Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

coolant level

Poker2009

Suzuka
I last checked my coolant level about 6 months ago. It was below "minimum" level, so I topped up with 1 litre of coolant. This brought it up to "maximum"

Having done about 3000 miles, and six months on, it has dropped back down to the "minimum" level.

Is this normal, or do I have a small leak somewhere?

You will have a leak somewhere (coolant is not used up)

Check rads, reservoir tank, tank cap.

Look for salt deposits below rads and below tank.

Thanks GT4

The cap and the tank look really clean - can't see any build up.

The rads also look clean too, at least when peering through the bumper vents.

Any other idea?

Just a thought- if the rads had been replaced before you first checked your level (when it was on Min), you could have just purged some trapped air out of the system. No rad or pipe replacement prior to this, would indicate a leak somewhere.

Never changed the rads or any pipes, or even coolant.

Car is 8 years old and done just under 35k miles. So far has been rock solid!

Should the rads be giving up by now?

See GT4's earlier post. I guess 8 years is not bad for rads but as in the aforementioned post, check everything.

Happy hunting.

Would it use coolant following a major service? (including coil packs etc.)
Mine is using a little coolant too and Hartec said i should monitor that and the oil levels after picking it up. It's not using oil but I have had to top up the coolant level (very slightly) twice.

I will monitor for leaks and salt deposits (thanks GT4) to see if its leaking.

-AP

Just beware the "rads" you might be looking might be the a/c condensers.

That's because the a/c condensers are mounted in front of the rads.

Also check the pipe work under the car for damage or corrosion.

Ah right! I thought I was looking at the rads!

I think its just gone beyond my capacity!

Is there an easy way of having a look at the rads?

There are a couple of connections under the front of the car near the rads where the coolant routing changes from a metal pipe to a rubber hose on either side of the car. I have noticed that this joint can often deteriorate with age and the coolant starts weeping, leaving the type of tell tale deposits
that GT4 mentions.

I have observed this on mine, I haven't done anything with it as of yet and am currently monitoring it as the coolant drop seems to be negligible - so far...

You need to get under the car, or get the front wheel off and get your head in to see the pipework, good luck!

PU removal instructions (remove 997 front bumper):

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album430

http://www.gettydesign.com/frp/997/Bumper.pdf

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60011

General overview (996) and video of what you might find in there:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=51912

bumperoff.jpg

Thnaks for all the info guys - as it is a slow leak, I am just going to keep an eye on it, and have it looked next time my car is in for any work.

I'll never manage to get the bumper off, without breaking it!!! I know my limits..

Just be aware any leak from a supposed sealed pressurised system will lead to lower cooling efficincy, higher temperatures and in the extreme, localised boiling leading to bore scoring.

Also, most small leaks (if in the rad matrices due to corrosion) are indicators of a larger breach about to happen.

Don't let it happen:

1) you won't get to where you were going on the day it goes (it can drain the system in as quick as minutes once it gives, perhaps you'll get 20 if you are lucky)
2) you can cook the engine if you don't stop the engine within seconds of full loss.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back