Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 Audio Wiring diagrams wanted

Paynewright

Montreal
As per the title!

My car has a PCM2 with amp, CD changer and MOST fibre optic cable which I want to replace.

I'm looking to replace with a basic Continental single din unit with DAB and USB/AUX input (see my wanted advert for dash parts) and an amplifier to drive the dash, door and rear side speakers. I dont think I have a sub woofer (where would it be?).

My logic is I like to listen to music (radio/MP3) but like simplicity. My hearing isnt brilliant so dont need hifi quality. I dont like using the phone while driving. Happy to use a tomtom or phone for nav. I want a basic but functional device.

From what I have researched you can get cable convertors for the loom to new amp to connect the speakers but am unsure how the signals get from the head unit to amp (hard wired or fibre optic)? I 'think' these outputs need new wires to replace the FO link.

Any advice / links / gotchas / information welcome. Current dash below...

Thanks in advance

Ian

Attachments

• aa3e9c71_f0d5_43c1_83d6_53c37f0df40b_171.jpeg
    aa3e9c71_f0d5_43c1_83d6_53c37f0df40b_171.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,212
Hi
surprised no one has answered this yet.

The Bose sub is the rear parcel shelf if you have one, they're vented and you'll see little rectangular ports left and right if you have a coupe, cabs have a smaller sub in the passenger footwell.

Neither are particularly good. The Continental unit is well regarded. The cheapest way of doing is to bypass the MOST system and use a small (but better) 4 channel amp, something like the Pioneer GM-D1000 to power the door, dash and rear speaker.

I also looked this. I have the VDO/Continental unit in my Carrera 3.2 and it is excellent (radio, phone , streaming). In the 2003 996 however it is a bit more complicated (altho the 3.2 car had the optional amplifier pack).

There is this for the CDR22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgQ9ZY5ugU

And for the CDR23 there are very few threads as this system has MOST fibre optical connects and a power amp. I gave the idea away and added a BT unit to the original Becker set up for little money. That doesn't mean it can't be done on the CDR23 but it is perhaps beyond the home installer. As you say, bypassing the MOST unit and amp may be the only way.

http://986forum.com/forums/performa...al-tr7412ub-stereo-installation-review-3.html

double post

I'm afraid i just read the title and thought he needed the factory wiring diagram .. hence if needed i could send .

I'm sure the comments above have already answered the question .. i'm afraid me and aftermarket radios don't get along .. i always struggle with them ...

Let's not even go there with the latest " classic " radio system from Porsche for the 996 .. i've just had to rip out the only one i fitted and we are refunding the customer .. stuck with the unit now and cost us a fortune in parts and labour ... sigh .

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back