Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What model 911 should I buy?

Paris1000

OK, I'm sure this question has been asked a 1000 times before and I'm sure that it will create a torrent of diametrically opposed opinions but I'm looking for some advice. What model 911 should I get?

Let's narrow it down. I'm thinking 993, 996 or 997, nothing earlier, budget is sub £40k. I prefer the turbo bodied, normally aspirated, S, variants and am tempted by a 993 C4S or C2S, thinking that any depreciation will be negligible. However, these seem so expensive compared to a 996 C4S.

Are the 993 prices artificially inflated or will they really hold their value? I was offered a 993 C4S for £40K the other day (from a dealer) at that price I could get a 996 C4S, or even a high mileage 997 S. I've seen a couple of 997S's with very high miles, but full OPC service history, from dealers at the same £40k price.

If I spent £40k on a 996 C4S would I lose that much over 2 or 3 years?

Would a £40k 993 C4S still be worth £40k in 2 or 3 years?

Would a 6 year old 997 S with 100k plus miles be sellable in 2 or 3 years?

I await your responses and advice with interest.

Standard 997's will continue to drop in price, generally the 993 / 996 rarer models are those which have lost a lot of value since new and are now holding up well. Some will depreciate quite slowly, others you might be lucky and they will even go up.

I am sure you will get those with 993's having their say, the same with those with 996's and telling you GT3, Turbo etc.... drive a few and then decide what you like and weigh up the depreciation then.

If you get a standard model and it's not just for work you will inevitably want to change it soon after.

I sold my 993 C2s in 2003 for £36k. This morning I bought the same model, same year, same mileage and paid £34k. There aren't many Porsches - let alone other marques that you could say that about. If it's depreciation you're worried about i'd say not much to beat a good 993. If there are other factors involved (which i['m sure there are) others on here will have an opinion....

Hi,

A 911 purchase ought to be about your indivdual wants. If you want the classic air cooled 993 then go for it. These cars attract a higher price due to the lower volume production numbers and the air cooled seminal Porsche fundamental.

A 996 is in my opinion a more modern 911 over the 993 as is the 997 over the 996. Ie updated suspension and interior etc.

Trying to guess the market and how a car will appreciate or depreciate is impossible.

Drive the model variants you have stated and see which one you get on with. I went into 911 ownership with my eyes open, there will be depreciation but that is life. I am just enjoying my car and the whole Porsche camaraderie.

Enjoy the search.

Cheers Alan

03 C4S friend offered 10k less at same garage after 15 months for PX :eek: offer of £38K only 47k miles.

yep,

The 996 C4S has taken a hammering over the last 15 months :(

Good time to buy.

Alan

You won't get a 997 for 40K and any 911 will lose money if you put 50K miles on them in 5 years. Keep a 993 and don't dirve it much then you won't lose much - but where is the fun in that!

996 C4S would be my choice with a £40K budget. Great car.

Pre 89 models are going up a bit as well now .

SEE YA

So Poo said:
You won't get a 997 for 40K and any 911 will lose money if you put 50K miles on them in 5 years. Keep a 993 and don't dirve it much then you won't lose much - but where is the fun in that!

996 C4S would be my choice with a £40K budget. Great car.

Too true.

Also, a Turbo is a great car for £40K

Not sure that 993, 996 or 997 narrows it down too much.

You could get into either range with your budget (albeit at v high mileage on 997) therefore you should take other aspects into consideration like which car do you like?

I would personally be tempted with a clean low mileage 996 C4S than a silly mileage 997 or consider an early 996 Turbo

The 993 and 996 are too different to compare them with each other as an ownership either/or proposition.

Drive both. See which you prefer: either the old fashioned 993 style/layout/feel, or the newer 996 style/layout/feel.

993s are 10+ years older, so they will naturally be further along the depreciation curve. If you choose between such different cars based on economics, the 993 will probably win. The 996C4S is not far behind economically, but it is a leap forward in terms of dynamics and usability.

996 C4S

I have just bought a 996 C4S and generally I am very pleased with it, I have got the 'squeaky' screen problem though :cry:

I moved over from an Impreza STI with lots of mods on it (348 bhp) however, I wanted a more grown up car, and I think the C4S is a far better all round package, I notice people move over for the Porsche and accept its 'status' with the Scooby other drivers were not so 'accepting' :!:

Nice purchase Paul, squeaky screen is still an issue on Waynes C4S even after a removal and refit.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quartzpro
Back