Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 oil Indicator Failure - which crows foot?

knw911

Silverstone
Hey guys

my "oil indicator failure" has come on a few times with the oil pressure bouncing around. Reading around, seems fairly common. Some people suggest just cleaning the terminals (will try that), but equally, doesn't seem hard or expensive to simple replace the switch (£40-60 ish).

What does seem "difficult" is finding the right crows foot wrench. Seemingly most are too thick, resulting in people have to angle grind them down to get them to fit.

Anyone managed to buy one off the shelf that fits. For a 15 mins job, I don't want to spend 1 hour grinding a tool.

Links to purchases very much welcome.

Not an answer to your question but in case you are considering getting someone else to do it, 9-Excellence changed mine alongside some other work and they charged me £101.96 in total to change the switch. Not sure what the hourly rate there is but possibly half an hour plus switch (£57)?

I thought that was very fair given the awkwardness factor of me trying to change it lying on my back and having to buy a tool like you.

HTH

Ray

Super_Ray said:
Not an answer to your question but in case you are considering getting someone else to do it, 9-Excellence changed mine alongside some other work and they charged me £101.96 in total to change the switch. Not sure what the hourly rate there is but possibly half an hour plus switch (£57)?

I thought that was very fair given the awkwardness factor of me trying to change it lying on my back and having to buy a tool like you.

HTH

Ray

yeah i'm half tempted to get someone to do it, as I would also like to change the starter motor as well. perhaps just get it done together.

knw911 said:
Super_Ray said:

HTH

Ray

yeah i'm half tempted to get someone to do it, as I would also like to change the starter motor as well. perhaps just get it done together.

Hi Ray - just called them to get a quote. I'm actually flying out from Gatwick on tues, back Thurs, so could perhaps be PERFECT timing and way around it

I bought a set of crows foot adaptors, just bog standard ones I would estimate at 8/9mm thick. They're useful if you have to get a torque wrench on something a bit awkward too.

Changing the sensor with them is super super easy, especially if you have a decent selection of socket extensions so you can get the perfect one! It's a 5 minute job max.

The only one I've found that fits without any modification is a Snap-On item, 3/8" Drive Metric 19 mm Open-End Crowfoot Wrench part No FCOM19A and costs around £28 new but some pre owned do come up on ebay for around half that price.

Attachments

• img_2580_142.jpg
    img_2580_142.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 872
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333583616721

I bought these....

s-l300.jpg

Seemed to work OK!

I bought a similar looking set off Amazon and they fitted fine. It's a bit of a squeeze but this job can be done by reaching through the engine compartment. A torch helps.

Shalmaneser said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333583616721

I bought these....

Seemed to work OK!

I bought the same set for what i call disposable emergency tools .. things i can break and not worry about ..

19 mm works fine on the oil sender unit .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back