Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1984 911 rev counter

Markyc100

Hi all,

I have a 1984 911 targa which has been dry stored for the past 10 years.

I am looking to get her back on the road.

I have a problem with the rev counter, it goes right round the gauge when I turn the key even before starting the car.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks

Mark

Mark, I would check your voltage /alternator a fluctuating rev counter can sometimes be a sign the alternator is on its way out.

Hi Gaz,

The rev counter just goes right round to 7,000 rpm when you turn the ignition before starting the car. Even when the car is running it will just stay there until the ignition is turned off.

Could this still be an alttenator issue?

Thanks

Mark

Not sure Mark usually its an erratic rev counter rather than one sticking all the way round I would still check the alternator I would also ask on impactbumpers. Com and Ddk-online. com there might be someone local to you willing to swap one out to see if its the rev counter thats faulty

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back