Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT vs 997 TT prices merging??

kas750 said:
Integrale,ugly?

According to my mate , yes.

I seen an Aston DB5 this morning , it sounded and looked great

It was deffo not Fugly

ragpicker said:
My choice was between a 997 and 996 turbo. After driving both I couldn't see any positive difference in the drive of the 997. In fact it reminded me of when I bought my old E90 M3 after having an E46 M3 for years - a total step in the wrong direction. The driver is more removed from the driving experience in my opinion.

Add that to the lovely unique headlights of the 996 range - a headlight design not seen on any other 911 - and the lines it shares with the 996 4S (the best looking 911 Porsche have ever made IMO) and it was indeed a no brainer for me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
As I speak I can't see me ever being in a position where I need to sell it, therefore whilst I will undoubtedly be getting another Porsche in the future, I'll never be selling the turbo.

100% Agree and will also add it's the 'sheep' mentality with peoples view on the headlights, someone wrote a review WITH THEIR OPINION of the headlights and slated it, everyone jumped on the bandwagon..
But the thing was the review was done on the first 996's ,,, NOT TURBO's, and those headlights with the orange did indeed look lame, and also matched with the 'famously slated and unloved boxter of the time with similar lights...
So the 'sheep' stuck with their shallow herd mentality without comparing and actually giving it though of their own!

QUOTE - IMHO the 996 has a classic sports dash, the 997 is too 'production car'. - QUOTE

Spot on!

Ok now regarding the topic of 996T vs 997T prices....
Everyone has now seen the madness in the Car market (super sports) over the last year or two and it's gaining more and more interest allover. This means there will now be more players looking to get in on the action.... 'more buyers, less sellers = £'s

96T's are creeping up, 'quality examples' which are scarce generally don't even make the forecourt as a number of the big traders already have waiting buyers for the better examples.
The rest come on the general market and are usually gone within a short time frame!
Private and Traders seeing this will keep adding on the noughts as demand increases.

97T owners also mointoring the situation, create a small worry as they are concerned about their devaluation, panic about potentially taking a future big hit, decide to bail now and offer up for sale without too much concern on price as they just want to cash in asap because they are seeing a current continual downward trend.
Now the Market becomes flooded with 997's, kills the price even more, and in the process making the interest in 996's even more desirable......

I've had my 96T for a year and I look at the ongoing Values like most do, but to me it makes no difference if it goes up or down because as far as I am concerned it has paid for itself already, every time I use it it's special and I get my moneys worth, wether that was 10K or 50K, it's mine, I love it and have no intention of letting someone else have my pleasure!

I bought my Car to use and enjoy for what it was designed for... It makes me happy on the road, track or just sitting in the Garage.
There's no price for this!
:thumbs:

Depreciation is only a problem if you sell it!

The beauty of choice means you can choose the car you prefer. No point trying to try to convince others which car looks better because it's all personal choice really.

As far as which car drives better, I think everyone would agree that each model released by Porsche is generally an improvement on the one that came before. However people find different things make them happy about how a car handles so again maybe it's personal choice.

I can relate to a few people here. I have been back on the lookout for a 996t. Now prices have started to come down on the 997 I have been tempted. My reasoning for the 997 is simply because I don't want to jump into a car that feels more dated than my current car (v8 rs4). 2 completely different cars I know but still. Realistically as mentioned, the real gap your looking at 10k and it's 10k more than I can spend at the moment so am kind of answering my own dilemma. I was considering waiting it out but don't want to risk missing the gravy train either. I may have the opportunity for a under 20k miles 996t for 40k soon but it's not certain yet and more than I would like to spend. Time will tell...

3.2 Carrera said:
plynchy said:
The interior of a 997 is about 30 years ahead of the 996.

+1

I HATE the interior of the 997, much prefer my 996.2

996turboseeker said:
My uneducated assumption about existing 997 owners sitting on a heap of depreciation only applies to early models that they've owned for a while. Mind you there doesn't look to be much on the market, still less when you're as anally retentive about exterior colour as I am (silver or nothing!!)

I imagine that given my day car is a Q7, I would adore driving either car, and I'd probably stick to looking for a manual.

Mileage doesn't phase me, but what will is condition regardless of mileage. I guess the answer is to keep a close eye on the classifieds and track prices over the coming months.

Re the Mezger engine, what's the deal there?

It's the potential for further depreciation that scares me more than stumping up the cash. I know it's something I shouldn't be focusing on but in my own head I'm trying to work out where the longer term values of these cars might sit...

You drive a Q7 and fret about depreciation............................. :D

Classic car values are rarely effected by interior styling. Just look at the 964 and 993. A 996 is closer to classic than modern now.

Maybe if you are buying a car to be modern then undoubtedly the newer car will have more modern interior!!

Talking of ugly cars.. I owned 2 integrales and you certainly did not buy them for their interiors!!!!!

love integrates, pics please!

T8 said:
alex yates said:
IMHO the 996 has a classic sports dash, the 997 is too 'production car'.

+2

I heartily agree with this too. The 997 interior is rather angular, which is at odds with the sweeping body panels on the outside.

The centre console around the PCM looks far too busy for my liking, especially compared to the simplicity and clarity of the 996's.

Outside, I genuinely think the headlights are more suited to the aggressive stance that the '6T has, particularly with the butch air intakes in the front PU.

A friend of mine (a member on here) coined the expression that the '7T's looks are too contrived. I reckon he is spot on.

It is only an opinion though and I fully respect all the guys who look at the cars from the opposite perspective (just to save the recently formed militia from tearing me to pieces)

Any 911 is still beautiful to these eyes though.

DynoMike said:
Any 911 is still beautiful to these eyes though.

Yup, I am never anything but amazed at the BS thrown from one model owner to another. If I'd Jay Leno's wallet I'd have one of them all :food:

Nastymatt said:
http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-for-sale/911/996-turbo-for-sale-666

Not an S and not the best interior.... £53k. I think the 996t should be taken on it's own merrits not compared to a 997... as all other 911 models are.

£53,990 actually :eek:

WTF :eek:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back