Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1973 2.7 RS

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 11 January 2007
Philip,
you've had both 993 RS and 2.7RS, how would you compare them on a track? I know they're totally different but would be interesting to compare and contrast. Have you managed to drive the 2.7RS on trackdays? or is it just too rare and valuable to track?

I'm very lucky to have a GT3 Cup car for serious track work and would never 'seriously' track a 2.7RS - fun to tootle them round at 6/10ths though. I've owned two 993RS track cars and they're beautiful, well balanced, emotive machines - completely unlike the '3' - but nowhere near as competent or visceral as a '3' or '3 Cup'.

If you check out this month's Total 911 you'll see me throwing my yellow peril around Silverstone with the owner of the stunning 911R3 - it was a great joy to have Silverstone to ourselves for an hour with the camera car - we kept pulling back to give ourselves some space, then hooning the cars to catch him up - hence some of the amazing tracking shots in the article.

The 993 RS is a completely different animal BUT if you consider them both in their time period context (i.e.: 1973 and 1995 / 6) they are very similar - identical even.

In todays terms - the 993RS is infinitely more competent - much more low end power, much better balance - but I'm so in love with my 2.7RS I'm in the process of buying a replica (but well done, with a genuine RS engine) to track :D

I ended up doing 50 miles a year in my 993RS which wasn't really fair - so it's gone to a wonderful guy who adores it and uses her regularly - which is what she deserves. I'm out in my 2.7RS most weeks when the weather's good - she's tucked up from November until March or April at the very earliest.

The main thing is - they're both REAL Porsche :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108623

Dr Strange - More pics please! Any of the side profile?

Would be nice to see black decals on white.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108753

Philip - your cars always look stunning - have you fitted the spoiler and done the wheels on the 3 yet?

Jason

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109272

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by jg on 14 January 2007
Philip - your cars always look stunning - have you fitted the spoiler and done the wheels on the 3 yet?
Jason

Hi Jason - nice to see you on here - yet another '3' comes to 911UK :wink:

I've gone with plan 'B' - painted the spoiler body coloured - I REALLY, REALLY like it like this - so the wheels are staying stock - I'll post some pics in a day or so - too windy here to open the garage door!

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109314

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Elite on 15 January 2007
Philip have you still got your 959!?

Which one? The prototype Burgundy red - yes. The silver one went to a chap in Switzerland and the red one to an Italian guy.

I really love the prototype - it's such a special car, and it'a had a lot of love and care put into it to get back to good health - but I'm going to prepare her for sale in the next few weeks.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109325

Philip - out of interest how many porkers have you actually had over the years....and if you added all their values up what would they come to? You've certainly owned some very special cars....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109427

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by jg on 15 January 2007
Philip - out of interest how many porkers have you actually had over the years....and if you added all their values up what would they come to?
:eek:
That's the kind of question my wife always asks me! :D

Previous poster said:
You've certainly owned some very special cars....

Yes, but I've always kept the very best of them all - the one's I have sold - I've always been careful to know they went on to good homes.

Sometimes I've bought cars to 'rescue' them - like the 959 Prototype - she'd past through several people and never been restored properly - so I've now sorted her out and she goes like a dingbat!

But like I said, the best ones I've always kept :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109435

Bob - is there any news on this RS? I'd be very keen to have a discussion with the owners :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109436

Thats a politicians answer! Come on mate how many has it been - no need to be modest!!!! And has the love always been Porsche or do you dabble in other marque ownership?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109437

Phil, from your posts you seem to be a very modest man particularly when it comes to your car collection. However I would be fascinated to know what your current stable consists of.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109438

Previous poster said:
Thats a politicians answer! Come on mate how many has it been - no need to be modest!!!! And has the love always been Porsche or do you dabble in other marque ownership?

My mum taught me it was wrong to brag :oops:

I've no idea on how many - if you include daily drivers then it's beyond trying to count :eek:

I've always panicked when I've had *too* much money tied up in one car - it's just something to do with my childhood that I get worried - it's just me.

So, I've always walked away from having the *really* exotic.

