Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen

Upon recommendation, I used Paul Ralhan from Glasstec a couple of years ago. He's used to fitting 911 and high-end marque windscreens and can highly recommend him. He may have a source or supply of genuine screens.

07974 216953

emmbee said:
Thanks for the help, a none oem part might be the answer.

Regarding the crows , we live on a farm in rural cheshire and the young male crows attack anything that they can see their reflection in - windows and cars being their favourite.

Like an idiot I left my car ( nicely cleaned and polished , so very shiny) ungaraged when I went away for a week - on my return the car was covered in small but deep scratches.

To be fair to my insurers, the inspector took one look and immediately sanctioned a full respray, which will be great once I get it out of the body shop !

Being in Cheshire, you must attend our monthly catch up next week.

Phil 997 said:
Urban Ranger said:
alastairb said:
Urban Ranger said:
My Autoglass replacement from two weeks ago. They are returning this Saturday to attempt it once again, with a Porsche OEM windscreen. Just my recent experience but one to be be mindful of.

Thats interesting, I had autoglass 2 weeks ago and my screen is also slightly proud of the rubber surround. Not quite as bad as your pic though.
Did it get worse or was it like that when they left the car?

That's how it was left 'on completion" the fitter with 10 years experience was immediately fuming as it will not fit he kept saying.

Luckily it's the third car so not used all the time. Is now unusable at motorway speeds as the wind noise is horrific. Driving with the stereo at full blast isn't always possible. Let's see what tomorrow brings and employing Phils strategy will be adopted.

Good luck emmbee and let us all know how you get on.

UR I would be fuming and telling the glass company that as in my last post ,the glass is designed as an integral part of the safety structure of a 911 and that they have put you and your passangers at risk with that poor fitting, its tantamount to leaving the wheel nuts loose at a tyre change. And unless you get an experienced 911 glass fitter to visit you will be taking this serious safety issue right to the top of the glass company and if used your Insurance company If they dont cal you back in a given time with what you want tell them you will insist on speaking to regional manager/director about the local depot putting you and your family in danger . you know the old " he who shouts loudest etc etc" .

Well job done and the difference in fitter was night and day. He'd hardly stepped on the drive and I asked him had he fitted 911 glass before. Think it took him aback a bit as he said yes lots.

Car seat protectors and wing protection used. Not with the first guy. Don't get me wrong, the first guy was pleasant enough but it was just the set up from the beginning that set the tone for me. Glass fitted and so far a great looking job, rubbers flush, glass flat into them, no raised lip, level with the rubber surround.

Motorway test in the morning and final decision as how to escalate it taken from there. Well aware of the strengthening elements with windscreens and even more so with floppy convertibles.

So if this serves as useful help for others on the forum, one experience makes a lesson for all.

Great to hear UR , clearly this was a proper fitter this time and I am guessing your original complaint had prompted them to send an experienced guy this time so some credit to them for getting it right second attempt without you having to get the big guns out. now why cant British companies just do it right first time, we are all decent guys and if an agent says we cant fit until X day as we want to use our best guy as we know 911 glass is difficult to fit but hes tied up until X 99% of us would say yes thanks thats fine , If its broken mid trip and cant be driven thats a different matter and you just have to ask if they can proritise you with the fitter. and anyone who cant wait but could wait and gets stroppy with the agent well you get the first bloke that UR got Mr Nice but dim :grin: :grin: but the key for these companies is good communication and explanation but its just so lacking over here.

Urban Ranger said:
My Autoglass replacement from two weeks ago. They are returning this Saturday to attempt it once again, with a Porsche OEM windscreen. Just my recent experience but one to be be mindful of.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me! Mine looks exactly the same and was fitted by Autoglass. I posted about it this evening. Are you sure that this is a problem with the type of windscreen and not the way it was fitted?

drabux said:
Urban Ranger said:

Exactly the same thing has happened to me! Mine looks exactly the same and was fitted by Autoglass. I posted about it this evening. Are you sure that this is a problem with the type of windscreen and not the way it was fitted?

100% poor fitting from an inexperienced on 911 glass fitter nothing to do with the glass :nooo:

All I can say is both fitters said it was the glass, saying it was warped. As you can see mine was the same corner as yours that was raised. I've yet to test mine at mway speeds to see if the seal is correct.

Gents have a look at the other glass thread running.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=128704

Monsters post explains clearly the issue and why fitting 911 glass is really a two person job :thumb: :thumb:

Phil, rather than 2 people, I think what is really needed - and maybe those who take the car into thier workshops do this, is a jig or some sort of clamping system that presses and holds the glass in situ whilst the bonding agent cures.

