Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wax vs Sealant

911KSM

Monza
All,

I'm still new to this detailing world and have a lot to learn and sometimes find the array of products out there quite baffling. I recently purchase some of the poorboys products for my atlas metallic grey C4S. I have used Black Hole Glaze, QD+ and Natty Paste to get a good finish which i have been pleased with and a step up from my Turtle Wax days.

Last night I was looking on the Polishedbliss website (excellent service) and am thinking about trying one of the sealants. The Blackfire Crystal Seal caught my eye as it looks like a real easy product to use with great results. But it looks as though you have to use a polish first to remove the wax before you can apply the sealant. I was hoping that I could apply straight on top of the wax but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So my question is does anyone prefer sealant over wax and what are the real benefits. I am in the early learning stages so any advise would be welcome.

Kevin.

Hi Kev,
There is an alternative you could try. I was converted to the sonax extreme quick Detailer a few months ago and the results are astonishing almost sealant like, in fact one or two people think it should be classed as a sealant.
I waxed about 3 month ago and now after every wash spend just ten minutes applying the sonax, simply spray on wipe and then buff.
The beading and protection not to mention shine it gives are immense but don't just take my word for it, check out the reviews on detailing world and you tube.

I've checked out the YouTube links and it looks good. Thanks for the tip stoke potter.

Kevin.

plus 1 for the Sonax. I bought a lot of stuff from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
after speaking to them to get some advice.

I've been "detailing" my cars for a few years and tried a few different products but wanted the current thinking. They advised SONAX Xtreme Protect & Shine Hybrid NPT - which is the sealant.

It is very very easy to use and the water beading is just superb - the best I have experienced. I top up with SONAX Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer.

I tried out the detailer on it's own and even that was great - so for a relatively low price I would highly recommend trying these out.

I thinks these are still quite new in this country and not everyone knows about them (yet)

Graham

You can use both bud - get your sealant on first for long lasting protection, then apply your wax for that warm or wet look shine :)

Chris

From a technical viewpoint sealants are better. For more control and involvement you can't beat using a wax. Just a personal view.

The best sealants will last a lot longer than current waxes and as others have said once applied are very easy to top up to maintain the protection and beading properties. I have used the Gtechniq range most recently and while pricey do seem to last an extremely long time.

There is a great YouTube detailing series called 'driveclean'. It's done by a pro detailer in NYC and his tips and techniques are very easy to understand.

He says all you need to strip the car back to the clear coat (Ie remove the wax) is fairy liquid. Then you can seal / wax away til your heart is content. You an also see the paint in its bare form and see any swirls and defects which maybe hidden by the wax.

He also recommends layering wax over sealants.

Look him up, it's pretty cool stuff (if you're into detailing) :thumb:

I've used fairly liquid pre a full detail for years. It is the only time it should touch your car and you should give a good rinse off due to the very high salt content ;-)

The way it was explained to me is that wax has a melting point so if you are driving about on a hot day it will allow crap to stick to it. So a good polish and sealant is better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back