Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What''s the most fun auto/DCT you''ve driven?

Roro

Sebring
The daily went in for some warranty work, and BMW gave me a Cooper S hatch for a few days. I reckon it's the first time I've ever properly enjoyed an auto. I've driven millions of the things previously, but this is the first time I drove one and thought you know what, I wouldn't mind owning this as a weekend fun car to thrash about in. What I enjoyed most was revving it out and up/downshifting 'manually' at normal speeds. As it was a BMW/Mini the ride quality was as appalling as I would have expected, but other than that I was pleasantly surprised.

They definitely do have their place. Nice to have a manual too though.

I used to enjoy the old SMG actually in an E46 M3. You could reprogram the gearbox software to the CSL map and get more aggressive changes and a half way house traction control. Started to enjoy it when I'd learnt left foot braking.

Also had a CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake, which had a comical launch control, and quite aggressive upshifts. Fun, but got bored of the car in general fairly quickly.

It's a good question, and I'd agree that the auto in the F56 MINI JCW is pretty good, even if the car is undertyred (an unusual choice in my view, a little bit like the Michelin Primacy tyres on the 1st gen GT86/BRZ).

The 8-speed ZF in lowlier BMWs is OK but I never bother with the paddles, as I tend to get lost sometimes.

My wife has a mk7 GTI with the DSG box and that works quite well, except for the embarrassing DSG farts, as it's quick enough to match the revs which spin up very quickly to the red line when you're 'on it' (as they say).

I don't have much time for the full on auto slush boxes on American cars, they always feel awful (and worse in manual mode) and what should ostensibly be a 300hp car always feels like it has about 200 rather skinny hrsprs.

And then we have the PDKs, which are far better.

The absolute worst gearbox in the history of automobiles was the Austin Metro automatic that I misguidedly rented from some rent-a-sh!tbox in South London many years ago which merely made different and terrible noises, but had little to do with any actual forward progress. I would have walked but I had to drive on the A3.

I can see a DSG GTi being fun, an E46 M3 too. I think the problem is though that once you're around 200bhp+ you start getting into silly speeds to have fun, which isn't good on roads. I'm finding dual clutch autos are only fun when revved out and changing gear near the redline. Otherwise they just feel a bit humdrum. This thread is all to do with fun factor by the way. My daily has a slush box and I wouldn't dream of thrashing it as it's just not that kind of motor. I'm curious to see what an Alpine is like to drive. I could never own one though, not German enough.

PDK 991 onwards
DSG MK 7 onwards

The 8 speed auto in my now departed f21 m135i was the best I've driven for all rounded ness. Same box ( I think) in the newer 135i is by all accounts less good and snatchy from standstill...

I also loved the dct in my old e92 m3, bloody wonderful and suited the engine so well.

On that point I don't think you can champion one transmission type over another. It all about the combination effect of engine box and chassis in harmony.

Can you even contemplate an 8 speed ZF auto hooked up to a GT3 Mezger :floor: as good as each of them are in isolation.

Senoj, in your BMW travels, have you ever come across anything around switching the +/- controls the other way on the gear shifter?

Currently it's pull back to change up and push to change down,which to me is the wrong way around. It should be like DSG / PDK, push for up and pull for down

I've searched online but can't seem to find anything. Looks like everyone just uses the paddles but I prefer using the lever

PDK is not the same across all the cars. This is a GT3. The GT3 is regarded as the 'normal' direction.

Haven't seen anyone mention changing it on a BMW.

Attachments

• 5732b70a_14bb_4342_95f1_b3a0780d64d4_130.jpeg
    5732b70a_14bb_4342_95f1_b3a0780d64d4_130.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 5732b70a_14bb_4342_95f1_b3a0780d64d4_130.jpeg
    5732b70a_14bb_4342_95f1_b3a0780d64d4_130.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,285
I had both manual VW Golf GTI Clubsport S (300bhp) and VW Golf GTI PP (230bhp) with DSG. I sold the manual halo GTI and kept the DSG its so good. They're nuts cross country and great fun if you like fast hatches. Moves around underneath you too when pressing on but very confidence inspiring. Like a go kart. I think a club sport s would struggle to stay in touch with a DSg GTI PP and allegedly the CS S has a 70bhp advantage according to VW. I think they fib about the power on the GTI PP. 5 doors and rear seats too unlike the GTI CS S. Both of our Golfs 2016. I've heard some strange comments on here saying GTI too easy to drive and not that fast. All I can say is mine has never been tuned and is rapid. You could quite easily get yourself in to slip angle on our wet and greasy UK b roads in it when on it i.e. crossed up. Try one and drive it like you stole it in sport :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_2815_199.jpg
    img_2815_199.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,267
  • img_2815_199.jpg
    img_2815_199.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,267
  • fullsizeoutput_a8f_194.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a8f_194.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,267
  • fullsizeoutput_a8f_194.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a8f_194.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,267
  • fullsizeoutput_a90_122.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a90_122.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,267
  • fullsizeoutput_a90_122.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a90_122.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,267
  • img_3344_123.jpg
    img_3344_123.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,267
  • img_3344_123.jpg
    img_3344_123.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,267
Magic919 said:
PDK is not the same across all the cars. This is a GT3. The GT3 is regarded as the 'normal' direction.

Haven't seen anyone mention changing it on a BMW.

How interesting. I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to whatever you have until it becomes second nature. My issue is probably because I have 2 cars where the lever configuration on one is different to the other. If they were both same way around then I probably wouldn't have an issue, regardless of which way around they were. I think I do find it more intuitive to push away to change up though. I tend to keep both hands on the wheel, then quick punch forward to change up and flick down/back to change down.

IMI Re Golf R, 7/7.5 is a peach, good fun in manual mode last time I test drove one. I still occasionally regret not buying one instead of the 328, but there's always the next car to be bought... 8)

I love the new MK 8 too Roro. I'd have one in a heart beat money no object. They're pretty expensive though hopefully VW still giving big discounts like they did on our Mk7. I fell off my chair when the dealer told us ours was £35k MRSP (as fully loaded & the CS S only £30,995) so similar money to an R which we also looked at. We have awd on all our other cars so thought it would be nice to get the lighter GTI. They gave us a £6 or £7k discount which I was delighted with on the GTI PP as Mk 7.5 was just being launched. Hooligan when you want it to be but drove to Bristol and back to see a 550M on Collecting Cars and got 40mpg. I've used it masses over last 15 months. Not missed my 911 its so chuckable down my favourite roads you can carry crazy speed.

Attachments

• img_3138_160.jpg
    img_3138_160.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,243
  • img_3138_160.jpg
    img_3138_160.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,243
987 PDK I had was pretty good, just needed not to kickdown in M mode and be smoother around town.

996.2 Tiptronic pleasantly surprised me coming from a manual Porsche. I only drive it in M mode though (disables kickdown). Now that I don't drive that often, I do miss the manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back