The top corners of the screen actually need flexing inwards and held still in that position until the bonding process has cured - which may be a few hours...

I would love to hear how Glasstec manage this as I have heard Paul is the man to go to for this, it may be his trade secret though 😀

Phil 997 said:
Those fitting pics are down to enexperienced fitters not the glass , I told the guys doing my glass on Insurance that I would send away anyone who had not fitted 911 glass before and would continue to do so until they sent someone who had , and I didnt care how far afield they had to come from. they sent their training manager down from London with the glass and he was very used to fitting 911 glass . I would also mention that its reccomended to have two guys fit 911 glass as it needs to be held in place securely . so one fitter who's not experienced fitting 911 glass and you have no chance of a decent fit. :thumb:

I like your style Phil, this is exactly what I have told my OPC , trying to ascertain who will replace the screen on my GT4....
I want to know exactly who/what company they use to replace screens before I place my car there...
Good point on the procedure , must add that for clarification ....
Cheers.
Terry

monster said:
Phil, rather than 2 people, I think what is really needed - and maybe those who take the car into thier workshops do this, is a jig or some sort of clamping system that presses and holds the glass in situ whilst the bonding agent cures.

The top corners of the screen actually need flexing inwards and held still in that position until the bonding process has cured - which may be a few hours...

I would love to hear how Glasstec manage this as I have heard Paul is the man to go to for this, it may be his trade secret though 😀

Tim, I agree a jig would be best failing that a second guy holding it down for several hours seems a reasonable request to me :grin: :grin: these places must have some kind of clamp set up I cant imagine its only 911 glass that had this type of design. :thumb:

911TEL said:
Phil 997 said:
Those fitting pics are down to enexperienced fitters not the glass , I told the guys doing my glass on Insurance that I would send away anyone who had not fitted 911 glass before and would continue to do so until they sent someone who had , and I didnt care how far afield they had to come from. they sent their training manager down from London with the glass and he was very used to fitting 911 glass . I would also mention that its reccomended to have two guys fit 911 glass as it needs to be held in place securely . so one fitter who's not experienced fitting 911 glass and you have no chance of a decent fit. :thumb:

I like your style Phil, this is exactly what I have told my OPC , trying to ascertain who will replace the screen on my GT4....
I want to know exactly who/what company they use to replace screens before I place my car there...
Good point on the procedure , must add that for clarification ....
Cheers.
Terry

Keep us posted on progress Terry :thumb:

Autoglass just visited to replace the poorly fitted windscreen and he said that he is sure it is the glass (he would say that, I guess). He has ordered original glass and will be fitting it in 10 days. That's 28 days to get a screen fitted!

I'll report back on the success or otherwise.

drabux said:
Autoglass just visited to replace the poorly fitted windscreen and he said that he is sure it is the glass (he would say that, I guess). He has ordered original glass and will be fitting it in 10 days. That's 28 days to get a screen fitted!

I'll report back on the success or otherwise.

I believe OEM screen is at least half the battle.......

Thereafter it's along the lines of Phils advice ..ensure you get fitters that are experienced ....my thoughts are that if done via OPC then there must be a comeback if not fitted properly ...I would just park my car and not pick it up until it was done correctly ....

I'm out of UK at present but as soon as I can work a date , I'll drop mine to OPC for their scope to be carried out ....

Report hereafter on the progress.....

T

Hi

I have the same problem, have a 5 inch crack down the middle right of the screen, in drivers eye line. Seemed to start during the sun (although chip at top of crack).

It is a dilemma for ones pride and joy.
1) OPC Solihull want £600 glass plus £510 fitting, although would get 10%PCGB discount
2) Aviva Insurance will may a max of £185-£75, net £110 if I choose to pick my own supplier
3) Aviva Insurance will allow me to choose Autoglass and pay only a £75 excess

So I rang Autoglass on Satuirday and quoted the 2 cases on this forum of last few weeks where basically Autoglass had
1) fitted NON OEM glass badly
2) returned and fitted OEM glass, again badly
3) sent a experienced master fitter and correctly fitted the OEM glass.

I suggested to the chap on the phone that this was my pride and joy and I was not in a rush, but maybe it would be good if Autoglass could fit OEM glass and simply send an experienced 911 team of master installers to start with. Why not try and do it right first time?

The chap (Tim) agreed with me and wrote all of this as notes and agreed to request from Aviva that they start the process with OEM glass.

I await an updated email, once Aviva have approved this and then the dreaded wait while the OEM glass is obtained.

Anyway all sounds good so far, but it is only words, so await the next stage

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back