My first love has always, and will always be Early Porsche - I've owned a few Fezzas, a couple of Astons - first was a big old beasty Vantage - completely mad car but bits kept dropping off it when you did a long run (I'm not kidding!) and then a Vanquish which was a bitter dissapointment - probably the worst car I've ever owned and certainly the car I've lost most money on :evil:

I do love Range Rovers and had (I think) something like eight Overfinch's of various kinds over the years - my favourite was a Landi Defender 90 '50th' edition with a 5.7ltr Chevvy in the front - that would surprise people on a dual carriageway most times :twisted:

But it's always been Porsche - I could never afford one and lost count the number of times Heddel & Deeks asked me to ***** off as I was hanging around the showroom too much! The very second I could - I bought my first 911 (had a 944 before but it's the 911 for me).

I've owned most 911's (I think?) - loved my beautiful 964 RS in maritime blue - should never have sold it :(
, I had several LHD 993 RS's and then three RHD's (including N7 RSR, Jez Gilmans old RS Clubsport) and then 996's from the first in 1998 - still love my GT3 to bits - one of the finest cars ever made.

Haven't bought a 997 - sorry, just don't see the point - the Turbo steering is poor in comparison to the 996 Turbo and you just don't need the extra grunt - the 997 GT3 would cost me £40k over my 996 GT3 - and is it REALLY £40,000 worth more? I don't think so. I'm spending the difference on a 1973 track car - more fun and it won't loose money like a 997!

I cancelled my order for a Carrera GT when Porsche changed the promised build from 300 to the revised 1,500 (told them they'd never sell that many - guess what they've 'stopped' at 1,300!!!). I knew it'd blow money very quickly - had looong conversations with people at Porsche Reading who insisted the Carrera GT's would go UP in value - I still stand by my prediction they'll be just under £200k when five years old - that's a LOT OF CASH to blow from £340k new! Think about it - it's a nice 996 every year in depreciation!!!

You can buy a CGT with around 1,000miles on for just about £210k - ignore the prices in the adverts!

My favourite of all of them? Difficult 'cos I choose just one - the baby, the one I polish and cherish and adore is my 2.0Ltr Sportomatic 1967 - she was Porsche's press car from new, one owner for 27 years afterwards, then to me for 10 years - only three owners and 28,000 from new 40 years on.

And then there's my RS - just cannot get enough of the buzz from driving it - it's the ultimate four wheeled crack cocaine - I'm in Asia for long periods of time and it's the one I get withdrawal symptoms from - I've been known to land at Heathrow at 9pm and get home around 2am - and go straight out for a drive in her - despite the jetlag :wink:

I'd love to own something like a 904 or a 550 - but they're just too precious and too valuable - I'm full of admiration for people like Paul Howells who uses his ST and 906 on the track - I just haven't got the bottle :D

I'd really love to own an original 6,000kms 2.7RS though..... Would look perfect next door to my Light Yellow RHD one :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109501

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 15 January 2007
Phil, from your posts you seem to be a very modest man particularly when it comes to your car collection. However I would be fascinated to know what your current stable consists of.

Hmmph - ok - in oldest first order:

1956 356 Carrera 4 cam (one of only five made in RHD)
1966 911 2.0ltr 'S'(the earliest surviving RHD, 40k from new)
1967 911 2.0ltr 'L' (28k miles from new prototype)
1973 911 2.7 Carrera RS Touring (RHD first #496, 50k from new)
1985 959 Prototype #7
2004 GT3 Clubsport
2005 GT3 Cup

Plus there are a couple in bits that I'll restore one day - Ronnie McCartney's 911S which he won the Round Britain Hysteric in 1997. I auctioned off my '52 356 resto case for Macmillan Cancer Care last year - will probably auction off the McCartney car for the same cause later this year.

Oh - and my 1972 Triumph Spitfire - my wife bought it for me when I had no money and needed to get to consulting jobs - from that we built a business and I've always respected it.

Daily hack is, for me BMW 535d Touring (had an M5, loved it, couldn't live with the 11mpg :eek:
and the wife a Disco LD3 (stunning piece of kit - definitely the best 4x4 on the road at the moment).

So there you go :oops:
Think I need therapy :eek:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109506

Cool posts Philip - a true enthusiast.

Hope you get the RS - you can look after it for me until I can afford to give it a good home! :wink:

See you on track soon mate.

Jason

PS We all need therapy!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109517

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back