Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C2 Cooling fans (Again?)(

pfg49

I've suspected since I bought the car 6 years ago that the coolant fans don't work. I don't use the car much, and it's never been a problem, but I really must fix them.

Start the car up cold, press the snowflake, nothing. Relays 19-22 are the fan relays, so I put 12v down all 4 of the 87 terminals, only relay 20 worked, which I think is the right hand high speed fan. The tester showed a circuit on relay 19, so I think the right hand fan ballast resistor has failed. Relays 21 and 22 showed no circuit, so I am assuming that the left hand fan motor on that side has failed, and possibly the ballast resistor as well.

Now I'm no electrician, so have I got this right, and is my assumption that relays 19 and 20 are the left hand side fan relays?

Most likely you just need to sort the ballasts out. I did thecheap fix with the ones from RS and been fine since......9 years later.

I did the same as Alex...fitted a pair of RS Ballasts a few years ago and all good since :thumbs:

Alex said:
Most likely you just need to sort the ballasts out. I did thecheap fix with the ones from RS and been fine since......9 years later.

Aye, but putting 12v down the fast speed feed doesn't involve the ballast, it's direct to the motor, and the power probe showed no continuity either.

Am I correct in assuming that relays 21 and 22 are for the left hand fans? I'm a bit deaf, and I can't tell which fan is running.

I have bought 2 ballast resistors, but from Rapid Electronics, £10 cheaper than RS.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back