Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 or 996?

:thumb:

Time will remember the air cooled cars with respect for their greatness and forgiveness of their failings, memories of what followed the 993 will fade, the air cooled cars will be known as the last 911's before the money men took over, and dare I say, in time, even referred to as 'pre VW' cars...

You will kick yourself for not buying one while you can. In twenty years time a sorted SC/3.2/64/993 that you CAN afford today, will be well out of reach if you can find a good one.

I believe this on S1 Elise's too, I sold mine for £4k more than I bought it two years previous. In 20 years I will be able to say 'I had one of them' and be looking at something with an E type price tag.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the obvious 993 middle ground here...
:?:

I can only assume the 993 hasn't been mentioned because it has neither the classic 911 styling of the 964, nor the modernity of the 996, it's a kind of bastardised halfway house.
Either that or it's just because the OP said the choice was between the 964 and 996 and nobody has questioned this.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I can only assume the 993 hasn't been mentioned because... ...it's a kind of bastardised halfway house.

Gotcha!
:thumb:

Thanks for all the advice, especially unclefish!!. 964 it is. When you've never bought a car like a porsche before, advice is essential. Many thanks to all

yorkyboy69 said:
Thanks for all the advice, especially unclefish!!. 964 it is. When you've never bought a car like a porsche before, advice is essential. Many thanks to all

I hope your handy with the spanners or have deep pockets :wink:

Good luck with whatever you buy and I hope the wife is still talking to you afterwards :lol:

MisterCorn said:
I can only assume the 993 hasn't been mentioned because... ...it's a kind of bastardised halfway house.

Or they cost more than both :dont know:

Don't forget, buy a 964 and you can't write "last of the aircooleds" on the AutoTrader ad :roll:

I love the 964 style.. i really do. I have stated before that the 964 turbo is one of my all time favourite cars and i think it is the quintessential 911 shape.

The interior tho... only a mother could love that! :eek:

When i bought the 996t I could not get a decent 964 turbo for love nor money but I'd also had more than enough of an "old" car for the foreseeable future (2 Lancias deltas for 13 years!!) but if those two factors had not been an issue I'd have got a 964 turbo if I was only ever going to drive it at the weekend and didn't mind tinkering.

Or a 996 turbo to drive when ever I opened the garage and to keep the dream crusher happy!

GT4 said:
Don't forget, buy a 964 and you can't write "last of the aircooleds" on the AutoTrader ad :roll:

But then... he won't want to sell it so that won't be a factor. :wink:

"Or a 996 turbo to drive when ever I opened the garage and to keep the dream crusher happy![/quote]"

Keeping the "dream crusher" happy is key. If she wants a 996 and you don't then be afraid.....be very afraid as they dont easily forget/forgive...esp if/when the ££bills start :lol:

yorkyboy69 said:
I know you guys will be biased but i would like a 964 and my wife wants a 996!

I can't see what the issue is. You buy a 964 for you and a 996 for the wife.

Sorted.

Nastymatt said:
GT4 said:

But then... he won't want to sell it so that won't be a factor. :wink:

Yes, that is obvious.

Particularly from the fact there are never any for sale.

PeterS said:
yorkyboy69 said:

Sorted.

With that sort of expenditure, you may as well just get a 993.

With that sort of expenditure, you may as well just get a 993.[/quote]

:floor: :floor: :floor:

GT4 said:
PeterS said:
yorkyboy69 said:

Sorted.

With that sort of expenditure, you may as well just get a 993.

but then you don't get the looks or performance!! :? ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back