Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Want to improve your handling, read this!

Went out for a longer and more 'spirited' drive Sunday. The initial vibration through the cabin has gone. The car is definitely more planted and steady. A big improvement. Bring on Castle Combe on the 24th :driving:

I have the Type911 RS engine mounts and Powerflex transmission insert.
A little more vibration at idle and at speed, but not annoyingly so. Noise levels about the same.

Gearchange improved and the pendulum effect is much less pronounced.

Well worth doing.

Yes that's the ones. I used the original bolts as they are definitely stronger than the ones supplied. The supplied ones also are slightly longer and one of them bottomed out in the hole with me and snapped off which was fun!!

Looks a relatively straightforward DIY job to do the transmission mounts but the lengthy 997 thread on which ones reaches no agreement on the best ones like it does for the Powerflex 996 versions.

I've just ordered some Rennline engine mounts and will attempt to fit myself. Anyone have a how to guide? I've seen one video on YouTube that helps but any other advice gratefully received. Thanks

I've been out for a drive today.

I can feel the engine moving quite dramatically between gear changes. But in the same way my 996 did so I assumed it was quite normal. But after reading this thread, I'm adding these to my shopping list.

Maybe I'll fit them when I drop the engine a bit when I try to retro fit my dipstick.

I'm excited. More GT feel. Yes please.

Thanks, that's helpful. I think I'll try this myself, remove the air box, six bolts, what could possibly go wrong....😬 They should arrive next week so may fit them at the weekend....

The aftermarket RS mounts for £125 are made by Uro. Mixed feedback found on Rennlist.

I think the Rennlines come with three different inserts - so I can play with inserts if too harsh on NVH. I like the thought of a tighter drive train but don't want to shake my fillings out (although thankfully I don't have any!). Expensive week with this and the 4 new Michelins!

Hizza said:
I think the Rennlines come with three different inserts - so I can play with inserts if too harsh on NVH. I like the thought of a tighter drive train but don't want to shake my fillings out (although thankfully I don't have any!). Expensive week with this and the 4 new Michelins!

OK got it cheers. IM not a DIY guy so ill go RS, get them fitted and see how they go....

I'll feedback once they are on.

Cheers

Dan

... just had the tyres fitted this morning, so decided to crack on with the Rennline mounts this afternoon. Managed to dodge most of the showers! I went for the most compliant "street" mounts rather than sport or race which I left in the box. The job took me a couple of hours and I had to pop out to Halfords as my torque wrench doesn't go down to the low torque required on these bolts - 18, 30 and 60 lbs/ft range required.

It's a lovely looking piece of kit and makes the OEM mounts look decidedly low rent.

Fitting was fiddly due to location of bolts which has to be done by feel under engine but the second one was much quicker to do as I knew what I was doing.

A quick test drive and:

. The engine didn't drop on the floor so I must have done something right.

. More NVH, as expected, sort of base of the seat vibration, especially at idle. Almost as if I'd fitted slightly knobbly tyres.

. Everything feels a bit tighter.

. Glad I didn't fit Sport or Race, Street is fine.

. Need to let it settle, re-torque after 100 miles , get used to it but overall quite pleased and if I don't like it, easy to put the OEM's back.

. Pretty simple to fit, if I can do it anyone can.

. If my wife notices anything I'm going to blame it on the new Michelins.....

Will let you know more once I've done a few miles but initial thoughts are easy mod with much improved driver connection to the drivetrain.

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back