Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can I start my car with a trickle charger connected?

umirza85

Monza
My battery is very dead again so I've bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep it charging. My first run will be through the recondition mode, but I'm wondering if after its completed that and is just on regular charging mode if its ok to start the car while its still attached to the charger (and subsequently to mains power)?

Pretty sure that's a no.

You could start a fire/blow ECU, who knows? Have you read the manual for the CTEK; I bet it's not recommended.

Just wait a few hours and see what the MTEC can do, disconnect then start normally.

Just unplugging the charger is enough; no need to disconnect from battery/lighter socket/whatever.

If your battery is very dead you most likely need a new battery. They don't like going flat.

MC

Why would you want to do that? If you wanted to start up and drive off you'd have to disconnect it anyway...

I have the comfort connect cable, makes connecting/disconnecting much easier!

umirza85 said:
My battery is very dead again so I've bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep it charging. My first run will be through the recondition mode, but I'm wondering if after its completed that and is just on regular charging mode if its ok to start the car while its still attached to the charger (and subsequently to mains power)?

Why?

Presumably you won't be driving off with it attached? :?:

If and when the battery is charged, your dash voltmeter will tell you or ideally the CTEK lamp will be green.

But as MC said, it could be dead dead!

Shaoxter said:
Why would you want to do that? If you wanted to start up and drive off you'd have to disconnect it anyway...

I have the comfort connect cable, makes connecting/disconnecting much easier!

Indeed. I once reversed out of my garage and had a good drive, with the charger cable dangling out of the bonnet of my 993. Only realized when I got home and saw the frayed end left... :damn:

GT4 said:
umirza85 said:

Why?

Presumably you won't be driving off with it attached? :?:

If and when the battery is charged, your dash voltmeter will tell you or ideally the CTEK lamp will be green.

But as MC said, it could be dead dead!

Thanks for all the responses. I was more just wanting to start it to make sure the charger properly charged up the battery but i suppose its not hard to disconnect it.

What about even having the ignition turned on while connecting the ctek for the first time? I notice my alarm goes crazy when i try unlock it after the battery has died.

I've started mine a number of times with the trickle connected. It was fine. YMMV

Robertb said:
I've started mine a number of times with the trickle connected. It was fine. YMMV

Thanks.

also...thats an expensive YMMV :D

Well i have another issue now anyways....cant get into the trunk LOL. Just called roadside assistance to give me a boost.

Are you asking if when you have the car on your ctek in a garage if you can start the car with the charger connected when you have no intention of moving the car?

If so I cant give you the official line, but I have done it several times with no ill effect, although if I do intend starting it I try and remember to switch the ctek off!

umirza85 said:
Robertb said:

Thanks.

also...thats an expensive YMMV :D

Quite. It's wise to add a YMMV when ECUs etc are involved!

crash7 said:
Are you asking if when you have the car on your ctek in a garage if you can start the car with the charger connected when you have no intention of moving the car?

If so I cant give you the official line, but I have done it several times with no ill effect, although if I do intend starting it I try and remember to switch the ctek off!

Yes in short thats what I was saying. My battery had died and its the first time I've used one of these so just wanted to confirm that it did its job.

Thanks though. I suppose it is easy enough to turn it off.

umirza85 said:
Yes in short thats what I was saying. My battery had died and its the first time I've used one of these so just wanted to confirm that it did its job.
Isn't that what the 7 or 8 lights on the charger are for?
RTFM!!! :D

Shaoxter said:
umirza85 said:
Isn't that what the 7 or 8 lights on the charger are for?
RTFM!!! :D

Call me crazy but I'd like to confirm it starts vs finding out in the AM as I'm attempting to leave for work.

I wouldn't start the car with the conditioner plugged in, I had one from another manufacturer - who explicitly stated in there manual that you shouldn't.

....I forgot and it was toast!

I now have a ctek and while it doesn't state you can or can't, I'd always disconnect before starting the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrellS
Back