Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 Brakes, Alcon 362 & RS29 - Final thoughts

Stuart

Zandvoort
About time I updated with final thoughts on the Alcon 362mm and Pagid RS29 combination (initial thread here).

Since fitting the RS29 pads front and rear I've done 3500 very fun filled miles including a Euro trip to Italy, a very wet day at Silverstone, a scorching day at The Ring and another glorious day at Spa.

Throughout all these miles I've had total confidence in this brake set up. There is a definite improvement on modulation and feel over the PF set up (sorry PF fans).

Performance:

On the long and brake heavy downhill Alp twisty sessions there was never any fade and truly confidence inspiring. Slightly OT but as comparison of set up importance an AMV8 we were with had total brake fade half way down, very scary for him...

The sessions at Silverstone, Ring and Spa were very much the same. Silverstone was ridiculously wet so grip was limited but Spa and Ring could let me test in relative anger (relative to my skill...) The one thing I did notice was brake feel was softer after rest and required the Mike Wilds brake test stab before leaving the pits, something I didn't really experience with the PF set up.

Once out though feel was very intuitive with hard initial on and able to modulate. I felt I was able to keep out of front tyre lock whilst still retaining hard deceleration, an example being coming into LaSource at Spa. With the PF I'd often have small tyre lock on hard breaking before turn in. Maybe this is technique over equipment but definitely experienced.

Pic from The Ring:

10423888_10152480905205033_3949439548221292637_n.jpg

Wear:

Wear rate has been good, especially considering the amount of mileage and hard braking recently. There are small surface cracks which is to be expected but disc and pad wear has been marginal. Certainly better running this RS29 combo than the short time with PF08. Also, I haven't experienced any brake judder due to pad build up after 'pussy foot' braking (technical term ;) )

Surface crack image below, ignore the rust spots, it rained pretty heavily after parking up.

photo4-1.jpg

Dust:

PF08 were never dustless but they were a lot better than the RS29. Also, the RS29 dust is more red/orange so shows up more, PF just made the wheels look dirty. Here's 2000miles worth of RS29 dust.

before:

before.jpg

after:

10389612_10152443192240033_6558062710706799378_n.jpg

Noise:

During heavy braking sessions noise was minimal, no squeaking after a few hard stops. Now that I'm back driving in traffic the Pagid squeak is there. Not intrusive to me but very much evident, more motorsport than bus though which is fine with me.

Overall, I am very very happy with the combination and glad I tried them. Just writing this makes me want to go out for a quick 'test'...

For more information and pricing on Alcon and Pagid RS29 check out http://shop.jzmporsche.com.

:thumbs:

Great thread matey, and I concur too...Pagids over PF for me too. 8)

Hi Stuart,

That's a really interesting post. I've been running the same combo on my 996.2 GT3 for a year and a half now and I really like it. Only point of reference I have is the stock set up. PF users I've spoken to have always said that they rate the "feel and modulation" of PF over Alcon/Pagid so it's good to hear an alternative point of view from someone who has run both.

I always find the threshold braking of the Alcon set up at the end of a long straight truly astounding!

Cheers

Slodge

Hi,

Good choice, I've been running Alcons all round with RS29's for three seasons now, new front rotors at the start of this season along with a change in pad make. Went for CL RC6 pads all round, better initial bite than 29's with less dust but they squeal. I have found a bleed after every other track day keeps the pedal high & mighty. The pedal would get slightly longer after every trackday before regular bleeding. SRF fluid changed every season.

Ade[/img]

Nice write up Stuart. Its a well proven combo and what i have on my car at the moment. I have tried the CLRC6 and they work very well. I put them on after a set of endless and yes, they are a bit squealy...maybe on a new disc this wouldn't be a problem One caveat is that you have to keep on top of the dust. If left its a right b4st4rd to remove from wheels and body work. I have a set of CL to go to a good home if anyone wants a reasonably priced set, used for the Goodwood 911uk charity day last year thats all.

