Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Running-in period.

Quickstop

Picking up a new Carrera S next week.

Does anyone know what the recommended running in period is for the new turbo engines>?

Cheers !

IMG_4799.PNG

I wonder how many new 911s are run at sub-4200 rpm for their first 2k miles. :?:

Asked the Service Manager exactly the same question when I first picked up my current car. He said no rules for running-in, as long as oil up to temperature. So drove it like I stole it from Day 1. :lol:

Oil consumption only 0.5 litres over 11K miles, so guess it worked. :)

Good luck with your new car.

It's a shame Dr.-Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG went to the trouble of considering, defining, composing, printing and distributing with every one of their products, advice to the contrary.

One can't imagine why a Service Manager would encourage additional warranty works :bandit:

GT4 said:
It's a shame Dr.-Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG went to the trouble of considering, defining, composing, printing and distributing with every one of their products advice to contrary.

On the upside, at least you didn't ask a salesman!

Reminds me of a conversation a few Porschephiles had in Kent 2 weeks ago regarding when the damage to a large % of M96/M97 engines may have actually occurred.

I wonder what the mags and internet forums will be discussing about 991s in 2025. :?:

In my day to day life, I see more examples of common sense than I do mechanical sympathy.

But then we live in a throw-away world.

Great stuff guys thanks. I guess its really all about what you intend to so with these cars. are they going to be a keepers or not?

Interesting comments here from a sales manager from Shmee's post when he picks up his GT4 which has the normally aspirated 3.8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9m885sBaQ

time index 2:45

Although interestingly, later in the vid Shmee does say hes going to take it easy with the car.. guess he didn't entirely trust the advice.

Will be sure to have fun on the first drive no matter what.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure about race teams with cars but superbike race teams run new bikes in on a dyno. It takes a couple of hours. They'll get it up to temp then start giving it the full beans. It's widely accepted an engine run in on the dyno will produce more power than an engine run in as per manufactures guidelines. However, it may do a billion miles before requiring a rebuild.

And I thought that 'running in' a new car stopped in the 70's..... Or a while ago anyway. :dont know:

I've never had a new Porsche so haven't had this problem to solve myself.

However I have some sympathy for the the approach outlined here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm which talks about running an engine hard for the best ring seal and hence power output.

Of course it's critical to warm the engine up properly first. And that article advocates to "alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration." I suggest the reason that mainstream manufacturers don't recommend this is that if you don't do both of these things then you could end up with engine damage or premature wear and the "man on the clapham omnibus" is unlikely to care enough to do this carefully - thus the "gently run it in" approach is statistically likely to be the safest and will be good enough for large numbers of people (and so keep warranty claims down)

I practiced what I preached when I built my Caterham 7 and ran it hard (warmed up) from day 1, but would I do it with a 90k Porsche? Hmm, I can't say....

Cheers
Mark

T8 said:
I wonder how many new 911s are run at sub-4200 rpm for their first 2k miles. :?:

I wonder how many new 911s are run at sub-4200 rpm for their first 2 minutes? :grin:

alex yates said:
T8 said:

I wonder how many new 911s are run at sub-4200 rpm for their first 2 minutes? :grin:

Never owned a new Porsche but I've had a few new superbikes. I've always observed the running in period for about 35 seconds. That's roughly how long it takes to get out of earshot from the dealers..... :grin:

Quickstop said:
Great stuff guys thanks. I guess its really all about what you intend to so with these cars. are they going to be a keepers or not.

A throw away world.

That's sad just for the environmental waste, but made worse when it is a beautiful Porsche.

I know I don't use mine, but I do sleep easy knowing I don't abuse it.

I see them more as a Patek Philippe than a BigMac box :dont know:

I know these things get "recycled" through the trade, by I'd rather buy from a like minded person, even if in the end it obviously wasn't a "keeper".

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrellS
Back