Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4s or 997 C2/s?

coullstar

Singapore
Folks, Im on the look out for my first 911 (or Porsche for that matter). I'll be using it mainly for fun but also a little commuting. Probably looking at 6-7k miles a year.

I started looking at 996 C4s's as I love the looks but also considering early 997's. Budget is probably £23k maximum.

Now I drove a 997 C2 a few months back and it was okay but was a little quiet and I suspension was creaking. It was quite a basic spec as well however did have a Hartech rebuild.

Im looking at 996 C4s around 60-80k miles on the clock and the 997's generally closer to 100k. Ive read all the articles on potential engine issues and so a little more wary on the 3.8 especially with higher mileage.

My question is what is the best bet at the moment i.e. a less used 996 C4s or higher mileage 997 3.6? I know it comes down to how it been looked after but all things being equal whats the best?

Just to add to the mix I have found a 54 plate C2s with 76k miles within budget but again Im wary of it being ticking timebomb.

I think the best thing to do is to find the right car whether its a 996 C4S or an early 997 C2.

The 996 C4S arguably has more x-factor, road presence and style and is already seen as a "classic", but to counter that, many will prefer agility of the 2WD and maybe the more modern interior of a 997 C2.

They share the same known issues so I don't think there's a best bet as such, the best car will be one that feels right for you, has the tightest provenance and passes a good PPI. Boring answer I know.

coullstar said:
Im looking at 996 C4s around 60-80k miles on the clock and the 997's generally closer to 100k. Ive read all the articles on potential engine issues and so a little more wary on the 3.8 especially with higher mileage.

My question is what is the best bet at the moment i.e. a less used 996 C4s or higher mileage 997 3.6? I know it comes down to how it been looked after but all things being equal whats the best?

Just to add to the mix I have found a 54 plate C2s with 76k miles within budget but again Im wary of it being ticking timebomb.

I hope you're wrong! I bought a 997.1 C4S with 77k on the clock and no problems. Ticking time bomb? If you're working on the principle that the 3.8 is a case of when rather than if (in terms of bore scoring) then I think that's flawed logic. It's my understanding that it can happen at any mileage and isn't guaranteed at all? I'm enjoying the car (and the performance grin) and sleeping ok as well. Hunt hard and look for the best car you can find at the right price (it's out there), make sure it's been looked after and get it checked professionally. 996 or 997 -they're both belters. :thumb:

Good luck.

Oh yeah I do think it is one of those things that could happen at anytime and it depends on a lot of factors it seems. Im a mechanical engineer so I cant help but think about how things break, lol.

Its just a matter of % really and it does seem that the 3.8 should be more susceptible to bore scoring but again I realise there are a lot of factors in it like past history and hows it been driven.

Heart says 996 C4s, head says buy the newer car.

Are prices still going up ?, perhaps slowed a little.? if so wait till winter as well as you might be able to get a lower mileage one. Not sure if the 996C4S is much wider than the 997. I would go for round lights and modern cabin feel. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back