Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window Regulator replacement

hobbes1303

Hi All,

I have just replaced the drivers window regulator on my 996.2 c2. I've watched a number of youtube video's and read up on some of the tips on line here and elsewhere but stuck on a couple of points...

It all goes up and down very well but I have two issues.....1) at fully open or closed the motor is still clicking......how do i fix this? 2) i understand I have to hold the window button in the closed position when window closed for 4 to 10 seconds (depends on where you read) that "re-learns" the respective fully open and closed positions. What configuration does the car have to be in to do this, door open or closed, ignition on or off etc?

I'm struggling with minor adjustment, I sharpie'd around the brackets as I thought this was easier than tape but tape would have been better.... any tips
would be gratefully received.

I've just noticed when locking the car that the horn beeps - is this a consequence of disconnecting the battery for removing the airbag?

Talking of airbags, now the air bag light is on how is best to clear this code?

At this stage you may have well got this sorted, but I've just completed my 996.2 c2 driver's door regulator today.

I'd tape marked on the glass before removal, but it seemed the new (non-OEM) regulator had different sized brackets, so I was nowhere near close on first tightening.

After much unsuccessful tweaking from inside the door I ended up only moderately tightening the brackets and putting the window fully up, closed the door and then pushed the glass with my palms from the outside until it was in the correct position. I was then able to tighten the brackets through the holes at the top inside of the door.

Re the travel limits I had the ignition on, put window fully down, then fully up, hold for 10secs and release. I did the passenger door with engine running as I'd forgotten at the time.

Sorry, can't help with the clicking and I made sure to unplug/replug the airbag with the battery disconnected to avoid the airbag error.

Dave

I have just done mine today, I did buy the replacement from Porsche, but even so you have to remember to remove the plastic stop which is screwed in place as a bump stop, there are two and the top which I removed is there if you are fitting to a Boxster.

This maybe why you are not able to set properly and are hearing a clicking noise.

You might also want to check your fuel gauge as this may have to be reset too along with your airbag light.

Thank you both for the comments. I had another attempt this weekend and the metallic clicking at the fully open or closed position remains although I did get the window to seat better.

But I'm admitting defeat, its time to get someone smarter than me to look at it. I'm now having issues with the window opening properly with the door closed, but when open it works ok (still the clicking at fully open or closed). its seems to me minor adjustment but i'm fed up with taking all apart and fiddling around with it.

As for the clicking, i wonder if the motor spline has stripped the plastic gear it slots into with all the messing about i've done...?

Single Horn beep when locking is the car telling you something has been left open or something os faulty and saying open when its not ..

Center cubby lid is a classic one .. make sure its closed ..

Strange that this has happened since window reg replacement .. you haven't left the switch for inner or outer handles unplugged at all ?

Window reg should at no times click .. that is movement in something .. was this a cheapish window reg or a porsche one ?

The very cheap regs are not very good to be honest .

I take it you have already set the window positions but if not ..

Close the window , release then hold it closed for 5 seconds to set the position .. if it clicks during this then something is definitely wrong .

Thanks for your replies everyone

I've not yet taken the car in due to time, had another attempt tonight. The part was given to me when I purchased the vehicle but it looks after market.

The clicking is driving me to distraction. When the window is fully open or fully closed it's like the motor is still running, almost like I have stripped the gear in the window regulator!!! As for the adjustment, I concede I did not use tape to mark the original settings but used a sharpie. Bad mistake. Even so, the window doesnt seems to move freely, it stoped and the motor (or regulator) starts clicking

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back