Anyone tried the RS19? Whats the difference to RS29? The pagid blurb on their site says not much diff really.

Senoj said:
Nice write up Stuart. Its a well proven combo and what i have on my car at the moment. I have tried the CLRC6 and they work very well. I put them on after a set of endless and yes, they are a bit squealy...maybe on a new disc this wouldn't be a problem One caveat is that you have to keep on top of the dust. If left its a right b4st4rd to remove from wheels and body work. I have a set of CL to go to a good home if anyone wants a reasonably priced set, used for the Goodwood 911uk charity day last year thats all.

Anyone tried the RS19? Whats the difference to RS29? The pagid blurb on their site says not much diff really.

..I'm pretty sure that Nick's tried them....

lol...give it 5 mins.. :wink:

Good review Stuart :thumb:

Senoj said:

Have tried both, RS29 is the choice.

RS-19 Yellow
This material provides very good levels of performance and response at all temperature levels, only slight temperature inputs are required to bring the pad up to its optimum performance level.

RS-29 Yellow
A similar friction coefficient to RS19 but with improvements in initial bite offering quicker response and slightly more temperature stable at the upper levels of the temperature range.

pad-temps.jpg

Great post Stuart and after four rounds of Britcar Trophy - with testing - I can honestly say the RS29s are superb. I'm running them on OEM Sebro discs and without any additional cooling (other than GT3 front ducts) I've had no fade whatsoever. I got a spare set of front pads and I'm not sure I'll even need them this season. We run them on our 997 Cup too.

Chris.

nick w said:
..I'm pretty sure that Nick's tried them....

lol...give it 5 mins.. :wink:

Nope, I only tried RS29s twice (once on PF discs & once on the 380mm Brembos) and didn't get on with them either time. The Brembos wore them out in something like 5 days whereas I'm getting around 8-10 days from the PF11 pads & I just prefer how they feel anyway.

New Brembos going on this week (the second set this year!) but these are a different design & reputedly more durable than the ones I've been using up to now. We shall see...

Stuart said:
Once out though feel was very intuitive with hard initial on and able to modulate. I felt I was able to keep out of front tyre lock whilst still retaining hard deceleration, an example being coming into LaSource at Spa. With the PF I'd often have small tyre lock on hard breaking before turn in. Maybe this is technique over equipment but definitely experienced.

You need to be careful drawing that conclusion Stuart. Remember that the track was well rubbered in after the 24H & the test session on Tuesday. It was also a perfect temperature for grip & I doubt anyone was experiencing braking problems that day - even those two nutters in the matching yellow 991 Turbos ;)

Boo, long time no post!

Nice write up squire, I never ran the full PF setup so can't compare but I got on very well with the Alcon/RS29s setup.

I miss all the tech stuff, might be time to get another Porsche :?:

:bandit:

Long overdue, I'd say James :wack:

How is Bertie these days?

NXI20 said:

Just to keep on thread his AP 6-pots with RS29s are awesome!l I just need to sort the alternator out, my mechanic in Adenau seems to have either renounced all forms of modern comms or lost the car! Off to das 'Ring in a couple of weeks to get it sorted and bring it home for the winter.

Keep me in the loop for any upcoming festivities :thumb:

oze172 said:
NXI20 said:

Just to keep on thread his AP 6-pots with RS29s are awesome!l I just need to sort the alternator out, my mechanic in Adenau seems to have either renounced all forms of modern comms or lost the car! Off to das 'Ring in a couple of weeks to get it sorted and bring it home for the winter.

Keep me in the loop for any upcoming festivities :thumb:

Hi you old reprobate !!! .....good to hear that you're still up and about.
And it's most definitely time that you properly rejoined the fold..and got
into another Porsche. For sure we'll do a curry night in the not to distant
future, and of course no doubt we'll all be up for the annual pre Xmas
one...so, hope to catch up soon !.
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back