Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 911 Turbo

AdamW
I'm not 100% convinced on being able to part with my 993 C4

Adam,
Keep the faith, the 993 is a far better car, what you loose in performance you will gain in other areas, seriously. I'm keeping my 993 as it's probably the most rewarding car I've ever owned. 8)

996 tt

Glad you like your turbo how do you find the sound of it though? i love mine to bits and am still enjoying ownership 5 months in definitely the best car ive owned i just think its too quiet for a super car, otherwise amazing

wait till you start tacking corners at 70mph + and its still wanting more that to me was just as shocking as the acceleration. :eek:

Re: 996 tt

mpowerrob said:
Glad you like your turbo how do you find the sound of it though? i love mine to bits and am still enjoying ownership 5 months in definitely the best car ive owned i just think its too quiet for a super car, otherwise amazing
I'd like the exhaust to be a bit louder. I'm thinking maybe a Europipe. This is the Stage 2 Loud but it says it's not recommended for Tiptronics. :(

Ocean Blue said:
AdamW
I'm not 100% convinced on being able to part with my 993 C4

Adam,
Keep the faith, the 993 is a far better car, what you loose in performance you will gain in other areas, seriously. I'm keeping my 993 as it's probably the most rewarding car I've ever owned. 8)

Hi OB,
Thanks for the comments. This is exactly my worry.
I'm sure I will love the brutal speed of the T but fear I will regret getting out of the 93' and will find it harder to make the switch back if (and I know that's an if) I regretted it .
Interesting that you appear to own both??
I totally understand what your are saying about the differences between the two cars but other than performance I would be interested to hear exactly what the 96' is lacking drive-wise in comparison to the 93'. Genuinely interested :grin: :thumbs:

ragpicker said:
Nice car! Looks like it goes well too!
Thanks. :)

ragpicker said:
What did you use to take the video? I'm taking mine round cadwell next week and would like something to use to film. The picture on whatever you used looks great! What did you attach it to??
GoPro Hero 2 Motorsport. It's an excellent little camera. You lock it into a clear plastic case which then attaches to one of several adjustable mounts. The one I used for that clip ends in a suction cup which I stuck to the windscreen.

I really want to try to get some clips with it attached to the outside of the car but I'm worried about the suction cup coming loose. It's designed to be stuck on the outside of cars (and you see loads of them used that way) but I need to rig up some kind of safety cord so that it can't fall off and go bouncing down the road.

Hi Adamw, Yes I have both,
What the respected members say about the turbo is all true, when you open the taps the thing goes ballistic, primarily with the scenery and secondary with the noise from the passenger seat. It's a triangle made up of partner, time and fun. Every time I read Michellins enthusiasm for the car I'd play it down until a quite stretch of road presented itself, and realised this enthusiasm was not his fault and it's actually a virus caught on 911uk that's affecting all turbo owners, so I was just trying to look after your health. For me the car is a daily drive and probably one of the best daily drives I've owned as there is no consideration to selling it 18 months in unlike previous hacks. There is a consideration for the 997 turbo S however if you read Chimps comments of 996 turbo chipped v 997 turbo S stock I'd only be paying for the upgraded interior.

In truth I can't really speak for you, only make tongue in cheek comments. I just happen to love air cooled and embrace the whole ethos of it. I'm not wanting a bun fight on 993 v 996, as it would be pointless. If I had the space I'd add a cooking pre-impact bumper 911 or a 356 cab, not excluding the 964 or a Paul Stephens conversion, although sadly Paul Stephens has had none in stock for a long time. I was in OPC yesterday, reading I think GT Porsche, turn to page 19 and see what Peter Morgan has to say about the 993, this may alter your viral thinking. What can I really say other than good luck or welcome to the club?

I took the Turbo out this morning for its first proper B-road blast on some of my favourite local roads. I deliberately chose tight, twisty stuff to try out the car's handling rather than its straight-line performance.

Utterly ****ing brilliant. :D Confidence-inspiring, communicative, agile and so, so quick. Wow.

An Audi RS3 joined in at the beginning but he was all over the place through the corners, and no more than a rapidly-disappearing dot in my mirrors on the straights; after struggling with a couple of corners that the Turbo just annihilated he gave up.

:drive:

I took mine out yesterday for a quick drive on the twisties as well. The acceleration, braking an handling are so far above what you can safely use on the road that I do think for tight twisty roads a less powerful car might make for a more rewarding drive, but then as soon as the roads open up I'd want to be back in the turbo. There is certainly good justification IMO for an air cooled companion for any later turbo, money, SWMBO and space permitting of course.

MC

Great clip, great roads, great marmot discussion. :grin:

Is the commentary for the benefit of the rest of the group following behind? Lorry, camper van, etc.

Yes there were 6 other cars behind us so the commentary was to let them know if anything was heading their way :thumb:

chimp911 said:
I quite like this clip of a turbo and GT3 in action... :grin:

Was the Turbo keeping up as comfortably as that video suggests. :?:

NB: I do appreciate that the GT3 was leading the way and therefore not able to take the best lines.

I think it is fair to say there was a little bit in reserve... :grin:

Taking point is always a tougher job as you aren't always sure what is around the next corner, especially on some of the narrower roads and tighter bends. In that sense following is a little bit easier as you can observe the position and stance of the car in front to judge whether you can make full use of the road and pick better lines. It may not have been obvious, but I was attempting to go deeper into the hairpins and get a tighter turn in order to capture some of Jackal's slippery exits on the camera :?:

Neither of us were ever close to 100% as we were still driving on public roads (we're daft, not stupid), though the turbo did an excellent job of trailing the GT3 through the sweeping and tighter bends and definitely had the upper hand on the exits thanks to the explosive thrust on tap :grin:

I'm confident Jackal will say that his ride was purer and all the more fun and rewarding for it, but there's no doubt we both had a fab time :grin: :grin: - not so sure the "beaver" would agree though :bandit:

I noticed you taking a different line into a lot of the tighter corners... and Jackal's tyres screeching on the exits. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back