Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 Cayman has gone. 986 project starts

More from the 'easy win' range...

Attachments

• 123689ca_09c6_403a_93ca_f6f0112cb350_148.jpeg
    123689ca_09c6_403a_93ca_f6f0112cb350_148.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 3,650
As for the de-snork... hard to say as I've just put a hardtop on (big thanks to a member on here) but the car sounds so much better, get the impression the hardtop helps out big time.

Why the hard top in the summer months ..... bit pointless having a Boxster ....... :?: :dont know:

Morning Marty,

Don't be too quick to write off the battery. Especially if it's kept on a conditioner. I'll be buying one for mine for next year. I already have the Rennline mount.

Plenty of people use them with no issues. Rich (ELA) had one in his 996 CLR project and has just changed it for a different one, simply as it's lighter.
Maybe send him a message for info. I know he had had no problems with it when I spoke to him about them. :thumb:

PS Make sure your Ctek has a setting or is safe for your new battery. It's an AGM battery and putting a normal charge through them kills them early. It can even swell the plates inside and burst it.
I'm sure you'll know all that already but it's always worth mentioning. :wink:

This is what I have ready to go on mine.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Ba...ey-680-or-VPR-P6-Porsche/productinfo/EL30.37/

madalaa said:
Why the hard top in the summer months ..... bit pointless having a Boxster ....... :?: :dont know:

I bought an example of what is basically the cheapest Porsche you can buy... sadly they come with no roof, this can be fixed though.

Drove it with the roof down three times including when I had it as a courtesy car, I consider my quota filled.

:thumb:

Have seen those mounts, very nice indeed, where did you get yours?

I'm sticking with the batt, car gets used few times a month so having it on Ctek is no biggie.

Fear not, my Ctek works with this batt, did my homework!

Goodstuff Marty.

We've spoken anyway now but I thought I should reply on here.
That other mount you mention sounds good, especially if it's much cheaper. 👍🏻

It's 25 squids but the horizontal mounting will be a bit more ballache I'd imagine?!

For what its worth I ran x2 of that exact race bike batteries on a Z3m roadster I had in storage with no electrical point near by. The reason - so I could leave one on charge and easily swap over every now and again, they are much easier to handle. Worked a treat with no issues, in fact I still have them for emergencies ;-)

That is good to hear, cemented then. I'll order the mount today.

Whacked the new battery in, the mount from Demon Tweeks is all but useless. The negative cable is too short and won't allow the mount to go far to the right enough to sit in the correct position.

Even then, the base of the battery that stock equipment mounts to is thick whereas the mount is thin sheet aluminium.

I've turned the mounting bracket upside down so it squeezes onto the after market mount but it's not super solid. The tension on the negative cable is keeping the battery in place as much as the mount is.

Will have to see how it gets on in road tests, car started easily the first time I tried it mind. Sitting on the Ctek in motorcycle and AGM mode, did I read somewhere it's better to tell the conditioner that it's plugged to a bike?!

The stock batt weighs bang on 16kg so I've saved 9.5kg on the upside.

Cheers, Iain, the longer cable would definitely aid things. Might try that first if I can then at least get the mount snug up against the side of the battery tray.

Tried flipping the tray 180 degrees but the mounting holes are not symmetrical and it has a seal on its bottom.

When we start to modify things on these cars then we often have to fabricate items .

3mm ally plate , cut to size and you can soon make something that will lock the battery in place .

I'm afraid this sort of thing is normal when we move away from the standard items .

Not hard .. time consuming perhaps .

Bloody hell, not touched base in ages.... back to work Dad now so don't have bucket loads of time that I did when I was on Paternity Leave.

Updates...

- Bought a hardtop from a nice chap on here (Mazza), known to some of the regulars on here for meet ups North of London. The guy was an absolute gent, bought me the mounting bolts using his PCGB membership and didn't expect payment until I picked up the roof weeks later. So thanks to him! The hardtop is in solid black whereas my car is metallic but hey ho, for £400 located 50 miles from me, it was a no brainer. I need to get some decent pics, I think the car not only looks a lot better, it sounds a lot better when you're driving it too. Can hear the engine more nicely, that is for sure. Plan to rip out the softie permanently and to then maybe get the hardtop more lightweight by ripping some bits out, member on here called it 'single skinning'.

- I did the 'de-snork' too, annoyingly at the same time as the roof went on so can't tell what in-cabin noise gains came from what mod. Not sure it has affected torque or power but coupled with the roof, things definitely sound better.

- Had an absolute mare with the D911 GT3 Reps, when they arrived one had the bolster lining already torn away from the chassis of the seat. After much ballache with D911, ended up driving to Brentwood to swap it for another one. Only for the bolster lining to do the exact same thing after sitting in the car once. Long story short, I was recommended a trim guy from St Ives. I got into contact with him, he was an utter legend, did the job for a superb price and even refinished parts of both of the seats I didn't ask or pay for. The seats came back from him looking better than when they arrived! I even got D911 to pay for his work, so that was a result!

As for D911 and those seats, I was told there was a fire in the factory in China and I would have to wait a year to get replacements, and that was if they ever have any more of the seats again. Might go and have a look at their webby to see if they're still available.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back