Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 at OPC Bristol

Jeez Zingers, who would buy a Porsche over the phone sight unseen....Oh, I forgot..ME..! But my excuse was plague thinking had priority at the time I bought my 991. As for the number of owners, yeah it seems times have changed since easy indebtedness became available, and folk were not as tied into a car purchase as they may have been back in the dark ages..Thus multiple short term owners seems to be quite normal..?

Jonttt, Back near the time when I began to think the time was right to return to Porsche, I was a regular visitor to a Scottish dealership site drooling over an advert for a low miles blue 993, which looked to have a good history, though the asking price was double that which I valued it at and I wanted to spend at the time.... Little did I know I would in time end up spending a tad more than the 993`s asking price to buy my 991 a couple of years later, a time when when I came to accept the market is the market... :dont know:

There's a BIG risk buying an old car from a main dealer as sometimes 'Not all that glitters is gold'. Take JayEmm purchasing his 430 from Ferrari main dealer and as a chum recalled his attempt to buy a 993 from an OPC a few years back, "It had a hole in the scuttle big enough to make love to and they called it patina as repainting/repairing would take away its originality" :bandit:

There will always be buyers with loose folding to take a punt on a car with what they may regard as loose change. My chum does it all the time and overall wins. That said a Bentley purchase that he sent to Jack Barclay to 'fettle' came back with a list of issues describing the car as "She's very poorly, Sir". Then there was the occasion he bought an AM V8 in the 80s that came with the wrong gearbox. He wanted an automatic and mistakenly bought a manual :grin:

Robertb said:
This 4S has been for sale for ages, same money, similarly miles and an aerokit (not sure if that is a help or hindrance)
https://www.maundrells.co.uk/vehicl...ordshire-5e3e68dc-5605-4b91-afde-a8dbc396ac13

Interesting this stuck vs OPC car. My own (newbie tyre-kicker) take:

- C2S (v blinged C4S)
- black on black (vs black on grey)
- OPC credibility (vs Indie)
- FSH and provenance (v SH?)

Likely the OPC car ticked all the boxes for someone, in a fierce market (rightly or wrongly). The OPC buyer spurned this identical one too. Same money again..

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/porsche-sales/vehicle/993-carrera-4s/

Joking aside, the deal wasn't done until yesterday's handover. Hence preferring a degree of discretion.

I bought a 9 previous owner (2001) car. Still makes me feel rather vomitous but it was the best I could find in the spec/ at the price I wanted.

Might hurt resale but i'm never selling :).

BlueCat86 said:
I bought a 9 previous owner (2001) car. Still makes me feel rather vomitous but it was the best I could find in the spec/ at the price I wanted.

Might hurt resale but i'm never selling :).

It shuttled around London owners in the first three years - not unusual. I'm reassured by the FSH, MOTs and documented maintenance (including photos of chassis leg repair and windscreen). The condition and spec offset that for this buyer. And, I can only see the market going up. Famous last words....

Oh, and it wasn't bought unseen. For those benchmarking values, it came with all service stamps, file of receipts, tax discs etc. They gave it a 111-point OPC check over, full MOT (giving it those new pads & discs someone mentioned) and decent warranty cover. Dick Lovett Bristol was fantastic, having serviced her the last ten years. Their reputation carried some value for me. Yes, I paid TOP money for the spec I was searching for. Yes, my heart drove this deal. Yes, I'm privileged to be able to assume this significant risk.

Now to run her and realise the value she seems to represent for me.

jonttt said:
Its 4S money but from an OPC so priced about right IMHO...

......what a car :worship:

Congrats on the purchase, great car :thumb:

...ignore the naysayers, there are enough people out there who appreciate these cars for what they are and value them accordingly in todays market, not the market they remember :grin:

Enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling owning one of these cars brings......just a gorgeous piece of automotive history that can still be fully enjoyed today reminding us in an increasingly obvious way what modern sports cars are missing.............. :bandit:

jonttt said:
jonttt said:
Its 4S money but from an OPC so priced about right IMHO...

......what a car :worship:

Congrats on the purchase, great car :thumb:

...ignore the naysayers, there are enough people out there who appreciate these cars for what they are and value them accordingly in todays market, not the market they remember :grin:

Enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling owning one of these cars brings......just a gorgeous piece of automotive history that can still be fully enjoyed today reminding us in an increasingly obvious way what modern sports cars are missing.............. :bandit:

Ah, thanks! The comments were all helpful - especially the naysayers. those about value/risk rendered subjective by your last paragraph. 😅

Paulb33 said:
Oh, and it wasn't bought unseen. For those benchmarking values, it came with all service stamps, file of receipts, tax discs etc. They gave it a 111-point OPC check over, full MOT (giving it those new pads & discs someone mentioned) and decent warranty cover. Dick Lovett Bristol was fantastic, having serviced her the last ten years. Their reputation carried some value for me. Yes, I paid TOP money for the spec I was searching for. Yes, my heart drove this deal. Yes, I'm privileged to be able to assume this significant risk.

Now to run her and realise the value she seems to represent for me.

Congrats on the purchase, looks amazing and great spec! You will have so much fun with the car.

barty964rst said:
Congrats on the purchase, looks amazing and great spec! You will have so much fun with the car.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back