Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

5 year ownership update

I've had for 7 yrs and :

Coffin arms
Shocks
top mounts
Control arms
misc suspension bits
engine mounts
wheel refurb
couple oil seals
v belt
starter
battery
condensors
flywheel and clutch
2 sets of brakes for the front and one form the rear
2 sets of tyres
some small trim items
leather refurb
new front mats
new exhaust tips
3 front lips
IMS bearing, RMS
coil packs and plugs
repaint wing mirrors
SSK
Stereo

35000 miles covered.

I'm in for just over £4800 in for mostly parts and did my own labour except from the transmission off for clutch and IMS/RMS and a bloke to vacuum out and refill the AC... I think labour is about 30-40% of some of the above ???

No salt on the roads so all the pipes and hoses are still in good order... interesting

baldlemur said:
Thanks to SCS Porsche, Braunton Engineering and RPM Technik for carrying out all of the above works and Elite for the wheel refurb.

I did of course mean Exel wheels carried out the refurb. Great job and truly excellent service!

segart said:
Interesting post John. Just out of curiosity, has the real value of your car increased much over those 5 years do you think? When i sold my c4s after 4 years and 20k miles, i made a profit on the sale which equalled 80 per cent of my total running costs, minus fuel and Insurance. Mind you i think i was a bit lucky!
Rick

Rick - good question. I'd like to think the value has increased, but have no plans to sell, as I don't know what to replace it with for similar money. I paid slightly over £17000 knowing that it needed several of the usual issues attending to and you do see C4Ss advertised for low to mid and occasionally even high 20s. Mine is tiptronic, which may devalue it in the eyes of some. You did well with yours!

Having the skills and facilities / tools to do many of these jobs yourself can clearly yield big savings! The only jobs I've done are polish the headlights, clear out the various drain plugs, replace a couple of fuses and the cigar lighter and that's about it

£2K a year buys you a LOT of nice tools. Even a car lift is less than that!

Get the paragon book and get learning, guys!

I wish i had the space for a lift and tools... I'm aiming to do more of little jobs myself.

EGTE said:
£2K a year buys you a LOT of nice tools. Even a car lift is less than that!

Get the paragon book and get learning, guys!

It's a good point, but 2K (or even 5k) a year doesn't give me the time to do the work or the inclination to learn the skills.

I am in awe of people who can do mechanical stuff but also quite happy paying somebody else for their time and experience.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back