Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Turbo S water damage

Not good service from West London techs failed to diagnose 2 issues an independent fixed in an hour. West London charged me for 4 hours for nothing

UPDATE:

So I had the car for less than 2 months.

The last words from Porsche WL regarding the issue plus some pics. The pics are hard to tell the water damage but apparently there was lots of it all over the electronics.

Here is what they said:
Our technician has spent a considerable amount of time carrying out water tests on your vehicle to try and ascertain how the water has got inside of your vehicle and all these tests have come back with no evidence of water leaking into your vehicle.

The visual inspection from the technician he can confirm that the park assist control unit, rear end electronics control unit and the amplifier have been damaged by water.

Really hope they accept a refund. I dont want to name the dealership but I hope they come good on this.

I hadn't realised it was predominantly the rear of the car, there are a lot of control units in the rear, including the DSC module although this is high up and not on the floor.

Have you got the Pan Roof?

I'm kinda struggling to see how they cant find the cause ..

To properly water check a car .. all carpets , seats removed .. spray water over the car until you see the water ingress .. its not rocket science !!

if you cheat .. if you don't remove the carpets and give it a good soaking then you will not find the leak .

I'm in total agreement with mark pearce .. there are a few grommets that can block and cause this issue .. it's not exactly a new phenomenon .

Some images below of one of the grommet type that can cause issues but not the side skirt removal ones .

This is a 981 as its all i have images of .. same system though .

Attachments

• p8020035_140.jpg
    p8020035_140.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 4,269
  • p8020033_107.jpg
    p8020033_107.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 4,269
  • p8020032_163.jpg
    p8020032_163.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 4,269
Small update: The Porsche dealership I bought the car from are not accepting what Porsche West London are saying, and they want to do their own inspection. I asked for a full refund as the car is basically a write off, but they are saying they need to check I did not drive into excessive water! They actually think I went into a puddle which could have caused this. Shocked at the minute and currently in no mans land.

Tiger911 said:
Small update: The Porsche dealership I bought the car from are not accepting what Porsche West London are saying, and they want to do their own inspection. I asked for a full refund as the car is basically a write off, but they are saying they need to check I did not drive into excessive water! ......

Again, read this

--> https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/le...3&utm_source=VigLinkInc&utm_medium=affiliates

At your stage in proceedings the law assumes that the fault was present when the car was sold unless the seller can prove otherwise. Short of them having video footage of you driving through a lake I think they'd have trouble doing so.

They have one chance to fix it to your satisfaction which I assume would mean them replacing all the damaged parts. If they aren't prepared to do that you can expect a refund. You may have to negotiate the actual amount.

Good Luck

As usual in all these type of situations the big company will try and 'bully' you into believing you are the one who caused this issue.
If you have AA membership check to see if they can offer you legal advice, hindsight is a great thing but foresight is even better. With the sums involved I would strongly advise involving a solicitor onto this ASAP.
Saying you drove through water is a load of Hee Haw and if the car is constantly having water ingress then this argument can be negated straight away, unless they want to assume you drive through huge volumes of water everyday.
It might also be worth considering dropping the car back into them and leaving it there, if your fortunate enough to have a second car then I would seriously consider this but what ever you do get legal advice.
Stay positive and most of all don't let them grind you down, the very last thing Porsche UK will want is an expensive court case.
Oh and record/document everything dates/times/people everything.

Thank you for the advise guys. The managers at the Porsche dealership I bought from are looking into this, I hope to get some sort of idea of where its heading tomorrow.

Tiger911 said:
Small update: The Porsche dealership I bought the car from are not accepting what Porsche West London are saying, and they want to do their own inspection. I asked for a full refund as the car is basically a write off, but they are saying they need to check I did not drive into excessive water! They actually think I went into a puddle which could have caused this. Shocked at the minute and currently in no mans land.

When i was working at an OPC about 6-7 years ago i had a 991 with a flooded out passenger side ( non cab ) .. it was a struggle to find the water leak but it was base grommets not draining out the water ..

I still remember saying to the forman .. with every Porsche so far we start from the top down when trying to find a leak issue ...

With these we have to start from the bottom up .

A correct water test .. carpets and panels inside are removed .. you then water test it .. 5 mins is not enough .. 20 mins min .. a slow water leak with poor drainage will slowly fill the side panels with water .. this to me is the issue here .

Car is not a write off though .. it has a water leak .. some control units under the passenger seat have got wet and must be replaced .. the wiring itself .. very rare that it cant be cleaned up on the connections and be perfectly fine ..

There are control units under the drivers seat but these will stop the car from running if wet.

Talking from many years of water leak experience here from Boxsters onwards .

In short .. fix the water leak and its fine .. up to you if you want to back the car .. i can only say what damage there will be and what the likely cause is .

EDIT ...

Ask them to explain how water got into the car from driving through a puddle .. i'm happy to pick holes in any explanation they can come up with .

deMort said:
Tiger911 said:

When i was working at an OPC about 6-7 years ago i had a 991 with a flooded out passenger side ( non cab ) .. it was a struggle to find the water leak but it was base grommets not draining out the water ..

I still remember saying to the forman .. with every Porsche so far we start from the top down when trying to find a leak issue ...

With these we have to start from the bottom up .

A correct water test .. carpets and panels inside are removed .. you then water test it .. 5 mins is not enough .. 20 mins min .. a slow water leak with poor drainage will slowly fill the side panels with water .. this to me is the issue here .

Car is not a write off though .. it has a water leak .. some control units under the passenger seat have got wet and must be replaced .. the wiring itself .. very rare that it cant be cleaned up on the connections and be perfectly fine ..

There are control units under the drivers seat but these will stop the car from running if wet.

Talking from many years of water leak experience here from Boxsters onwards .

In short .. fix the water leak and its fine .. up to you if you want to back the car .. i can only say what damage there will be and what the likely cause is .

EDIT ...

Ask them to explain how water got into the car from driving through a puddle .. i'm happy to pick holes in any explanation they can come up with .

Absolutely brilliant post mate thanks, will keep this place posted, good advice from everyone here. I am sure you're correct it sounds like the gold technicians are not like they once were.

Another update: Well after realising they can't accuse me of the issue, I got a call from the dealership saying the directors have analysed the situation. They want the car transported from West London to them (100 miles away) and confirm the car was not fit for purpose and go through the documentation with Porsche in Germany their AEG Insurance group to approve a potential refund. It could take about 10 days and in that time they will send me out a 992 while they get all that sorted.

Fair enough so far don't need to go down anymore aggregation for now. Happy for that until we get the bottom line back in my pocket. It just doesn't feel right getting the car fixed and taking it back after that within 6 weeks of having it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back