Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would you do? (More engine probs)

To be fair cars like ours are an expensive luxury/hobby whichever main stream model you buy. Some 993/964 owners spend a small fortune keeping or bringing their cars up to the standard they want them to be. No upgrading (if thats fair) to a 996/7 Turbo for them. That in its self costs a fair bit and then they can cost you more to service etc. The n/a 996 C4S is the car for me and I'm therefore prepared to spend some money to future proof it, hopefully before it goes bang. I know I'll never get my money back but then I love the car so, so what?

All the cars mentioned above are great cars so if you love yours then spend if you have to and enjoy it for many years to come.. :thumb:

I did flirt with the idea of a 996 Turbo but its way to fast for me.... :oops: :oops:

Budweisier echoes my point - an expensive Gentlemen's Club.
I would be surprised if there were many membersin this forum who didn't spend some money within the first year of ownership putting the car right and getting it to the spec and standard they expect.

The reality is that with the prices as they are, it attracts people who buy but don't have the cash to maintain the car properly - things get missed, only the bare necessities of repairs and servicing are carried out and they pass the car on within two years. Now multiply that by the number of <2yrs owners and the next guy buys with a long-term view in mind. To his shock/horror he picks up all those items that prior owners skipped and has to spend crazy to put the car right - from mechanical issues such as replacing the IMS seal and bearing to sorting out scored bores, suspension refresh, full geometry, wheels refurbed, air con regas, rads & condensors, brake discs and pads, clutch, paintwork looking in need of detailing, spark plugs, major service that hasn't been done for a few years because of penny-pinching owners carrying out successive "Annual Inspections" stamped in the book to make it look as if it has full Porsche History etc. etc.

That is why I have always tried to bring out my view that these cars might have a low acquisition cost nowadays, but they are high maintenance cars - be in no doubt. The Turbo the same - different set of issues. I always assume a car is hiding bills and it is down to me to find them.

Finally Budweiser - The Turbo may be too fast for you, but just think of the big grin as you accelerate to warp speed with a whooosh sound of the turbos and the relaxing sleep you'll enjoy not worrrying about the NA car issues.

There is an awful lot of sense spoken on here so far, which is a rare thing on fora these days!

I bought the car for less than its book value knowing it needed all of the usual things doing bar the clutch - which had just been done but without having the ims done also. I currently stand out of pocket though after everything I've done but this was with the intention of having a really well sorted car.

My Indy knows the company who auto farm use to sleeve their cylinders and this is a route I could go down. The problem is that the uk Porsche piston supplier is tied into a deal with auto farm and possibly Hartech, so sourcing pistons is potentially an issue.

All of this is assuming that this work is required during my ownership. I wouldn't think twice about trading into a dealer for a turbo next year but this year I have other commitments. I wouldn't sell privately though as that would be evil!!

I also think I'd rather have the epic beauty of the c4s than a boxster.

It's a tough one but I suppose its like a strange mole. You know it's there and you have to keep an eye on it in case it changes, but you get used to it eventually. Unless you bite the bullet and get it removed.....

ragpicker said:
There is an awful lot of sense spoken on here so far, which is a rare thing on fora these days!

I bought the car for less than its book value knowing it needed all of the usual things doing bar the clutch - which had just been done but without having the ims done also. I currently stand out of pocket though after everything I've done but this was with the intention of having a really well sorted car.

My Indy knows the company who auto farm use to sleeve their cylinders and this is a route I could go down. The problem is that the uk Porsche piston supplier is tied into a deal with auto farm and possibly Hartech, so sourcing pistons is potentially an issue.

All of this is assuming that this work is required during my ownership. I wouldn't think twice about trading into a dealer for a turbo next year but this year I have other commitments. I wouldn't sell privately though as that would be evil!!

It's a tough one but I suppose its like a strange mole. You know it's there and you have to keep an eye on it in case it changes, but you get used to it eventually. Unless you bite the bullet and get it removed.....

I don't really understand what the problem is here. Every engine will have slightly scored bores over time it's just part of the process. The end process is getting it rebuilt but until that day - and I bet yours is miles off - get out there and enjoy it :thumb:

freddie44 said:
ragpicker said:

I don't really understand what the problem is here. Every engine will have slightly scored bores over time it's just part of the process. The end process is getting it rebuilt but until that day - and I bet yours is miles off - get out there and enjoy it :thumb:

I think this is the attitude to have although not every engine does score. I was looking at the insides of a 993 engine with 283k miles on the clock only last week which was in for a rebuild. You could still see the cross hatching in each cylinder with no hint of thinning or scoring!

I also know of a 997.1 which developed scoring at 20 odd k miles and remains unchanged now on 80k miles.

When it happens to your P&J though it is very unsettling. I think I'm just going to have to grow a pair and live with it!

Incidentally it appears as though the price of the 996 c4s has risen a bit recently. Only 3-4 months ago they were £14-18k with avg miles. Now they are £17-22k. (Just a pistonheads search)

kas750 said:
In view of how much you have already spent i would be inclined to carry on using the car and try to put £250 a month to one side for when you need to do the repair.
According to Hartech all of these engines will succumb to oval cylinders at some stage so its a matter of when rather than if.
Is the oil consumption excessive?

With regard to oval cylinders, does the Nikasil liner route solve that or just the bore scoring? Ie will the new liners eventually oval too?

It is my understanding - and correct me if I'm wrong - that the scoring happens on the inferior (lowest/thrust) side of the cylinder. Therefore the cylinder will become oval as it becomes worn. By using the liners which shouldn't score you shouldn't get oval cylinders.

I'm not quite sure wher 'ringing' the cylinders comes in though....

I too have a C4S, and my feelings are that if I find a major fault, I'll get it fixed. I bought the car as a keeper, and bought the best I could find. I love the car but have no desires for a Turbo as I don't like turbo'd petrol cars. Mine may or may never, develop expensive problems, but the same is true of ANY car. I look after it the best I can, and drive it to enjoy. I've done 4k miles in 6 months and it gets better with every drive. I try not to think about all the things that can go wrong, but will deal with any as/if they arise. I've spend about £2k getting mine where I want it and wouldn't consider disposing of it if it developed issues. I entered into 996 ownership with my eyes open ,but looking at the long game. If it breaks, I'll fix it, even if it means I'll have to keep it for a bit longer than planned. It's going to go @600 miles over this coming weekend, I shall be smiling for every single one. OP, just drive yours, that expensive bill may never appear.

Shurv said:
I too have a C4S, and my feelings are that if I find a major fault, I'll get it fixed. I bought the car as a keeper, and bought the best I could find. I love the car but have no desires for a Turbo as I don't like turbo'd petrol cars. Mine may or may never, develop expensive problems, but the same is true of ANY car. I look after it the best I can, and drive it to enjoy. I've done 4k miles in 6 months and it gets better with every drive. I try not to think about all the things that can go wrong, but will deal with any as/if they arise. I've spend about £2k getting mine where I want it and wouldn't consider disposing of it if it developed issues. I entered into 996 ownership with my eyes open ,but looking at the long game. If it breaks, I'll fix it, even if it means I'll have to keep it for a bit longer than planned. It's going to go @600 miles over this coming weekend, I shall be smiling for every single one. OP, just drive yours, that expensive bill may never appear.

Many thanks Shurv, this is what I have resolved to do and also to stop second guessing the future! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back