Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Chassis legs/rails

madalaa

Fuji
Ok folks I know there have been a couple of threads on this subject and was most impressed with this job done by Precision Porsche ....... http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82225

I am presuming by the pics it was an engine out or engine drop job and I was wondering the price for such a job?

Also can any of you who have the work done post pics of your repair prior and after and the cost of your repair.

Thanks. :)

Engine stays put for this one. The corrosion is on the outside of the legs in the arches by the exhaust silencers.

Not pretty....

LHS

RHS

After:

Sam did the job at Impact/Precision. Wrong side of a grand ...think labour was 10 hours. Great job though and money well spent as hope will be keeping for the long term.....

My rails only had surface corrosion so that just needed cleaning up and they used dinitrol afterwards to provide some protection. The major costs were tin ware as I didn't have any heat shields left and labour. Some incidental work pushed the final bill wrong side of £2k.

The bill doesn't analyse labour and parts for just the rails. I don't have a CD drive so can't upload photos from the CD they gave me.

Madaala
Bank on about £800 to a grand for a proper job done.
You'll rest easier when the munching stops. :thumbs:

Thanks Bally ...... but I know mine is going to be far more than that ....... that's why I want as much info and pics as possible.

ballcock said:
Madaala
Bank on about £800 to a grand for a proper job done.
You'll rest easier when the munching stops. :thumbs:

Wow bodywork has got expensive, few years back both the chassis seals on my old ford rusted through, garage only charged me £50 to repair them both, great looking job
:)

Although 2 years down the line it turned out the garage had filled the holes with old newspaper and crisp bags and p38'ed over the top :x

After that I found a good welder and he charge £180 and fitted two brand new chassis cils

Hope you get your 993 sorted out ok :)

...... it all depends on if the engine has to be dropped and suspension removed ...... :(

madalaa said:
...... it all depends on if the engine has to be dropped and suspension removed ...... :(

Plus if there's a tube strike who'll have a few extra bags :thumb:

madalaa said:

No mate, you forgot that you will need a top end rebuild as well as a new clutch :wack:

Clutch replaced about a year before I bought it ....... but of course there is always the possibility of a weeping gasket seal ....... but fingers crossed ....... :(

Madalaa,
I would urge you to tackle the job yourself. On a skill range from 1-10, I would give it 3-4. It is simply a dismantling job with the only difficult part being cutting and welding if you are unlucky.
Mine had only surface rust so was easy to clean up. There are so many pictures of the process I could not improve upon them. It is however, a very very dirty job with many different types of screw/nut. I bunged them all in one box and spent most of the reassembly time trying to find out which screw went where. ( the guy in a previous post, who proposed a layout showing where they all went which I arrogantly ignored, was dead right).
The one thing you must have is TIME. It took me two weeks to do (I have retired) This is very time consuming and this is why it costs so much if you employ skilled Porsche engineers to carry it out.
It is very satisfying to do and you gain a lot of appreciation of how the car is engineered. I had one catastrophe - you have to remove the rear wheels and I gently rolled one away and turned back the car, when I heard a bang as it fell over on the patio. Once perfect wheel now has 5 scrapes, one on each wheel nut surround. Cannot remember precisely what I said at the time.
Perhaps thats what you pay a skilled Porsche engineer not to do!
Best of Luck

Haha Cols ........ there is not a chance in hell that I would tackle that job myself ........ me welding!! now that would be a recipe for disaster and a big conflagration ...... plus I don't even have a garage ....... no ....... I will be taking it to Precision Porsche at Haywards Heath hopefully within the next few weeks.

Still chuckling at the thought of me welding ....... :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrellS
Back