Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What obvious things to look for when buying a new car .

deMort

Monaco
I just answered a PM and thought why not share it and ask for anything i have missed when looking at a new car with a view to buying it .

I'm a little cynical shall we say but this is what i said ...

Trust me when spending this sort of money you need to take your time .. also any you view and like you will need a ppi on ..

This can add up when you do a few and the cars turn out to be not what is expected of them !

my aim is to try and single out the ones worth viewing.

I would say .. know what you want and go for that type of car .. it's easy to suddenly see a 997 in the budget range and think i'll go for that instead .. every model upwards and you start at the bottom of the cost list for that model .. ie its a base pretty crap car !

Ok normal things ..

The car needs to be stone cold when you turn up .. if warm then there needs to be a dam good reason .. cold issues .. plenty of them so it needs to be cold ... it's a walk away moment shall we say .

Start it up .. it should smoke for 20 seconds then stop .. more is an issue.

Any rattles from startup and cold .. tappets is what i'm thinking .

Coolant lvl .. needs to be on max .. question .. has it been topped up .

tail pipes if very clean then again why ??? they should both be the same color .. one more sooty than the other is not good .

Tyres .. what tread .. need 4 mm and less and you will be buying new soon .

Brake pads .. 5 mm min .. finger on the outside of the disc .. the lip edge of the brake disc basically .. you want less than 1 mm .. you can kinda feel if there is a large lip or not .

these brakes rot on the inner face .. hard to see if no ramp i'm afraid .. try to feel with your hands .. take a cloth as you will get dirty lol .

look at the inside .. how worn are the carpets .. steering wheel .. seats .. pedal rubbers ..take that into account with the recorded mileage .. does it seem correct for the wear you see .. these cars can and do get clocked .. shaved .. a few miles deleted basically.

Service history .. mot history .. as i said last post .. look for a car with no advisories and a good history .. not just yearly service but the major service done on time .

Road test .. car should obviously drive well but what noises / knocking sounds .. diag arms are a common one .. a bonk .. bonk bonk .. bonk bonk bonk type noise .. front or rear ... not an issue but expensive to stop the rather annoying noise .

Body work is what you can live with so ill not comment there .

car at operating temps .. again no noises .. open the drivers door and blip the throttle .

a/c on .. any hissing noises or does it actually work .. both are a leak which can get expensive to fix .. not an issue as such unless you want a/c .

hands down the back of the carpets behind the front seats .. any dampness .

If you find a good one then put a holding deposit on it subject to a ppi inspection .. many people lose out because they don't do this.

obviously if the owner doesn't want a ppi done then walk away .

Head rules heart in these matters .. think logically .. and for me .. as an old cynic .. i want to know why they are selling the car and what might they be trying to hide if anything .

I agree most people are probably not doing that .. but so many years in the game has made me doubt everyone i'm afraid .. you don't need to be as bad as me but just be sensible and use your head .

That's a perfect criteria but when buying a used car, you will be waiting a long time for every box to be ticked.

I agree with all the mechanical stuff but tyres and brakes can be replaced easily, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

I also wouldn't worry too much about MOT advisories.

This is just my opinion. DeMort is the Porsche expert.

I would add that if your not used to porsche they can sound tappity

I think the more you can spot yourself then the more you have a figure of what you will need to spend .. if it starts getting expensive then you can walk away without paying for a PPI .

I use things like MOT history as a judge along with service,s done as to whether i think the car has been looked after or not .. again the more info you have then you can decide whether to pay for a ppi or not or even travel the distance to view the car.

996 .. PPI with an option if you want it of a scope check.

997 .. PPI AND a scope check.

One to add .. look in the front air intake ducts .. and oil / damp patch on the a/c condensers then that's something you will end up replacing .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back