 60k Service

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
My car has just passed 60k and is due for its annual service.

I am wondering as it's now 15 years old I should perhaps be doing additional things, such as transmission oil change..... or anything else

I just got a quote from my local Indy who are planning on putting on putting Mobile 0 40w in and I'm wondering if that's the right oil for the engine and age now.... (It currently doesn't burn any oil)

Last question - what are peoples thoughts on supplying own oils and filters. I'm not a tight arse, but charging £35 more for 10 litres of oil than internet prices and £60 for a pollen filter is a little extreme.... That's all on top of the £80 an hour plus VAT.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I do my gearbox oil every 3 years. I also used to supply my own parts as I then have all the documented evidence of what was put in. Got a new mechanic this time though who charges more if you supply your own parts. (£40/hr instead of his normal rate of £35/hr + VAT) so I let him buy the parts this time but stipulated all manufacturers were listed on the invoice. I'd stick with mobil 1 as yet for another 40k minimum.

There are many threads on oil but my 997.1 changed over to 5W40 at around 60K and still does not burn any (currently 95K). If memory serves me correctly, a key decider in moving to 5W40 is that it offers better protection to a more mature engine.

the millers nanotech is the go to is it not once the miles go up a bit? (or even before that).

iirc theory is it clings to the cylinder walls longer and reduces the chances of bore scoring

My indy said go to mobil 1 5w40 when it got to over 60k miles, and been on it since. On 92k now. It does use a bit, but well within normal, and it does get used properly when I drive it as I work from home and live in the countryside, with some nice roads around me :) Indy said Millers is good, Mobil is just as good and fine...

Thanks for your replies.

Guess I'm a little disappointed with my current Indy as they offer little advice and churn out the 'boiler plate' quote without really listening to what I'm asking... it then grinds a bit when the prices they quote are well above what we can all buy it online.

Many Thanks.

Didn't know there was a mobil 1 5w40. :dont know:

" Indy said Millers is good, Mobil is just as good and fine..."
to be honest I would argue that, but , it is your car. Personally I stick to Millers as do quite a few on here. Buy from Opie Oils, best price.

halfords is quite good for the millers if you have a trade card

need to order it in though iirc

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back