Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Tiptronic ATF Pipes?

Mike_993

Monza
Hi. I am after some advice please about my tiptronic 993.

Towards the top of the offside front wheel arch are two visible metal pipes going forward into the front corner behind the headlight area. I am trying to ascertain what they are. First I thought they were engine oil cooler pipes however I now believe they to be tiptronic gearbox atf fluid pipes going to an oil cooler. I didn't know, until this research that there was an atf cooler.

The reason this came about was that the pipes have some surface rust and my mot tester on Saturday put this down as an advisory but stated they were fuel pipes which I believe to be incorrect. I have asked they remove the advisory but they need to be sure of what the pipes are.

Keen also know if they are easy to replace.
Thanks in advance.

These are my ATF pipes and replacement was straightforward. The originals did not look too bad but once I started removing some of the 'surface" rust, I realised I was not going to be happy unless I replaced them as a lot of grinding was needed.
They are reasonably thick walled but a leak could be a disaster.

Attachments

• dscf1731_copy_794.jpg
    dscf1731_copy_794.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 718
  • atf_lines_712.jpg
    atf_lines_712.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 718
Hi
Thank you for the photo and parts list. I am costing this up and will most likely change them as routine maintenance and general upgrading. Did you replace all sections? it seems there are three pairs back to the box.

The two short hard lines (#10 & 13 in the PET diagram) that connect directly on the box were in excellent condition so not replaced.
Don't forget to put on your parts list the O- rings for the connection to the cooler.
It's a good time to flush the cooler and replace the filter, pan gasket and sight gauge.

Hi, thank you for your detailed advice. Need to check out the inboard pipes but they will probably need doing and false economy not to. The parts are pricey!!

I fitted the front parts as mine corroded under the clamps,
They can be wiggled in but best if you have access to a ramp as I needed a bit of space to feed them in from underneath.Helps to have two people.
Best to cling film/wrap the pipes as they need pulling past the brake servo.
I also bought a very small pipe bender as they were not exactly the same as the originals !! The OPC asked Germany and no one had complained before Maybe fitters are more forceful than I wanted to be ?

Thank you, so doable as a diy. Wasn't sure about what happens with the oil in the gearbox and cooler when you start disconnecting things. I have read its a good opportunity to drain and refill the gearbox.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back